Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do we have 1st and goal on the 2yd line, and NOT get a TD? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 10, 2008, 11:12:57 AM

it astounds me how some peopel can start a dozen whiny threads within a couple of days ....

No Olaf, we woudln't. No one expect to run two play action passes twice on 1st and goal from the two. When the score is 3-0, you expect run, run, pass and then run again on 4th since the score was only 3-0 at the time. If we fail to get 1-2 yards in FOUR tries, then at least our derfense has Carolina on their own 1 yard line where all kinds of trouble can happen. Gruden screwed the pooch on that one, if it was him calling those plays. Maybe Garcia called the pass to get his miserable TD numbers up, who know.

Garcia and Smith screwed the pooch ... Smith wasn't just open ... he was WIDE OPEN

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#31 : December 10, 2008, 11:31:55 AM

..... When the score is 3-0, you expect run, run, pass and then run again on 4th since the score was only 3-0 at the time.

So if everyone, including the D, is "expecting run" on 1st down, is play-action pass so egregious a strategy? The play was there to be made.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 10, 2008, 11:32:33 AM

..... When the score is 3-0, you expect run, run, pass and then run again on 4th since the score was only 3-0 at the time.

So if everyone, including the D, is "expecting run" on 1st down, is play-action pass so egregious a strategy? The play was there to be made.

great point

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 10, 2008, 11:41:32 AM

ill disagree with our offensive philosophies all day.  we seem to rather be cute and try the play action.  id rather be tough and pound it down their throats.  i think it changes the mindset of our OL.  but it comes back to we like to play-action to set up the run...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 10, 2008, 11:42:01 AM

ill disagree with our offensive philosophies all day.  we seem to rather be cute and try the play action.  id rather be tough and pound it down their throats.  i think it changes the mindset of our OL.

I agree 10,000%

jeanclaudtransam

Starter

#35 : December 10, 2008, 11:47:13 AM

While I'm normally critical of Garcia, the first down play was entirely on Smith. The ball hit him in both hands. I like Smith but he needs to have actually improved on the drops if we're going to keep going to him in the RZ.

Watchman

Starter

#36 : December 10, 2008, 11:55:04 AM

If we line up and run Caddy 3 times and it fails, the whiners will want to know where the play action is.
No. All the whiners know not to expect it out of Garcia. They'd want to know why the "best offensive line in team history" can't punch it in from the 1 1/2 yard line.

Because, the "best offensive line in team history," really isn't all that good.  They are pretty much average, which I'll admit is an improvement over years past.  The Bucs o-line cannot consistently impose its will on quality teams, and they certainly can't do it against quality teams on the road.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 10, 2008, 12:26:21 PM

Of course I'm going to tell you we got push.  Because we did.  That oline is doing yomans work and are underappreciated for much of this season.  I think we got what we paid for with these guys and they are doing their thing.  If you go back and watch the tape watch and see how they are getting a hat on a hat on almost every play...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#38 : December 10, 2008, 12:30:16 PM

The OL's "mindset" didn't appear to be too fazed by the failure of that particular sequence of play-calls when they scored from the 8 on two running plays later in the game. Or on all of those successful third and fourth and short situations during the game.

Just out of curiosity, what are the acceptable parameters for play formations and calls in order to achieve that "tough" mindset? Do you have to do it out of three TE, I-formation, off-tackle? When the Colts line up 4-wide, single back, and run a draw for a TD, does that make them somehow less tough? Or when Tebow does the jump pass on the goalline, can you hear the OC's whining vagina way up in the top row? Or does it only prove their shriveled manhood if the QB actually throws the ball?      

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 10, 2008, 12:58:43 PM

great point

Play action is set up with a run first, to get the defense leaning forward. We should've run on 1st down, lined up in the same formation on 2nd if we didn't get the 2 yards ( [banghead]), and then used the PA.

You can't expect the defense to bite on PA immediately after we toss a 52 yarder over their heads. They're still in a pass defense mindset...

kmitchell

Starter

#40 : December 10, 2008, 01:00:41 PM

I was screaming for a FB run. Put Caddilac in motion to the outside, then have Askew blast it up the middle behind Faine and Joseph. Askew was money all night, and I don't know why he didn't get a shot.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 10, 2008, 01:06:12 PM

A lot of MMQBing going on that last series...1st down play was there...2nd down was a run that was stuffed...

We got whipped in the trenches on both sides...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 10, 2008, 01:09:43 PM

great point

They're still in a pass defense mindset...

yeah they looked like with the wide open TE in the back of the end zone ....

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 10, 2008, 01:14:30 PM

great point

They're still in a pass defense mindset...

yeah they looked like with the wide open TE in the back of the end zone ....

2 of them...

DavyJonesLocker

Starter

#44 : December 10, 2008, 01:24:51 PM

it astounds me how some peopel can start a dozen whiny threads within a couple of days ....

No Olaf, we woudln't. No one expect to run two play action passes twice on 1st and goal from the two. When the score is 3-0, you expect run, run, pass and then run again on 4th since the score was only 3-0 at the time. If we fail to get 1-2 yards in FOUR tries, then at least our derfense has Carolina on their own 1 yard line where all kinds of trouble can happen. Gruden screwed the pooch on that one, if it was him calling those plays. Maybe Garcia called the pass to get his miserable TD numbers up, who know.

Garcia and Smith screwed the pooch ... Smith wasn't just open ... he was WIDE OPEN
So if Smith was WIDE OPEN, exactly how did he screw the pooch? Was he supposed to pass the ball to himself?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do we have 1st and goal on the 2yd line, and NOT get a TD? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools