Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: December 08, 2008, 08:21:36 AM

In a recent thread there was a comparison of stats with Jeff Garcia. If I remember correctly, they both figured out to 1 TD for every 27 plays. That would be fine if they were both rookies or both seasoned veterans. Garcia should be far superior since he has 21 starts compared to 3 starts for McCown with the Bucs. He's not.

McCown's numbers compare favorably with the starts of some of the best QBs who ever played the game yet some here give him no respect at all.  McCown didn't have the red zone issues that Garcia has STILL. That is my main point of contention. Garcia is not going to get any better and McCown most certainly will. I'm fed up with punts and FGs and missed wide open receivers. I'm tired of the Bucs being the only team in the division who is never set at QB. McCown was impressive in his 3 starts with a QB rating over 100 in each of them. He played very well in the pre-season games and I believe he would have won the season opener and the Dallas game. Not sure about Denver.

He's wasted away on the bench this year and will be starting over from scratch next year if he is here at all. He could have been building on the experience from this season and actually been our QB of the future.

Garcia can't sustain drives and chokes in the red zone. I will welcome any change but I really hope McCown gets his chance.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 08, 2008, 08:24:02 AM

McCown will get his chance. When he earns it.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

JC510

Practice Squad

#2 : December 08, 2008, 08:29:03 AM

McCown will get his chance. When he earns it.

He was the best QB in camp and pre-season. Anyone who says Griese is ignoring all those dropped INTs.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 08, 2008, 08:30:52 AM

We played McCown to give him some experience which he clearly needs. And to keep the real QB's healthy.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 08, 2008, 08:48:26 AM

Luke had his shot last year. Based on that, the Bucs brought in Griese and drafted JJ. They also did not sign Luke and now he will be a UFA. Unless something drastically changes, Luke's future doesn't look bright in Tampa.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#5 : December 08, 2008, 09:01:47 AM

This debate bores me. McCown will either claim the job in the offseason via a killer OTA/Training Camp/Preseason performance, or he won't.  Personally, I'm not going to hold my breath on such a long-shot.

Common sense is telling me that if he was going to do something, he would have done it already.  

And while his three games were reasonably impressive, let's not pretend that it's a big enough sample to draw any meaningful conclusions from.  You could go find three games from any almost quarterback in the league that would make said QB look either bad or good.  

In a recent thread there was a comparison of stats with Jeff Garcia. If I remember correctly, they both figured out to 1 TD for every 27 plays. That would be fine if they were both rookies or both seasoned veterans. Garcia should be far superior since he has 21 starts compared to 3 starts for McCown with the Bucs. He's not.

Ya see, if you wanna talk stats, you need to get a bigger sample size.  Three starts is not enough to smooth out any statistical flukes and anomalies and give a reasonable idea of what could be expected from McCown on a given Sunday.  Have a look at Derek Anderson last year.  If you look at his first eight or so games, he was playing like a future HOF-er. Then it all fell to bits on him, but even after struggling through the second half of the season, he had enough TDs and yardage to look good on paper.  And then he stinks it up this year.   Now, finally, the stat sheet starts to tell the story. Statistics can be very, very misleading. Especially looking at only three games.

I'm not dismissing the McCown entirely, I think he has talent. But I don't think we are in a position to make a serious evaluation of him at this point.

The guys who coach him day in and day out and have seen him take hundreds of snaps probably are in a position to make a serious evaluation.  

Oh wait

They did.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

k_bassuka

Starter

#6 : December 08, 2008, 09:16:01 AM

McCown's numbers compare favorably with the starts of some of the best QBs who ever played the game yet some here give him no respect at all. McCown didn't have the red zone issues that Garcia has STILL. That is my main point of contention. Garcia is not going to get any better and McCown most certainly will. I'm fed up with punts and FGs and missed wide open receivers. I'm tired of the Bucs being the only team in the division who is never set at QB. McCown was impressive in his 3 starts with a QB rating over 100 in each of them. He played very well in the pre-season games and I believe he would have won the season opener and the Dallas game. Not sure about Denver.

He's wasted away on the bench this year and will be starting over from scratch next year if he is here at all. He could have been building on the experience from this season and actually been our QB of the future.

Garcia can't sustain drives and chokes in the red zone. I will welcome any change but I really hope McCown gets his chance.

I didn't know he was a QB  :'(.

Just stop it with this McGarbage non-sense. because you want somebody to be good doesn't mean that he is actually going to be good, like all the lets break the bank for Cassel this upcoming off-season, see he had a way better 3 game span than McGarbage and is struggling now and he is far better QB than the garbage we decided to keep  ::). I'm just happy that the Bucs staff is not filled with guys that think like you because we would've been sitting at 2-11 record at best right now.

We have a real game to play tonight, with real players. LET’S GO BUCS!!!  ;D

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 08, 2008, 09:24:23 AM

This is beginning to be such a complete waste of time.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but clearly the Bucs have made their choice on who should be the QB for this team. 
Jeff Garcia should go to the pro-bowl if he takes this team to a play-off bye and deep in the play-offs.  I went back and watched the Saints game and he took a beating out their, yet managed to win the game for us.  I'm not going to recall all the BAD plays, I'm going to focus on all the GREAT plays he made that won the game for us and keeps us one step closer to winning the division.
It simply amazes me how many people sit and complain about all the wide open guys he missed and how he doesn't have arm strength, etc.  The guy is a winner and has proven it time and time again. 
Good luck to Luke McCown wherever he ends up next year; my guess is riding the bench for yet another team.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 08, 2008, 09:44:17 AM

Good luck to Luke McCown wherever he ends up next year; my guess is riding the bench for yet another team.

Well, you were also pretty sure that Caddy was going on IR.

So...

I agree about being bored with this debate and it being a waste of time. This can be brought up again in training camp.

Garcia is the guy the rest of the way and will be the guy unless he gets hurt. I think most of us realize that.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 08, 2008, 09:50:24 AM

Luke had his shot last year. Based on that, the Bucs brought in Griese and drafted JJ. They also did not sign Luke and now he will be a UFA. Unless something drastically changes, Luke's future doesn't look bright in Tampa.

I agree Rusty.

Luke will have to find his way with another offense it seems.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 08, 2008, 09:54:34 AM

Well, you were also pretty sure that Caddy was going on IR.

So...

I agree about being bored with this debate and it being a waste of time. This can be brought up again in training camp.

Garcia is the guy the rest of the way and will be the guy unless he gets hurt. I think most of us realize that.

I'll wait to see about Carnell after tonights game.  Man I sure hope that he hasn't tried to come back too early just to play.  He is way too young and has many more years under the belt to risk any further injury.  I for one am hoping that he gets more carries and looks.  I'm just simply amazed at how well Dunn has played this season.  him and Bryant have to go down as team co-mvp's IMO.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 08, 2008, 10:00:22 AM

Yeah, and Gradkowski was the best QB in camp when he was here, too.

#12 : December 08, 2008, 12:46:53 PM

Who is Luke McCown?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 08, 2008, 12:49:05 PM

Florida Native---I'm pretty sure he means Josh McCown...

Josh backs up in Miami behind Pennington. 

MBF

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 08, 2008, 01:01:45 PM

Who is Luke McCown?
The only QB on the roster who can make every throw.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools