Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: D.U.I. Dog drops Chris Landry « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : December 09, 2008, 06:50:57 PM

Shock jock is a slang term used to describe a type of radio broadcaster (sometimes a disc jockey) who attracts attention using humor that a significant portion of the listening audience may find offensive. The term is usually used pejoratively to describe provocative or irreverent broadcasters whose manners and on air behavior is offensive to the listener.

Being a shock jock doesnt mean having an agenda and not being objective. Telling half truths against peopel you dont like, and hiding the facts when people you do llike get into trouble. I understand that being a shock jock means being a jerkoff mostly, and I dont mind that at all, but he takes it to different levels

I just think there are guys in this town like Bobby Fenton and JP Peterson who can get people riled up just as much without being so fake

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 09, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

If you dont like him THAT much, don't listen. There are other stations to listen to if you wanna listen to sports radio that isnt full of hate and lies.

I listen to him because he's entertaining. I could care less what he actually thinks or what his opinion is. He amuses me. Mission Accomplished.

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

#17 : December 10, 2008, 01:02:32 AM

you guys take duemig too seriously.

you're exactly the people that drive his ratings up. if it werent for "outraged listeners" we wouldnt have shock jocks.

Well, it's either Duemig or J.P Peterson or Scot Brantley and The Fabulous Sports Babe.

Peterson is basically a three-hour advertisement for whoever is dumb enough to buy airtime with J.P., while Brantly and The Babe are insufferable.

At least with Duemig you get the occasional pleasure of someone calling in and ripping on Chris Thomas or mocking the Big Dog's ultra-conservative beliefs.

As it is, I listen more to 94.1 Smooth Jazz these days, given how awful Tampa sports talk radio has become outside of the return of The Dan Patrick Show.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 10, 2008, 09:37:49 AM

At least with Duemig you get the occasional pleasure of someone calling in and ripping on Chris Thomas

It's been years since I've listened to Deumig on a regular basis but people actually call in and RIP Chris Thomas??

Got_Spleen

Starter

#19 : December 10, 2008, 09:55:16 AM

If you dont like him THAT much, don't listen. There are other stations to listen to if you wanna listen to sports radio that isnt full of hate and lies.

I listen to him because he's entertaining. I could care less what he actually thinks or what his opinion is. He amuses me. Mission Accomplished.

My thoughts exactly.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#20 : December 10, 2008, 06:41:47 PM

At least with Duemig you get the occasional pleasure of someone calling in and ripping on Chris Thomas

It's been years since I've listened to Deumig on a regular basis but people actually call in and RIP Chris Thomas??

I'll admit...I listen....and I haven't heard ANYONE rip Chris Thomas....ever. If, by chance, someone did, I'm sure they would get an earful as they broadcast from the 'Chris Thomas' studio. Thomas is sorely  missed. His humor,candor and knowledge remain a rarity in this town amongst those that would call themselves "sports journalists".

Stratobuc

Starter
#21 : December 10, 2008, 06:51:07 PM

I have never heard anyone speak anything other than praise and great affection for Thomas.

Maybe the poster meant R.I.P.?

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

#22 : December 10, 2008, 09:03:39 PM

I have never heard anyone speak anything other than praise and great affection for Thomas.

Maybe the poster meant R.I.P.?

There have been at least three instances I've heard since 2003 where a caller tried to make reference to Chris's DUIs or his firing from Channel 8 due to being drunk on-air that sent Duemig or Ron & Ian into insanity.  The most recent was in April during the Jerramy Stevens controversy when a caller got "dumped" when he tried to compare Jerramy to Chris (not too far from the truth, though Chris never raped anyone) and got called an a-hole by Ron before they went to an early commercial.

Todd Wright is at least classy enough to admit "the man was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and had a lot of demons he was never able to conquer."

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

#23 : December 10, 2008, 09:07:57 PM

Cleveland Wheeler liked to tell the story of seeing Chris literally crawl out of a bar on five seperate occasions, he was so loaded he couldn't stand. 

Chris is only spoken of fondly by his cronies like the D.U.I. Dog, J.P. Peterson, and Jack Harris.  Others like Cowhead, Bubba, Fisher, et al really never had anything nice to say about him.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#24 : December 10, 2008, 09:24:32 PM

Cleveland Wheeler liked to tell the story of seeing Chris literally crawl out of a bar on five seperate occasions, he was so loaded he couldn't stand. 

Chris is only spoken of fondly by his cronies like the D.U.I. Dog, J.P. Peterson, and Jack Harris.  Others like Cowhead, Bubba, Fisher, et al really never had anything nice to say about him.

Wow. Cowhead ( literally? ) Bubba et al......that's some lofty company...geez, I guess if THEY say anything it must not only be true but biblical as well......uh huh....

#25 : December 11, 2008, 02:35:54 AM

He's only entertaining in a circus freak kind of way. Listening to him and his callers, I am amused too. I hate Ian Beckles and Ron Diaz's takes on most everything involving sports, but those guys are actually entertaining and not in a trainwreck kind of way

I do listen to other stations, and finally there is competition so I dont have to say "well there is no otehr options".

But this is the flagship station for the BUcs. They get all the player interviews, and even get Bruce Allen and Gruden on sometimes. Regardless of the quality of the show, he is going to get the best ratings. It's like a talking head on ESPN saying "if you dont like me, dont watch ESPN. The ratings say everything!" when they really dont. I dont think he should be able to do his job the way he does, simply because I have the option to change the channel. he should be held to some standards, but since all his producers are as clueless as him and the ratings remain good, he wont have to change a thing IM sure

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 11, 2008, 10:31:16 AM

At times he is...if I'm honest, and I've said it many times, he's not the jerk he presents as on the radio.  My only beef with him is the way he goes at Gruden.  He always says he knows its a business and all of that but really it's the pot calling the kettle black.  He does the same thing with his inuendo and wants people to understand as well...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

gdavis

Starter

#27 : December 16, 2008, 01:51:42 PM

you guys take duemig too seriously.

you're exactly the people that drive his ratings up. if it werent for "outraged listeners" we wouldnt have shock jocks.

Well, it's either Duemig or J.P Peterson or Scot Brantley and The Fabulous Sports Babe.

Peterson is basically a three-hour advertisement for whoever is dumb enough to buy airtime with J.P., while Brantly and The Babe are insufferable.

At least with Duemig you get the occasional pleasure of someone calling in and ripping on Chris Thomas or mocking the Big Dog's ultra-conservative beliefs.

As it is, I listen more to 94.1 Smooth Jazz these days, given how awful Tampa sports talk radio has become outside of the return of The Dan Patrick Show.

You have poor taste in music. 

Those PlayStation All-Americans up there thinking they know football because they watched a game on TV.
--B. Bowden

#28 : December 18, 2008, 04:49:17 AM

lol

btw, the Sports Babe is the reason why I fail to give women who talk sports any credibility. She is sooooooo completely insane. I feel bad for her, because she survived cancer. Buut she makes the worst points, and she is very in your face about them. I cant stand her, and the fact that she is teamed with boring Brantley makes it even worse. Not to mention he is a former Gator. I hate everything about that radio talk show host combo

gdavis

Starter

#29 : December 18, 2008, 07:55:39 AM

lol

btw, the Sports Babe is the reason why I fail to give women who talk sports any credibility. She is sooooooo completely insane. I feel bad for her, because she survived cancer. Buut she makes the worst points, and she is very in your face about them. I cant stand her, and the fact that she is teamed with boring Brantley makes it even worse. Not to mention he is a former Gator. I hate everything about that radio talk show host combo

Agree.  Are they even on the air anymore?  I tuned into 1470 the other day and it was all Christmas tunes.

Those PlayStation All-Americans up there thinking they know football because they watched a game on TV.
--B. Bowden
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: D.U.I. Dog drops Chris Landry « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools