Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How awesome is that?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

zed

Pro Bowler

: January 06, 2007, 03:29:33 AM

“We’re in good shape right now,” said Allen. “We’re at about $24 million under the cap. We’re $36 million under the ’08 cap and $49 million under the following year.”

http://buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5616

#1 : January 06, 2007, 05:51:33 AM

Yeah... BUT!  Who knows what we're gonna spend on new talent this year (F.A's + Draft).  It could go crazy. I dont see how you can look past 1 yr the way the NFL is now and be accurate.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 06, 2007, 07:35:13 AM

It's always damn good to know that the Cap isn't gonna get as bad as when McKay structured the contracts though.

#3 : January 06, 2007, 08:49:53 AM

That's interesting. FA Bidding wars could get pretty crazy in that case.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 06, 2007, 09:31:41 AM

It is really awesome Zed - Allen has made some tough and questionable decisions to get a great outcome for the foreseeable future.  And yes there must but a present and future plan for cap room as this team sifts through current squad, this year's fa and draft, as well as plans to fill spots in the future where current players aren't getting it done.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 06, 2007, 09:41:20 AM

“We’re in good shape right now,” said Allen. “We’re at about $24 million under the cap. We’re $36 million under the ’08 cap and $49 million under the following year.”

Sick thing is we're about average in the league with that cap room right now. Everyone who signed a new deal last year is gonna be really pissed off when this off-season is over.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 06, 2007, 09:46:56 AM

Dal - Allen mentioned keeping Rice and Kelly, and said Rice should be healthy/recovered soon.  I wonder if the "vote of confidence" applies.  Another 10mill or so available with two best wishes handshakes...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 06, 2007, 09:49:49 AM

Dal - Allen mentioned keeping Rice and Kelly, and said Rice should be healthy/recovered soon.  I wonder if the "vote of confidence" applies.  Another 10mill or so available with two best wishes handshakes...

I'm not sure what losing Kelly buys us - unless he's taking the Deion Sanders route out of the NFL with that toe. Kelly is, by 2006 standards a bargain of a CB, he's gonna be an insane bargain by the time 2007 starts. If we release him anyone we sign that is of any quality like his is abound to cost a ton more.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 06, 2007, 09:56:07 AM

Doesn't buy anything but potential cap room - reports about his recovery aren't coming out so I wonder.  He is a bargain, and with only year left in line for the renegociation by Allens guidelines.  More concerned about his toe/foot enabling him to play.  If P buchanon gets an early contract done, I would take that as a signal that BKs foot is not doing well.

Back to the question, I read the article and felt the dreaded vote of confidence was in the background, we'll see. 

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 06, 2007, 10:00:42 AM

Yeah... BUT!  Who knows what we're gonna spend on new talent this year (F.A's + Draft).  It could go crazy. I dont see how you can look past 1 yr the way the NFL is now and be accurate.

GMs slot contracts...that's how you stay out of cap hell. McKay never grasped that concept and that's why our cap situation has sucked for 4 years. Allen is definitely a genius when it comes to the salary cap - so I am not worried about our cap. I'm worried about them selecting the CORRECT players to make the Buccaneers competitive quickly.

I believe we can have a dramatic turn around IF we select the right players. Further, if those players are still relatively young, we should (hopefully) be able to sustain that success.

We've gone through some lean, lean years - 05  was a reprieve. Now we should be returning to the "salad days". Can our management do it?

I hope so.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 06, 2007, 10:06:42 AM

You think the Glazers are happy with $100 million in cap relief over the next three years or mad that we only won 4 games? It's a business.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 06, 2007, 10:44:21 AM

Rusty, b4 we call it cap relief it would be nice to know how many players are signed through the referenced time periods.  Great to have 36 mill to spend - assuming we need to contract with 45 players - ya know what i mean.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 06, 2007, 10:48:26 AM

Rusty, b4 we call it cap relief it would be nice to know how many players are signed through the referenced time periods.  Great to have 36 mill to spend - assuming we need to contract with 45 players - ya know what i mean.

Well obviously the jump next year might be basically Rice and his $10m going away + the new TV deal for example. We're gonna eat a lot of that future room up when we sign anyone this year, if we use $15m or cap space that'll normally radiate forward as more than that, for example.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#13 : January 06, 2007, 11:10:05 AM

Caddy and CLayton are through 2009. Joseph is 2011. Barber is 2010, as is Hovan. Trueblood will likely get an extention next season if he continues to perform, as will Dan B. if he gets back into form. Galloways' to 2008 or 2009, Ruud's an RFA next season (liekly extention this season). Other than that, we don't have any guys with major contract scares in the coming years.

You damn well better believe we'll be able to pick some good guys up.

#14 : January 06, 2007, 11:18:15 AM

So are 10 or more other teams.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How awesome is that?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools