Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Clayton Getting Involved « previous next »
Page: 1

psymun

Starter
« : October 12, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

I haven't seen this posted...

Some of that added variety came as the result of trickier play-calling. Clayton caught only one pass for seven yards (another diving catch was also erased by a penalty) but he turned in a big 27-yard gain on a reverse in the second quarter. So far, Clayton’s reception totals look more like those produced in his injury-plagued second season than his record-setting rookie campaign, but that may change soon. Gruden acknowledged that the team is looking for ways to get Clayton more involved in the offense.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5419

Galloway has caught 14 of 34 (41.2%) passes thrown his way... Including 2 drops...

Clayton has caught 10 of 22 (45.5%)... 0 Drops...

And before any of you start saying Clayton has had drops, you are correct, but they're registered on stat reports as defensive pass breakups... as well as some of Joey Galloway's drops...

My basic point is that neither one of our top 2 receivers are producing due to the fact that we've had sub-par QB play.

Good receivers have a 60 percent reception frequency IF their QBs are performing properly...

Now, if Gradkowski stays consistent, and Gruden does indeed get Clayton involved... we will truly see what we've got in M80...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 12, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

I would go in another direction Psymun.

Look at how many catches Carnell, Clayton, Galloway, Becht, Smith, Pittman and Hilliard have.  All of them are relatively close which means the ball is being spread around.  Factor in that Stovall will be given some chances to catch some balls and this is exactly what Gruden evisions for his WCO.  An even distrubution of the catches to multiple targets.  Lets see if Grads can continue to spread the ball around.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 12, 2006, 10:09:15 PM »

Look at how many catches Carnell, Clayton, Galloway, Becht, Smith Pittman and Hilliard have. All of them are relatively close which means the ball is being spread around. Factor in that Stovall will be given some chances to catch some balls and this is exactly what Gruden evisions for his WCO. An even distrubution of the catches to multiple targets. Lets see if Grads can continue to spread the ball around.

Spreading the ball isn't the issue here.  It is percentage of succesfull catches per throws his way.

But I agree (in principle to your statement), keeping the ball spread around keeps defenses honest.  It forces LBers to cover TEs, and RBs, safeties and CB cover wideouts.  And that sounds simple, but it is very important. 

gone

Hall of Famer
« #3 : October 12, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »

We just changed QBs.  So just reset the stats to the post simms era, because prior to Grads has no real statistical validity going forward.  After about 60 thrown to for #1 and 40 for #2, and  various for the rest, we'll have a valid sample to work with.

And remember that each individual pass has it's own associated completion percent, based on (among other things) Distance and Down.

Stats are hard to work with.

« #4 : October 12, 2006, 10:46:19 PM »

Look at how many catches Carnell, Clayton, Galloway, Becht, Smith, Pittman and Hilliard have.  All of them are relatively close which means the ball is being spread around.  Factor in that Stovall will be given some chances to catch some balls and this is exactly what Gruden evisions for his WCO.  An even distrubution of the catches to multiple targets.  Lets see if Grads can continue to spread the ball around.

Agreed.  I for one think we need to get the ball to Alex Smith more.  His body seems made of all sharp edges.  Twice on his catches, Saints who attempted to tackle him could not get up after the play.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #5 : October 12, 2006, 10:48:40 PM »

Agreed. I for one think we need to get the ball to Alex Smith more. His body seems made of all sharp edges. Twice on his catches, Saints who attempted to tackle him could not get up after the play.

Having a black belt teaches you how to defense yourself. 

Alex Smith is a blackbelt.

Rock on.

« #6 : October 13, 2006, 09:02:05 AM »

Having a black belt teaches you how to defense yourself. 

Alex Smith is a blackbelt.

Rock on.

Really?  Haha...That's so cool.  I practice Hap Ki Do.  I'm a beginner, but I can tell you that the breathing excercises and focusing "chi" would help incredibly in taking and doling out blows.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 13, 2006, 09:05:04 AM »

Look at how many catches Carnell, Clayton, Galloway, Becht, Smith, Pittman and Hilliard have. All of them are relatively close which means the ball is being spread around. Factor in that Stovall will be given some chances to catch some balls and this is exactly what Gruden evisions for his WCO. An even distrubution of the catches to multiple targets. Lets see if Grads can continue to spread the ball around.

Even further than that...look back at the tape and see the blocking... :o

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 13, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »

Even further than that...look back at the tape and see the blocking... :o

Exactly.  The fact that the backs and tight ends have nearly as many receptions as the WR's tells you that the o-line pass protection has improved to the point where the Bucs do not have to keep extra blockers in all the time now or go to max protect.   It also helps though that the QB is making quick decisions with the football.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #9 : October 13, 2006, 09:13:55 AM »

I'm getting excited about seeing Stovall play more, he's a huge target and he worthless on the sidelines, Gruden is doing a good job of spreading the ball around, now if we can get consistancy, and the defense  to step it up, we have a chance in every game...but lets take it one game at a time...

« #10 : October 13, 2006, 10:00:40 AM »

I'm getting excited about seeing Stovall play more, he's a huge target and he worthless on the sidelines, Gruden is doing a good job of spreading the ball around, now if we can get consistancy, and the defense  to step it up, we have a chance in every game...but lets take it one game at a time...

I'm excited to see Stovall.  I saw him out there on Sun. and he is LARGE.  Looks good.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Clayton Getting Involved « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools