Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tuberville DONE at Auburn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

Snook

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 04, 2008, 06:36:28 PM

Interesting Update:

Tuberville's resignation comes as shock to Auburn AD
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3744885

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs was shocked when Tommy Tuberville resigned as football coach, saying Thursday he and university President Jay Gogue tried to talk Tuberville out of it the previous day and had never considered firing him.

I'm not buying that.

Why?  Because this doesn't make ANY sense:

"Jacobs said he and the president agreed to pay Tuberville the buyout price of $5.1 million -- even though it was not required since he wasn't fired -- because they felt it was "the right thing to do.""

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Bobby Lowder strikes again.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 04, 2008, 06:52:44 PM

I am hearing Sarkisian for the Washington job, possibly Mora Jr.

Also heard Auburn has an offer on the table for Leach and has been talking with his agent regularly, and also is looking at Muschamp and maybe even Jimbo should that fall through.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 04, 2008, 06:57:39 PM

possibly Mora Jr.

Won't he be coaching the Seahawks next year?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 04, 2008, 08:02:28 PM

possibly Mora Jr.

Won't he be coaching the Seahawks next year?

I don't know, but the rumors won't die of him to Washington.  There was a report before that he was ready to do an 8 year deal, although that was said to be announced yesterday and obviously didn't happen.

I wouldn't think he could just become the next HC at Seattle though.  I Know the NFL nixed Haslett from just becoming next HC, so why would they let Mora?  I do remember him being promised the job, but if they won't let Haslett "earn" in with incentives in his contract I don't see why they would let Mora take over without going through the process, minority interviews, etc. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 04, 2008, 08:08:03 PM

Assistant Mora reaches deal to be Hawks' coach once Holmgren retires

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3233051

Jim Mora reached a five-year agreement that will allow him to transition into the head coaching job with the Seattle Seahawks once Mike Holmgren retires after the 2008 season.

Even though the NFL strictly enforces the Rooney Rule that requires teams to interview minority candidates, teams are allowed to promote coaches currently on staff for the future without fear of penalty for not interviewing others.

Jim Caldwell with the Colts has the same kind of deal for when Dungy retires.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 04, 2008, 09:31:20 PM

Assistant Mora reaches deal to be Hawks' coach once Holmgren retires

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3233051

Jim Mora reached a five-year agreement that will allow him to transition into the head coaching job with the Seattle Seahawks once Mike Holmgren retires after the 2008 season.

Even though the NFL strictly enforces the Rooney Rule that requires teams to interview minority candidates, teams are allowed to promote coaches currently on staff for the future without fear of penalty for not interviewing others.

Jim Caldwell with the Colts has the same kind of deal for when Dungy retires.

I understand that and never disputed any of that.  I know Mora had a "deal", but after these articles were published the NFL nixed Haslett from remaining Head Coach.  Why would they do that but allow these guys?  Wasn't Haslett an assistant this year, and did he not get promoted to Coach after the Rams coach was fired?  Seems like a double standard to me. 

Regardless of any of that, Mora could still be the Washington coach, nothing there prevents that. 

Personally i think the NFL rule should be all or none.  Circumventing the rules to allow "promotion" of assistants goes against the rule.  It is supposed to allow equal opportunity for jobs.  I do believe that the Dungy deal was the first.  I wonder if Caldwell were white if the NFL would have allowed it?

So say a team has owners that dislike afro-americans.  All they have to do is hire assistants and promote them to HC to circumvent the rule?  Somehow I think the NFL is going to crack down on this sooner rather than later, and the Haslett deal seems like the start.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 05, 2008, 07:31:12 AM

Interesting Update:

Tuberville's resignation comes as shock to Auburn AD
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3744885

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs was shocked when Tommy Tuberville resigned as football coach, saying Thursday he and university President Jay Gogue tried to talk Tuberville out of it the previous day and had never considered firing him.

I'm not buying that.

Why? Because this doesn't make ANY sense:

"Jacobs said he and the president agreed to pay Tuberville the buyout price of $5.1 million -- even though it was not required since he wasn't fired -- because they felt it was "the right thing to do.""

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Bobby Lowder strikes again.
LOL

Agreed

What a load of horsecrap

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Snook

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 05, 2008, 09:27:42 AM

What a load of horsecrap

Yep.  This is Auburn shadiness at is best...  Lowder is the most corrupt booster in the nation as far as meddling in a schools' football program.  It'll be a great day when he finally kicks the bucket.  He's scum.

Remember how they covered up the Terry Bowden BS?  This situation is right up there.

If Tuberville doesn't take a job anywhere else next year, that'll confirm some shady side deal.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 05, 2008, 10:31:02 AM

I understand that and never disputed any of that.

Yes, you did.

I wouldn't think he could just become the next HC at Seattle though.

I know Mora had a "deal", but after these articles were published the NFL nixed Haslett from remaining Head Coach.  Why would they do that but allow these guys?  Wasn't Haslett an assistant this year, and did he not get promoted to Coach after the Rams coach was fired?  Seems like a double standard to me.

It's all a technicality, really.  Holmgren and Dungy are still the Head Coaches for their team.  Both of those organizations are allowed to promote from within while a head coach is still in place.  That is different from Haslett's scenario where Linehan was fired and he is the Interim Head Coach.  The Rooney Rule will apply to the Rams, as the article I linked mentions:

Regardless of any of that, Mora could still be the Washington coach, nothing there prevents that.

I'm pretty sure the contract he signed with Seattle might prevent that...or at the very least be a major hindrance to Mora and Washington.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 07, 2008, 09:21:17 PM

LOL, ok dude.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 07, 2008, 09:23:43 PM

What's funny?  Mora's still at Seattle right?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 07, 2008, 09:29:03 PM

What's funny?  Mora's still at Seattle right?

And the guy I mentioned first is the coach. 

That still doesn't mean that they didn't talk with Mora, regardless of his contract. 

I don't really care either way, I just think it is funny....nevermind, not even worth it.

Have a good night Mr. biggs.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 07, 2008, 09:35:41 PM

And a good night to you, sir.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 13, 2008, 03:52:26 PM

Chizik to Auburn?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=888957

If true, why?  Why fire Tuberville for this guy?  5-19 at Iowa State.  I realize he was a good coordinator at Auburn, but really, this is the best Auburn could do?

PS:  He' s Florida Grad lol

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 12, 2008, 08:56:48 AM

And they're interviewing Grobe today

http://auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2008/12/12/grobe-to-interview-today-chizik-met-with-jacobs-on-thursday

Hurry up, already. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tuberville DONE at Auburn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools