Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson Declares « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

#30 : January 08, 2007, 01:01:06 PM

Cville- I don't think the Lions are any threat to take Thomas honestly. They already have their LT Backus tied into a big contract and neither guy will be playing RT.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 08, 2007, 01:04:13 PM

MBF, you may be on to something there, makes sense. Where do you think they would go at that point then. Man, they can't go WR, could they haha? I still think they go Quinn, they have to. If they get Rice or a FA DE they have to go Quinn, gotta...

Baghead #2

Bucmaniac86

Pro Bowler

#32 : January 08, 2007, 01:10:43 PM

RedAlert Im with you in your arguments in a sense, there is no doubt that Joe Thomas is this teams BIGGEST NEED. Calvin Johnson is just a WOW factor he is everything that a team covets and will be very hard to pass up. The thing is when you look at the draft, you dont look at the draft as source to cure all of your weak areas because you only get 1 player every 32 times. So you use your draft for the near future and you hope that that player might pick up some playing time and help now as well as in the future, but for an immediate impact you focus on the FA. And money talks, which we have tons of, and I know we arent the best money wise, but of the teams that are ahead of us with more money, they havent won a super bowl in the last 5 years and they havent been in the playoffs and being divisional champs recently. Our offenses biggest weakness is that we are young, our D is falling apart in a sense and the best way to get many players with the best talent is through free agency rather then draft so that is my explanation

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 08, 2007, 01:14:05 PM

I would like to go all in on the defensive side of the ball in FA and with both our picks in round 2...

Baghead #2

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#34 : January 08, 2007, 01:19:58 PM

I would like to go all in on the defensive side of the ball in FA and with both our picks in round 2...

thats what im thinking also, get Weddle and ???? somebody else in the 2nd. then if he is there in the 3rd get leonard

#35 : January 08, 2007, 01:22:44 PM

Agreed...Maybe something like:

R1- Calvin Johnson
R2- Victor Abramiri
R2- Eric Weddle
R3- Marcus Thomas

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 08, 2007, 01:24:03 PM

Agreed...Maybe something like:

R1- Calvin Johnson
R2- Victor Abramiri
R2- Eric Weddle
R3- Marcus Thomas

Mohawk, that would be good with me!

MBF, that is what I'm talking about! I would be loving that!

Baghead #2

#37 : January 08, 2007, 01:26:20 PM

Wouldn't this just mean that Detroit gets to draft yet another stud college Wide Out to add to its stable of first round receivers?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 08, 2007, 01:27:29 PM

Good deal.  The more talent that's in the draft pool, the better.  I think I might actually prefer Joe Thomas for this team, but this increases the chances that that'll even be an option.

Don't worry... KeepOnBucN'. Just because the fans are dumb enough to want to continue ignoring the defense just to draft ANOTHER first day receiver doesn't mean the Front Office will...

And then there are people like me who want to see the team take the BPA with their first pick while making the focus of the first day the defense.  It's quite possible to not want the team to ignore the defense but also not want them to reach for a player who is not clearly the best on the board who also fills a large need.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 08, 2007, 01:34:31 PM

RedAlert Im with you in your arguments in a sense, there is no doubt that Joe Thomas is this teams BIGGEST NEED. Calvin Johnson is just a WOW factor he is everything that a team covets and will be very hard to pass up. The thing is when you look at the draft, you dont look at the draft as source to cure all of your weak areas because you only get 1 player every 32 times. So you use your draft for the near future and you hope that that player might pick up some playing time and help now as well as in the future, but for an immediate impact you focus on the FA. And money talks, which we have tons of, and I know we arent the best money wise, but of the teams that are ahead of us with more money, they havent won a super bowl in the last 5 years and they havent been in the playoffs and being divisional champs recently. Our offenses biggest weakness is that we are young, our D is falling apart in a sense and the best way to get many players with the best talent is through free agency rather then draft so that is my explanation

I think we're of the same philosophy for the most part. While I agree that you don't draft for immediate help in the draft, you do draft for long term stability (hopefully). IMO, said stability is more important along the lines, O or D, than anywhere else.

Put it this way, a stable, solid OL will go alot farther towards making the surrounding skills players better than vice-versa. And then look at the defense, especially ours. It feeds of the pressure a DL produces, otherwise we make Tony Romo look like Roger Staubach.

It's long term thinking that I'm talking about, in that I would like to see this team be successfull over a long period of time, rather than be built for an immediate Super Bowl run. We've seen first hand how that turns out. And I've never, in my too many years of watching and attending NFL games, seen a WR turn a franchise around that had such desperate needs in the trenches.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 08, 2007, 01:40:29 PM

Calvin does one of several things for us:

1.  OAK takes him and he pushes another player down to us.
2. If we lose the coin flip he's < Joe Thomas but he's one hell of a consolation prize.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 08, 2007, 02:10:01 PM

haha, now this is a good way to see things!!!

Baghead #2

#42 : January 08, 2007, 02:27:02 PM

Calvin does one of several things for us:

1.  OAK takes him and he pushes another player down to us.
2. If we lose the coin flip he's < Joe Thomas but he's one hell of a consolation prize.

Interesting thoughts...but I truly wonder whether this is all hot air from the Raiders.  When was the last time a team drafted a WR #1 overall?  I think Keyshawn in 96 or something.  Did he ever truly live up to that #1 overall pick?  What does WR have to do to be considered for the first overall pick?  WR doesn't seem to be one of those spots that justify a #1 overall pick for the most part.

I just wonder if they can justify picking a WR #1 when they suck as bad as they do at QB and O-line in general.

That said, I don't really like either of those top QBs this year (Quinn/Russell).

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 08, 2007, 02:30:16 PM

I still stand by this...The raiders and Lions both have got to, or shoud go QB. They simply are going no where without a QB...

However, as history has proven, these 2 teams can do anything, literally...

Baghead #2

acacius

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 08, 2007, 02:33:07 PM

I just wonder if they can justify picking a WR #1 when they suck as bad as they do at QB and O-line in general.

That said, I don't really like either of those top QBs this year (Quinn/Russell).

Depends on what else they do this offseason.  I know I'm begining to sound like a broken record, but a Moss for Schaub deal just makes a LOT of sense.  If they pull that off, their drafting Johnson would suddenly seem like a much more sensible thing to do.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson Declares « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools