Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For those who want to see a real pass rusher « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 14

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

: November 23, 2008, 11:40:23 PM

You got your chance in the colts vs chargers game

dwight freeney is a premier pass rusher...he gets pressure almost every time the qb drops back...either he beats his guy around the edge, he spins to the inside, or he goes straight up and bull rushes the tackle back..he needs to be double teamed or he'll be back there almost every time

Gaines Adams is no where even close to this level...he is a mediocre at best pass rusher...and i mean at best...most of the time he's actually pretty bad

almost every single time the qb drops back, adams run 10 yards up the field behind the qb and out of the play....its only every once and a while, meaning every few games, that he'll beat his blocker to the outside and get a clean rush at the qb

The sack he got today was not a good play by him...it was just a coverage sack...he ran way to the outside again and out of the play, but since the qb moved to the side and took way too long to get ride of it, adams was able to run along the entire perimeter and come from behind

I'm not saying he won't ever be good..but i am saying he is not that good yet...people make him out to be, and make excuses such as, there is no interior push so its hard for him to get sacks cuz the qb can step up...thats bull**CENSORED**, as there was no interior push by the colts tonight and freeney was manhandling one of the best tackles in the league and getting consistant pressure

#1 : November 23, 2008, 11:41:21 PM

Thanks for the input

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 23, 2008, 11:41:47 PM

Gaines is playing nowhere near his potential yet.  Let's hope he cranks it up a notch down the stretch.  We definitely need to get him some more help on the line, though.

CrAsH_oVeRdRiVe

Rookie

#3 : November 24, 2008, 12:31:06 AM

Are you serious? Freeney wishes he could play run defense as good as Gaines, he wishes he could drop into coverage like Gaines, he also wishes he didn't take a two year break from the NFL. What Gaines has lacked in pass rush he's made up for in effort and play making.... and no Freeney doesn't get pressure on every play. I've seem him rountinely disappear from games.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 24, 2008, 12:36:38 AM

Are you serious? Freeney wishes he could play run defense as good as Gaines, he wishes he could drop into coverage like Gaines, he also wishes he didn't take a two year break from the NFL. What Gaines has lacked in pass rush he's made up for in effort and play making.... and no Freeney doesn't get pressure on every play. I've seem him rountinely disappear from games.
agree...

Gaines is a different type of defender than Freeney is.  Gaines canbe utilized in a variety of ways.  Ho wmany times have you seen him chase down running backs?  Or drop nicely into coverage?  Or get the QB to move in the pocket?

Freeney is a pure pass rusher, but he is no run stopper, as a matter of fact, he is rather bad in that regard.  And he NEVER drops into coverage. 

Apples and Oranges bro.  I like Gaines, and coverage sack or not, he has the hustle to get there.  If he doesn't guess what?  The secondary gets shredded.  It may be coverage related, but if it were not for Adams actually motoring over there, as he did several times a second too late, the QB will find a open man a split second later...

Call it what you want, but Gaines is a GREAT defensive player, and he is always in the mix at the LOS.  He is no pushover, like Simeon Rice.

lec05010

Second String

#5 : November 24, 2008, 01:15:38 AM

I can strongly say that Gaines Adams is the BEST defensive end  in pass coverage.  There were times this season where i was saying i wish gaines was covering a man instead of ronde.  joking of course after some of rondes bad plays this season.  However shut me up today. But gaines is a great all around defensive player.  Very underrated against the run.  and on third downs he rushes from the left which is not his strength but is still a force.  and he is in coverage a lot of times instead of rushing.  The heart and commitment gaines plays with will keep him in the league for a long time. 

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 24, 2008, 01:39:51 AM

Gaines is doing well and like people around here have been saying for some time, an effective interior pass rush would make him look a heck of a lot better than he has been. If QB gets flushed out, he walks right into Gaines' waiting arms. Our weakness is the interior rush if anything IMO, this coming from a once supporter, now crow eating Jovan Haye fan.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 24, 2008, 05:53:26 AM

Gaines has only scratched the surface of his potential IMO. He's slowly developing into a complete DE who can do it all, but I think he needs to work on a few pass rush moves. He relies on his speed rush a little too often.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

goldengeese

Rookie
#8 : November 25, 2008, 09:30:05 AM

Sacks are a very overrated statistic, because they often reflect the defense as a whole, not the player as an individual.

Player A's first 20 games -- 37 tackles, 16 sacks, 3 passes defensed
Player A's last 15 games -- 33 tackles, 1 sack, 2 passes defensed

Player A is Mark Anderson. Let's not forget the insane bashing this organization took for not drafting him, and he hasn't recorded a solo sack in almost 2 seasons!

Gaines may never be a 15, 16 sack player because on obvious passing downs, we drop him into coverage, we stand him up at the line of scrimmage as a spy, etc. We never seem to give him an inside-outside option, and while he is prone to going too wide, the lack of inside pass rush hurts him because all QB's do is step up into the pocket when he gets around the edge.

He's never going to get as many sacks as Simeon because he is a complete player who doesn't freelance but actually plays the defense.

He's also the best pass rusher to come out of last year's draft by far.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#9 : November 24, 2008, 07:37:38 PM

agree...

Gaines is a different type of defender than Freeney is. Gaines canbe utilized in a variety of ways. Ho wmany times have you seen him chase down running backs? Or drop nicely into coverage? Or get the QB to move in the pocket?

Freeney is a pure pass rusher, but he is no run stopper, as a matter of fact, he is rather bad in that regard. And he NEVER drops into coverage.

Apples and Oranges bro. I like Gaines, and coverage sack or not, he has the hustle to get there. If he doesn't guess what? The secondary gets shredded. It may be coverage related, but if it were not for Adams actually motoring over there, as he did several times a second too late, the QB will find a open man a split second later...

Call it what you want, but Gaines is a GREAT defensive player, and he is always in the mix at the LOS. He is no pushover, like Simeon Rice.

Simeon Rice is what gaines adams wishes he could be

simeon rice got sacks off the snap of the ball, all of his sacks werent coverage sacks...he got pressure way more than adams has

rice had double digit sack seasons in the first two years, which adams didn't[he's not on pace to this year]

I do agree that adams is pretty good dropping into coverage, and can play the run enough that he isn't a major liability...but i'd trade all of that in for someone who actually can pressure the qb, because right now adams is a non factor in that category

and for those that argued rice dissapeared for games and got most of his sacks in only a few of the games...well adams is the apitamy of doing that...he's had 5 of his sacks this year in 3 games....getting a sack in 3 out of 11 games is a horrible statistic..but the difference between him and rice is that rice got pressure even in the games he didn't get sacks...adams doesn't even get pressure the games he does get sacks..he'll get his one or two sacks and than be a non factor the rest of the game

I've never seen someone run 10 yards past the qb and off the screen so many consecutive plays in my life

Pulling Guard

Second String

#10 : November 24, 2008, 07:39:19 PM

I'm no Gaines basher, but I would have no problem with him being  "like Simeon Rice".

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 24, 2008, 07:40:47 PM

Simeon Rice is what gaines adams wishes he could be
Agreed. It's pretty obvious Adams will never be like Rice. Here's to hoping he can at least be as good as Aaron Kampman.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 24, 2008, 07:50:37 PM

Flawed thinking, Freeney has another edge rusher opposite him that plays the other side and a third player that comes in on known passing downs. While Adams has no seconded player along the line to help out in the pass rush department.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#13 : November 24, 2008, 08:33:22 PM

Flawed thinking, Freeney has another edge rusher opposite him that plays the other side and a third player that comes in on known passing downs. While Adams has no seconded player along the line to help out in the pass rush department.

I can argue that wilkerson and greg white since they started playing have been just as good as mathis...the difference is that freeney gets pressure consistantly wether mathis is also

those who watched the game last night would know what i was talking about..every time rivers dropped back freeney was breathing down his neck

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#14 : November 24, 2008, 08:55:40 PM

Does anyone honestly watch bucs game, and see him being able to bring this type of stuff to the table??

you'd be lying if you said yes
Page: 1 2 3 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For those who want to see a real pass rusher « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools