Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alabama & Florida « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: December 03, 2008, 04:16:29 PM

So who ya' got?

I gotta be a homer and go with the Gators by 10.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 03, 2008, 05:06:48 PM

The title should be Alabama & Florida since it's at a neutral site. (unless you are implying a Trademark or CopyWrite :) )

I have to take the Gators by 17.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 03, 2008, 05:14:12 PM

There ya go...I knew you'd get me back eventually.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 03, 2008, 05:42:07 PM

Bama by whatever Saban wants to win by ;)

Nah....... With the way the Gators have been playing, it's damn near impossible to pick against them. I'll take UF, but expect a great game.

This is the best matchup in CFB this year, IMO. It'll be better than the BCS Champ game.

Saban's D vs Meyer's O

I can't freakin' wait.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 03, 2008, 06:19:32 PM

Saban's D vs Meyer's O

I actually think Florida's D against 'Bama's O is where the game will be won or lost.

I agree with your excitement about this game.  It should be a helluva contest.  A big, powerful 'Bama team against the finesse and speed of Florida.  I haven't looked forward to a college football game this much since the OSU/UF title game...which was the same kinda Big vs. Fast match-up, but Alabama has much more talent than that OSU team did, IMO.  Alabama wasn't supposed to be this good, this fast.  Saban has done an incredible job.

The only thing I would guarantee from Florida is a trick play or two and maybe a Fake FG/Punt.  They haven't done too many of those this year, and Meyer always has a couple every season.

I can't wait either.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 03, 2008, 06:19:51 PM

Miyagi,

Who will be their QB next year?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 03, 2008, 07:20:15 PM

Saban's D vs Meyer's O

I actually think Florida's D against 'Bama's O is where the game will be won or lost.

I agree with your excitement about this game.  It should be a helluva contest.  A big, powerful 'Bama team against the finesse and speed of Florida.  I haven't looked forward to a college football game this much since the OSU/UF title game...which was the same kinda Big vs. Fast match-up, but Alabama has much more talent than that OSU team did, IMO.  Alabama wasn't supposed to be this good, this fast.  Saban has done an incredible job.

The only thing I would guarantee from Florida is a trick play or two and maybe a Fake FG/Punt.  They haven't done too many of those this year, and Meyer always has a couple every season.

I can't wait either.

Florida isn't as finesse as some think.  Hidden behind all that speed is the fact that quite often they run straight at you....they have a power run game, albeit without a true power back (unless the decide to use Moody).  But they line up and that OL blocks straight at you (and often over you) and they run downhill.  There are some option plays and some play to the outside, but they run right at teams as well.  You don't see all perimeter run plays, this team can run down your throat....and have the last several weeks against top rated defenses.  This team hasn't run for over 300 yards several games with all perimeter run plays.  That OL has been mauling people lately. 

The thing I like about Florida is they can beat you several ways.  They can run at you, around you, and if you think you can stop that they'll throw it over the top of you.  Take away the deep game?  No problem, they'll throw screens and quick slants, which any player can take to the house.  Have that bottled up?  Ok, we'll throw a shovel pass to a TE who runs in the 4.5 range.  On top of all that is a ball hawking defense that can stop the run. 

It will be interesting for sure, I can't wait to get to Atlanta.  This has probably been one of my more unproductive weeks of work since the week heading up to Glendale.....

There are 2 areas that concern me heading into this game:

1. Kick coverage.  This has been downright AWFUL this year, and was especially brutal last week.  Alabama is strong in this area.
2. Ball security. In UF's only loss, this was the major issue.

If UF can take can of the ball and have good coverage on kicks (emphasis on ball security), I think they will win fairly easily.  Lay the ball on the ground and/or give up big special teams plays, and well, this could go the other way. 

I do also worry about offensive identity without Harvin, and I hope they don't rely on Tebow too much if Harvin can't play much.  It looks like Percy will play but at what level?  If he is only 75% I'd rather see Demps, Rainey, Thompson, Murphy, James get the ball over him.  I just wonder though with a lack of a go-to guy in Harvin if they will struggle to find someone to consistently go to in key spots.  In some ways maybe it will make Tebow utilize his other weapons, but it still makes me a bit nervous without a healthy Harvin.

Can't wait for the game, GO GATORS!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 03, 2008, 07:58:16 PM

Florida isn't as finesse as some think.

Let me clarify what I meant by finesse:  FAST.  I was referring to skill players.  No doubt the O-Line, and D-Line for that matter, plays with a lot of power.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 03, 2008, 08:49:25 PM

Here is an amazing (but LONG) article in depth on the Meyer/Mullen offense.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/12/florida-gatorurban-meyer-offense.html

The youtube clips of Percy are what make me nervous.....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 03, 2008, 08:54:07 PM

Gators by 10

biffbeaumont

Starter

#10 : December 03, 2008, 09:02:02 PM

Been a Crimson Tide fan since 1986 when I lived in Birmingham for school. It is really tough to see them pulling this out but I hope the game will be a good one and not the blow outs Florida has been rolling up on every other team this year. Harvin is hurt and may not play as well as usual, but the Gators have been here before and the Tide have a young bunch of guys who have not. Either way. ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 03, 2008, 09:56:23 PM

By the way, perception is a funny thing in the media.  Bama is touted as this big time running team with a big time defense.  Meanwhile Florida is being called a finesse team with little to no mention of their defense. 

Reality:

Bama Run Offense: 22nd, 201 y/pg
Bama Scoring Defense:  3rd, 11.5 ppg

Florida Run Offense: 10th, 237 y/pg
Florida Scoring Defense: 4th, 12.3 ppg

To add, Florida's passing offense is 61st at 212 y.pg, Alabama 97th at 169 y/pg.  I think both could be higher in passing if they needed, especially Florida. 

I think because Bama's offense is not as explosive as UF's, people tend to think of Bama as this great team with great defense and great running game, and Florida just has this fun-n-gun offense that outscores people.  Reality is, UF's defense is just as good as Bama's, and their offense is (on the surface) much better.  Of course this does not mean UF is going to or should beat Alabama handily, just wanted to throw it all out there because perception is quite a bit different from reality. 

By the way, here are their numbers vs. common Opponents (5).  Again, not posting them as any indicator of who is going to win or better, just throwing it out there.

Georgia

UF 49 UGA 10
UA 41 UGA 31

Ole Piss

UF 30 Miss 31
UA 24 Miss 20

LSU

UF 51 LSU 21
UA 27 LSU 21 (OT)

Kentucky

UF 63 UK 5
UA 17 UK 14

Arkansas

UF 38 AR 7
UA 49 AR 14

Tennessee

UF 30 UT 6
UA 29 UT 9

Averages vs. Common Opponents

Florida 44, Opponent 13 - Stats: Florida 202/5.2 rushing, 214/9.5 passing, 416/6.7 total, 1.0 turnover; Opponent 117/3.9 rushing, 205/6.3 passing, 322/5.1 total, 2.3 turnovers.

Alabama 31, Opponent 19 - Stats: Alabama 194/5.3 rushing, 168/7.9 passing, 362/5.9 total, 1.8 turnovers; Opponent 95/3.1 rushing, 209/5.5 passing, 304/4.6 total, 2.5 turnovers

Other than LSU and Kentucky, I'd say they faired pretty equal against common opponents. 

bucngators15

Starter
#12 : December 03, 2008, 10:01:35 PM

GATORS ALOTTTTT
TIDE NONEEEE

Whoever Said, " Its not whether you LOSE or WIN that counts.... PROBALY LOST

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 03, 2008, 10:51:16 PM

Go Gators!!! 

Any news on Percy's injury?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 03, 2008, 10:56:18 PM

Go Gators!!! 

Any news on Percy's injury?

Supposedly working his butt off to be able to play and is begging coach Meyer.  We'll see.  They say he moved around pretty good today on the side, did not practice though and probably won't. 

I imagine he might have some plays, how effective, who knows?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alabama & Florida « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools