Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

#90 : November 26, 2008, 06:18:23 PM

Haven't any of you hard azzes ever met someone you just couldn't give up on? Clayton is that guy for me. There's something about the kid I like. His intensity and tenacity being a couple of things that come to mind quickly. Not making any excuses here as I know he's under performed based on his rookie year and seems to have a bit of a confidence problem. But this year we see evidence, not just talk, of him coming out of it.

I'll admit he's closer to bust than glory, but I just got a feeling about this kid...

I've been bashing this guy for a few years but like you, I can't this year. Dude just doesn't get opportunity.

As someone previously stated, I don't think there are many WRs that would be successful in this offense in its current state. Its just not WR friendly and I think it goes directly back to the Qb. Its so frustrating to watch other QBs go thru their progressions often times gettin the ball to the 3rd or 4th option while for us, its Bryant or a checkdown to the back or TE.

Why would any big time WR want to come here under these conditions unless its strictly for a boatload of cash?

Anyone who watched Brees pick apart the Pack Monday knows what a good QB looks like. Comparing that with Garcia is depressing.

Dude was surgical.... truly a thing of beauty. Again, who the hell is Lance Moore?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#91 : November 26, 2008, 07:14:25 PM

People here no longer recognize sub-par QB play. We've had such terrible play from that position for so long even Garcia looks good to many posters here.

8-3 looks good to me.

But that 8-3 ain't Garcia, its the team...

Garcia still looks sub-par, while I "enjoy" the team wins.

Thank God for Defense and Special Teams or we might not be talking 8-3.
Garcia generally does not put up gaudy, shiny stats.  BUt he does win a lot of games...

So whatever you want to call it, garcia is manning the team, and he has managed to get the Bucs in position to win it a lot.  He is more valuable than Griese, IMO.  If Griese were in, the BUcs would be a lot worse, IMO...

I cannot bag on Jeff too hard, I mean he DOES need to put up the TDs more often.  Of course he does.  BUt at 8-3, I am not crying in the proverbial soup until it becomes an matter of wins being in small quantity.

Whatever the Bucs are doing, which is playing OUTSTANDING defense and moving the ball into scoring range, is working.  Now if Garcia can throw it into the endzone quicker, these close games will be BLOWOUTS.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#92 : November 26, 2008, 07:17:53 PM

Garcia is just playing possum...he is waiting for the playoffs to begin then he will turn into a touchdown throwing machine.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#93 : November 26, 2008, 07:19:27 PM

The record speaks for itself - and looking at the team - it is the team winning - with Garcia - and with a chance to win a few more - well there is not a damn thing wrong with that part.  Sure would like to see those BLOWOUTS though - and yuc, from your lips... er... fingers to God's ears...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#94 : November 26, 2008, 07:23:15 PM

The record speaks for itself - and looking at the team - it is the team winning - with Garcia - and with a chance to win a few more - well there is not a damn thing wrong with that part.  Sure would like to see those BLOWOUTS though - and yuc, from your lips... er... fingers to God's ears...
I would like to see the blowouts too.

Maybe because Jeff is getting paid what he wants, he is keeping the scores in "covering" range to make sure he gets paid in his gambling habits.

Nah.  Just made that up.

He needs to throw quicker in the red zone, and the team needs to stop making STUPID mistakes that push them out of reach.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#95 : November 26, 2008, 07:25:41 PM

He said he is being too conservative - and him acknowledging that is a start - sure would like to see him improve in that area...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#96 : November 26, 2008, 10:51:02 PM

How can you say he's not a quality starter?  He's done that before and we all witnessed it.  Why are we limiting the guy?  He's obviously done it to himself trying to get his head straight.  I think he can contribute whereever you put him, to include special teams which people always overlook...

Because I'll take the recent 4 seasons over 2004? Come on, don't be a homer. The guy has played better this season, but when you compare what he offers to many, many other starters in the league, it's not really a contest. Then it goes back to the old Clayton positive thats beaten to death "but he's a good blocker".......

There was a time when Caddy was a franchise back and Clayton was much more than a quality starter. But that time definitely is not now....

Also, on this team STs is almost never overlooked. Guys like Black, Hayward, Stovall, Hayes, etc etc get love from the fans despite rarely seeing the field on regular downs.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#97 : November 26, 2008, 11:01:02 PM

Garcia generally does not put up gaudy, shiny stats.  BUt he does win a lot of games...

So whatever you want to call it, garcia is manning the team, and he has managed to get the Bucs in position to win it a lot.  He is more valuable than Griese, IMO.  If Griese were in, the BUcs would be a lot worse, IMO...

I cannot bag on Jeff too hard, I mean he DOES need to put up the TDs more often.  Of course he does.  BUt at 8-3, I am not crying in the proverbial soup until it becomes an matter of wins being in small quantity.

Whatever the Bucs are doing, which is playing OUTSTANDING defense and moving the ball into scoring range, is working.  Now if Garcia can throw it into the endzone quicker, these close games will be BLOWOUTS.

I've argued this with Griese, and I'm staying consistent on Garcia. You can't just go by W/L record with a QB. Rex Grossman has a great W/L record as a QB. Their play should be able to stand alone, just like any other position. If we can't criticize Griese or Garcia because they "played well enough to win", then we shouldn't be criticizing Barber or Trueblood or Haye because they "played well enough to win" apparently as well. What it comes down to is a QB's play should be able to show more than just a TEAM statistic.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#98 : November 27, 2008, 08:32:11 AM

People here no longer recognize sub-par QB play.  We've had such terrible play from that position for so long even Garcia looks good to many posters here.

Right on Doc !! We have been desensitized with mediocrity.. Imagine what we would be like with a QB like Brees as our signal caller!!
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools