Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New U2 Song ... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

Dash Riprock

Starter

#30 : December 03, 2008, 03:27:38 PM

For the 80's and 90's, you pretty much have to stick with bands that were big hits in the 80's because the 90's were shiiiite.    

How about.....

U2, INXS, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, The Police, Def Leppard

REM is good, but a 2nd tier band.  They never have and would never be able to sell out a big stadium.   Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe.   I prefer the Talking Heads over REM, but I consider them to be similar.

REM could have at times put some butts in seats, but they're a college band at heart and I think they like it that way.

Bingo, Rem didn't tour and push themselves like U2, especially after Bill Berry left. Saw U2 thrice ( Sundome, tampa stadium with los lobos, great show) Saw REM 3x's also, once at the Trop with radiohead( great, Great show) so they could sell out a stadium. Best show i ever saw was Queen at MSG in 78, the jazz tour, opened the show with Freddie and a dozen topless ladies riding bikes onto the stage. Being 14 at the time, its hard to top that.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#31 : December 03, 2008, 03:29:44 PM

FYI, just because you have commercial success doesn't mean you make high quality music.

I can't argue U2 are commercially huge.

But I think? Genesis, Talking Heads, Skinny Puppy, Rush, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, etc.. all put out better stuff and are contemporaries of U2, a lot in much different genres.

This mainly depends on one's own definiton of "high quality music". As has been noted numerous times, this is a very subjective topic and there's probably no real or wrong answer ...

That's why I only originally said U2 isn't as great as they think they are lol. Bono comes off reaking like he feels U2 is God's gift to man.. they've got some good stuff, but they're not shattering my world with their sounds.

Do you have a link to where Bono has said he's God's gift to man?  His arrogance is part of his showmanship.  I'd say some of the folks you listed above come off as being pretty arrogant.  I'm not going to knock any of the bands you mentioned, but to make it sound like U2 hasn't come out with any "quality stuff" is pretty absurd.  

I didn't say they didn't come up with ANY quality stuff, how many times do I need to point out I enjoy some of their music?

As for Bono's arrogance, here's the first quote I found in the first article that came up via google.. lol.

�Edge's genuine genius developing on the blank and bleached photographic paper�. avoiding all the obvious blues scales that blind every other guitar player that ever heard Led Zeppelin �The Edge finds some new colours for the spectrum of rock,� he wrote.

�Colours he now owns � owning a colour, wow .. imagine owning the colour yellow like VAN GOGH� EDGE owns, well I'm not exactly sure what colours they are� indigo or violet or crimson?

�But you sense an emotional colour temperature that is unique to him� its his palette we�re painting from.�

He added: �Surely this is the most influential guitarist since the great composers Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, Neil Young but remember he doesn�t have the history of the blues to plumb, these are unchartered [sic] waters�was to the English psychedelic revival we were also inspired by and plundering�

Yeah.. that guy doesn't make U2 out to be the best band in the world at all... lol.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 03, 2008, 03:30:31 PM

Was that the Monster Tour at the Trop?   Awesome show.  I wish they would tour more.  When they do, they seldom make it into Florida.  Their new CD is outstanding.  

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 03, 2008, 03:32:56 PM

FYI, just because you have commercial success doesn't mean you make high quality music.

I can't argue U2 are commercially huge.

But I think? Genesis, Talking Heads, Skinny Puppy, Rush, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, etc.. all put out better stuff and are contemporaries of U2, a lot in much different genres.

This mainly depends on one's own definiton of "high quality music". As has been noted numerous times, this is a very subjective topic and there's probably no real or wrong answer ...

That's why I only originally said U2 isn't as great as they think they are lol. Bono comes off reaking like he feels U2 is God's gift to man.. they've got some good stuff, but they're not shattering my world with their sounds.

Do you have a link to where Bono has said he's God's gift to man?  His arrogance is part of his showmanship.  I'd say some of the folks you listed above come off as being pretty arrogant.  I'm not going to knock any of the bands you mentioned, but to make it sound like U2 hasn't come out with any "quality stuff" is pretty absurd.   

I didn't say they didn't come up with ANY quality stuff, how many times do I need to point out I enjoy some of their music?

As for Bono's arrogance, here's the first quote I found in the first article that came up via google.. lol.

�Edge's genuine genius developing on the blank and bleached photographic paper�. avoiding all the obvious blues scales that blind every other guitar player that ever heard Led Zeppelin �The Edge finds some new colours for the spectrum of rock,� he wrote.

�Colours he now owns � owning a colour, wow .. imagine owning the colour yellow like VAN GOGH� EDGE owns, well I'm not exactly sure what colours they are� indigo or violet or crimson?

�But you sense an emotional colour temperature that is unique to him� its his palette we�re painting from.�

He added: �Surely this is the most influential guitarist since the great composers Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, Neil Young but remember he doesn�t have the history of the blues to plumb, these are unchartered [sic] waters�was to the English psychedelic revival we were also inspired by and plundering�

Yeah.. that guy doesn't make U2 out to be the best band in the world at all... lol.

First off, they are the best band in the world, but that's neither here nor there. 

Did Bono write that?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 03, 2008, 03:36:40 PM

I agree olaf to a point about trying to use their celebrity status to advance some causes, but sometimes Bono comes across as a little too "energetic" or "pushy" about his causes in my opinion. Almost like he's telling us we "have" to do this or "have" to do that or we're not nice people. Building awareness is one thing, but then ordering people to give money or take a certain action or else they're uncaring is another. Just my 2 cents.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#35 : December 03, 2008, 03:37:21 PM

That's part of a Bono email to Rolling Stone after they gave a good review of a released album.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/45143/U2%255Cs-Bono-%255CThe-Edge-Is-Most-Influential-Guitarist-Since-Jimmy-Page%255C+U2+bono+arrogance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Dash Riprock

Starter

#36 : December 03, 2008, 03:41:34 PM

Was that the Monster Tour at the Trop?   Awesome show.  I wish they would tour more.  When they do, they seldom make it into Florida.  Their new CD is outstanding.  

Yes it was, I think it was Radioheads first tour of the states. I had never heard of them and they blew me away. Your right about REMs new album, almost a return to the Document days. Love the tune "Houston"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 03, 2008, 03:57:40 PM

Was that the Monster Tour at the Trop?   Awesome show.  I wish they would tour more.  When they do, they seldom make it into Florida.  Their new CD is outstanding. 

Yes it was, I think it was Radioheads first tour of the states. I had never heard of them and they blew me away. Your right about REMs new album, almost a return to the Document days. Love the tune "Houston"

I don't even know if I saw Radiohead that night or even knew who they were.  Yeah, I agree about the new album.  I bought on a whim without even hearing any of the new stuff and was blown away.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 03, 2008, 03:59:01 PM

I agree olaf to a point about trying to use their celebrity status to advance some causes, but sometimes Bono comes across as a little too "energetic" or "pushy" about his causes in my opinion. Almost like he's telling us we "have" to do this or "have" to do that or we're not nice people. Building awareness is one thing, but then ordering people to give money or take a certain action or else they're uncaring is another. Just my 2 cents.

I get what you're saying.  I don't take it that way so much.  He seems to be more pushy towards the richer countries in the world (US, England, etc.) more so than individuals like you or I.   At least that's how I take it.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 03, 2008, 04:01:59 PM

That's part of a Bono email to Rolling Stone after they gave a good review of a released album.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/45143/U2%255Cs-Bono-%255CThe-Edge-Is-Most-Influential-Guitarist-Since-Jimmy-Page%255C+U2+bono+arrogance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

LOL, he was complimenting Edge's guitar playing on an album that's over 20 years old (the review was of the rerelease).

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 03, 2008, 04:20:54 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am BOOOOOOOOING you guys!

I'm sure most won't take this too seriously coming from someone whose favorite band was nothing more than Spinal Tap with make-up ...

ooooooooooohhhh, burn...

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 03, 2008, 04:24:03 PM

the Edge is a joke, talk about a guy who plays the same chords over and over on every single song....

garbage imo...

you will notice that I am taking shots at the band, not the posters who like them...big difference.

because I think their music sucks doesn't mean that I think those who like them are idiots...

some of you guys just look for reasons to start the namecalling and such. 

so be it.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 03, 2008, 04:34:22 PM

You could ignore the thread if you're not interested in the band.  Notice I didn't start a thread about U2 being the best band in the world.

some of you guys look for ways to start arguments on the MB.

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#43 : December 03, 2008, 05:01:32 PM

U2 the best band in the world.....now thats funny

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 03, 2008, 05:08:33 PM

U2 the best band in the world.....now thats funny

you're entitled to your opinion ... no matter how wrong it may be
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New U2 Song ... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools