Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New U2 Song ... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 03, 2008, 12:23:16 PM

Any band that thinks they're the greatest in the world = not the greatest lol.

Some of their 80s/90s stuff was alright.. most of it's forgettable.

Can you tell me who had better stuff in the 80s/90s?

REM

Close .... but not quite.  REM's new CD is awesome though.  Love it.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 03, 2008, 12:49:03 PM

There are few bands I think to be better in concert than U2.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 03, 2008, 01:07:58 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am BOOOOOOOOING you guys!

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 03, 2008, 01:20:43 PM

Really like their music and probably the only band I haven't seen in concert that I really want to. So if they go out on tour again I'm making sure to get tickets. I could do without all the social commentary outside of the recording studio, though.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 03, 2008, 01:39:31 PM

Few bands have managed to get the same global appeal and have the same longevity in the last twenty five years.   REM were very popular for a relatively short period of time, and didn’t quite manage the same global popularity as U2.  All credit to U2, they have managed to last a long time while becoming one of the best live rock bands and remaining popular with the masses via the charts/radio.

Can anyone name any groups that even comes close to them in the last twenty five years….groups that achieved the ‘Super Group’ status globally.  Only ones I can think of are REM, Red Hot Chill Peppers, INXS and more recently Cold Play.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 03, 2008, 01:44:27 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am BOOOOOOOOING you guys!

I'm sure most won't take this too seriously coming from someone whose favorite band was nothing more than Spinal Tap with make-up ...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 03, 2008, 01:48:28 PM

For the 80's and 90's, you pretty much have to stick with bands that were big hits in the 80's because the 90's were shiiiite.    

How about.....

U2, INXS, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, The Police, Def Leppard

REM is good, but a 2nd tier band.  They never have and would never be able to sell out a big stadium.   Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe.     I prefer the Talking Heads over REM, but I consider them to be similar.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 03, 2008, 01:49:29 PM

Really like their music and probably the only band I haven't seen in concert that I really want to. So if they go out on tour again I'm making sure to get tickets. I could do without all the social commentary outside of the recording studio, though.

They're touring next year and I actually may make an attempt to see them in Chicago when they go there.  

I disagree on the social commentary thing.  Although I don't necessarily share their zest for all the same issues, I believe it's a credit to them (most importantly Bono) to try and use their wide ranging popularity to advance these causes.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 03, 2008, 01:49:45 PM

There are few bands I think to be better in concert than U2.

No doubt

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 03, 2008, 01:50:43 PM

For the 80's and 90's, you pretty much have to stick with bands that were big hits in the 80's because the 90's were shiiiite.   

How about.....

U2, INXS, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, The Police, Def Leppard

REM is good, but a 2nd tier band.  They never have and would never be able to sell out a big stadium.   Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe.   I prefer the Talking Heads over REM, but I consider them to be similar.

REM could have at times put some butts in seats, but they're a college band at heart and I think they like it that way.

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#25 : December 03, 2008, 02:27:49 PM

Few bands have managed to get the same global appeal and have the same longevity in the last twenty five years. REM were very popular for a relatively short period of time, and didn’t quite manage the same global popularity as U2. All credit to U2, they have managed to last a long time while becoming one of the best live rock bands and remaining popular with the masses via the charts/radio.

Can anyone name any groups that even comes close to them in the last twenty five years….groups that achieved the ‘Super Group’ status globally. Only ones I can think of are REM, Red Hot Chill Peppers, INXS and more recently Cold Play.

ACDC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Ozzie, 3 doors down....kidding.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#26 : December 03, 2008, 03:05:04 PM

FYI, just because you have commercial success doesn't mean you make high quality music.

I can't argue U2 are commercially huge.

But I think  Genesis, Talking Heads, Skinny Puppy, Rush, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, etc.. all put out better stuff and are contemporaries of U2, a lot in much different genres.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 03, 2008, 03:16:13 PM

FYI, just because you have commercial success doesn't mean you make high quality music.

But I think  Genesis, Talking Heads, Skinny Puppy, Rush, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, etc.. all put out better stuff and are contemporaries of U2, a lot in much different genres.

This mainly depends on one's own definiton of "high quality music". As has been noted numerous times, this is a very subjective topic and there's probably no real or wrong answer ...

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#28 : December 03, 2008, 03:19:56 PM

This mainly depends on one's own definiton of "high quality music". As has been noted numerous times, this is a very subjective topic and there's probably no real or wrong answer ...

That's why I only originally said U2 isn't as great as they think they are lol. Bono comes off reaking like he feels U2 is God's gift to man.. they've got some good stuff, but they're not shattering my world with their sounds.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 03, 2008, 03:25:15 PM

But I think? Genesis, Talking Heads, Skinny Puppy, Rush, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, etc.. all put out better stuff and are contemporaries of U2, a lot in much different genres.

That's why I only originally said U2 isn't as great as they think they are lol. Bono comes off reaking like he feels U2 is God's gift to man.. they've got some good stuff, but they're not shattering my world with their sounds.

Do you have a link to where Bono has said he's God's gift to man?  His arrogance is part of his showmanship.  I'd say some of the folks you listed above come off as being pretty arrogant.  I'm not going to knock any of the bands you mentioned, but to make it sound like U2 hasn't come out with any "quality stuff" is pretty absurd.   
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New U2 Song ... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools