Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
: December 09, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

I asked Bucs head coach Jon Gruden why WR Joey Galloway, who has played in the last five games, did not play a single snap on offense last night in Carolina. Here's what he said:

“Antonio is the reason,” Gruden said. “They play the same position. Right now, that’s just the way it is. It’s unfortunate. Michael Clayton is our flanker and Joey is a split end and so is Antonio. That’s the positions they play. Hopefully you are not holding that against me for playing Antonio Bryant.”

“There is the potential for that,” Gruden said. “Joey has been our split end. It sounds easy. It sounds achievable. Joey is not the kind of guy right now in my opinion that is comfortable coming off the bench and playing 18-20 plays a game. He’s a guy that functions better when he’s playing. Being a third receiver, being a guy that comes in and plays situationally, it’s not for everybody. It’s hard. It’s frustrating for me. We tried to mix it up early in the season with Antonio at flanker. That’s obviously not his best position. It’s obviously not Joey’s best position. We have two guys that play the same position. It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality.

“We’re going to play our best players, okay?" Gruden said. "We’re going to play our best players. Joey’s had a lot go on this year with his injuries. He’s missed an awful lot of time. When you play on the strongside there are a lot of things that are different than when you are on the weakside. I’ll just go back and say that we’ve missed him for a long time and we’ve kind of moved on a little bit. Obviously, it’s been tough. We’re going to play our best guys and right now, that’s what we’re doing.”

The most telling passage was "we've kind of moved on a little bit." At age 37, Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may be numbered. If the Bucs re-sign Bryant next year, Galloway may become expendable. Not saying that is the right course of action, I'm just saying that might happen. It's hard to imagine that Galloway is thrilled right now, especially after last night.

We'll have more on this story on the front page of PewterReport.com shortly.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 09, 2008, 12:00:42 PM

The most telling passage was "we've kind of moved on a little bit." At age 37, Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may be numbered. If the Bucs re-sign Bryant next year, Galloway may become expendable. Not saying that is the right course of action, I'm just saying that might happen.

No, SR please say that...

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 09, 2008, 12:01:22 PM

Wow. What a way to have the Galloway Era end. Who woulda thunk it this time 13 months ago.

In Verner We Trust

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 09, 2008, 12:03:41 PM

“Antonio is the reason,” Gruden said. “They play the same position. Right now, that’s just the way it is. It’s unfortunate. Michael Clayton is our flanker and Joey is a split end and so is Antonio. That’s the positions they play. Hopefully you are not holding that against me for playing Antonio Bryant.”

This is full of fail.

Antonio would have no problem moving over to become the flanker while Joey is the SE.  Does Clayton have any incriminating photos of Jon or something?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 09, 2008, 12:05:58 PM

Wow. What a way to have the Galloway Era end. Who woulda thunk it this time 13 months ago.

After how he played in the playoffs last season, I would have thunk it, and did many times.  The best thing ever to happen is for Joey to move on, the worst thing to happen is for Garcia to throw exclusively to Bryant like last night.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 09, 2008, 12:06:26 PM

Galloway is officially in the doghouse.

kmitchell

Starter

#6 : December 09, 2008, 12:11:29 PM

Bryant is much better in the flanker position. He is taller than Galloway, knows how to use his body to get in front of the defenders better, excellent hands (Did anyone see his one handed TD last night), runs better routes, and is a decade younger. Please for the love of God, Bruce give him an extension.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 09, 2008, 12:12:45 PM

Bryant is much better in the flanker position. He is taller than Galloway, knows how to use his body to get in front of the defenders better, excellent hands (Did anyone see his one handed TD last night), runs better routes, and is a decade younger. Please for the love of God, Bruce give him an extension.

Agreed...last night showed he wants to win the battle vs. the DB he's matched up...not necessarily out-run him...but win the battle...

That's the kind of guy you need as your #1...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 09, 2008, 12:13:13 PM

Nothing wrong with using Bryant as the SE if Galloway is unable to go or for future seasons (assuming he is re-signed).  But Galloway is ready to go and it is a shame they can't put him on the field.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 09, 2008, 12:14:41 PM

It's all about Antonio now  - and for good reason. The guy is playing like a stud WR.

Gruden needs to find ways to get Galloway on the field in the slot or wherever he can help.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 09, 2008, 12:16:09 PM

Bryant is much better in the flanker position.

is bryant a much better receiver, or a much better flanker?  besides beating the press, what are the other differences?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#11 : December 09, 2008, 12:21:11 PM

Galloway is officially in the doghouse.

I dont think Joey is in the doghouse...the guy took on Duemig in defense of Gruden

For once we can really call a spade a spade.

Antonio Bryant has to give Jon a reason to play Galloway...right now he hasnt

Nothing personal Antonio has just been Balls all season long and Joey unfortunatly lost his job to an injury

Trust me...like the Garcia situation if Antonio starts to stink the place up (which I dont see happening) you will see flight 84 starting to show up again

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 09, 2008, 12:22:15 PM

Joey should be able to see time as a slot receiver.  But I agree that he's gone next year.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 09, 2008, 12:23:13 PM

Attempting to resign Antonio Bryant is a no-brainer.  

Move over WhiteTiger, we've got our TigerWoods?

~ seriously, thanks Galloway for your play the previous 3 seasons. you'll always be a fan favorite ~

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 09, 2008, 12:23:34 PM

More fail:

We tried to mix it up early in the season with Antonio at flanker. That�s obviously not his best position. It�s obviously not Joey�s best position. We have two guys that play the same position. It�s unfortunate, but it�s reality.

Antonio was sloppy with his pass catching early in the season it had nothing to do with him being the flanker.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools