Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tuberville DONE at Auburn « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

LFO

Hall of Famer

#120 : December 19, 2008, 06:07:40 PM

Weis was 19-6 with Willingham's players and he's 9-15 with his own.

Personally, I think he hung his hat on the wrong player in Claussen...but it could be that he just isn't as good of a recruiter as Willingham.

I don't think it is Clausen.  I think it is more the lack of an OL to protect him.    Nothing hinders a young QB more than poor pass protection.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#121 : December 19, 2008, 07:22:24 PM

Weis was 19-6 with Willingham's players and he's 9-15 with his own.

Personally, I think he hung his hat on the wrong player in Claussen...but it could be that he just isn't as good of a recruiter as Willingham.
He may be a decent play caller, but he's been shown to be a horrible developer of talent. Notre Dame's strength and conditioning program looks to be on a junior college level. The Irish get pushed around by any remotely physical team, even if they are tremendously limited athletically, like Navy. His inspiration abilities appear to be terrible. His teams play with zero swagger, aggression, or any emotion. College football is often about the intangibles, and he doesn't bring any of that. His teams are fundamentally flawed when it comes to basic blocking and tackling because he's used to college programs handing him finished products for the NFL. He doesn't know how to make NFL players from high school kids. Lastly, he's just an arrogant bast@rd too full of himself to even think he might be the problem.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#122 : December 19, 2008, 09:34:33 PM

Let me clarify my thoughts on Weis:  I don't know enough about how he runs his program and his head coaching skills, but I sure as hell would love to have him calling the plays for my offense.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#123 : December 20, 2008, 12:20:26 PM

Its hilarious that Iowa State hired Rhodes.....

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#124 : December 20, 2008, 05:18:08 PM

Let me clarify my thoughts on Weis:  I don't know enough about how he runs his program and his head coaching skills, but I sure as hell would love to have him calling the plays for my offense.
Well it goes without saying being a head coach involves more than calling plays. The head coach sets the personality for the whole team. When I saw Urban Meyer speak in 2007, the first coach he mentioned wasn't Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, or Greg Mattison, it was strength and conditioning coach Mickey Marotti. It doesn't matter what kind of offense or defense you run, Meyer's first goal is to have a tough and disciplined team. That's the reason Meyer, a former college wide receivers coach, has a better defense than Ron Zook, a former NFL defensive coordinator. The attitude Meyer instills in his team in conducive to good defense. Play calling is secondary. That's why Weis is a terrible head coach. He's an arrogant cry baby and his team plays like it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#125 : December 20, 2008, 05:37:00 PM

Well it goes without saying being a head coach involves more than calling plays. The head coach sets the personality for the whole team. When I saw Urban Meyer speak in 2007, the first coach he mentioned wasn't Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, or Greg Mattison, it was strength and conditioning coach Mickey Marotti. It doesn't matter what kind of offense or defense you run, Meyer's first goal is to have a tough and disciplined team. That's the reason Meyer, a former college wide receivers coach, has a better defense than Ron Zook, a former NFL defensive coordinator. The attitude Meyer instills in his team in conducive to good defense. Play calling is secondary. That's why Weis is a terrible head coach. He's an arrogant cry baby and his team plays like it.

Well said. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#126 : January 06, 2009, 02:29:21 PM

Charlie Strong says race/interracial marriage a factor in why he has been passed over for HC jobs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3813793

LFO

Hall of Famer

#127 : January 06, 2009, 06:49:13 PM

Charlie Strong says race/interracial marriage a factor in why he has been passed over for HC jobs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3813793

This is no secret....he has felt this way for years.

Truly sad, if it really is a factor.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#128 : January 06, 2009, 08:38:05 PM

it may not be overt "racism" or even "covert" ... but there surely isn't a good network for black coaches to move up the ranks ... 7 out of 119 HC jobs at the D! (or whatever it's called) is a little ridiculous and that's with the 4 new hires.

That's why I don't have a problem with Barkley's comments ... while I may not agree with him persay ... he has a forum to speak out in and bring the issue to the forefront and keep the topic out there for discussion and this should lead to more coaches getting an opportunity to at least interview and eventually land some more of these jobs.

I don't know how many black HC there should be, but 7 is an extremely low number in my opinion.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#129 : January 07, 2009, 09:35:38 AM

If race was a factor at all in not hiring Gill, I think it had more to do with him having a white wife, than just him being black.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#130 : January 07, 2009, 09:52:51 AM

If race was a factor at all in not hiring Gill, I think it had more to do with him having a white wife, than just him being black.

That's part of the rumor and that's no less ridiculous ... I'm not saying Gill deserved that job, but the idea that there is only 7 black HC for 119 jobs seems odd to me.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#131 : December 10, 2010, 10:39:46 AM

Since you asked for it....

8) .... You haven't been able to dig up any Gene Chizik ones?

It's too bad Gill was black. He would have been a nice fit ....

Yeah, it's too bad for Auburn and their fans having to watch their team go undefeated this season and play for a National Championship.  But the Kansas football program is reaping those benefits with a 3-9 record this season.

AUBURN HIRED CHIZIK BECAUSE HE'S WHITE!!!

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#132 : December 11, 2010, 01:07:08 AM

Since you asked for it....

8) .... You haven't been able to dig up any Gene Chizik ones?

It's too bad Gill was black. He would have been a nice fit ....

Yeah, it's too bad for Auburn and their fans having to watch their team go undefeated this season and play for a National Championship.  But the Kansas football program is reaping those benefits with a 3-9 record this season.

AUBURN HIRED CHIZIK BECAUSE HE'S WHITE!!!

What an idiot that guy was ..... 8)   Obviously they chose him over Gill for the stellar job he did at ISU, not the color of his skin. The south is just inundated with Black head coaches at the 1-A level so the thought of race entering into the picture is just too far fetched to even entertain a thought about. I'm sure the good ol boy heavy hitters at Auburn would have had absolutely no problem with whoever they hired ....  The only conceivable problem may have been with Turner possibly having tighter purse strings than Gene.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#133 : December 11, 2010, 09:24:37 AM

Yeah, Auburn clearly hired the lesser candidate because of the color of his skin.  Damn southern hick, hood-wearin' racists.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#134 : December 11, 2010, 10:18:40 AM

Chizik has obviously justified his hiring, but who is to say what Gill or any other coach could have done with Bobby Lowder buying up all the best players in the south for him?

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tuberville DONE at Auburn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools