Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 09, 2008, 12:27:09 PM

Bryant is much better in the flanker position.

is bryant a much better receiver, or a much better flanker? besides beating the press, what are the other differences?

IMO, he's a much better receiver at this point. And with Garcia's propensity to under throw or be off target a bit, you have
to have receivers who can adjust and make plays. Joey has never done that. His game is getting open long and burning
guys. But if the ball isn't thrown perfectly, he doesn't make the catch. And Garcia isn't throwing too many perfect balls
right now.

Having said that, I still would like to see defenses account for both of them on a few plays.

#16 : December 09, 2008, 12:29:07 PM

If Galloway is in the "doghouse" you would see more Dexter Jackson and Bryan Clark

right now Jon is usuing backs in the passing game more often

However that may change once he sees game film and the butterfingers the backs have developed

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 09, 2008, 12:31:12 PM

If Galloway is in the "doghouse" you would see more Dexter Jackson and Bryan Clark

right now Jon is usuing backs in the passing game more often

However that may change once he sees game film and the butterfingers the backs have developed

No we are seeing more of Clayton.....

bucs8ball

Starter

#18 : December 09, 2008, 12:32:18 PM

I asked Bucs head coach Jon Gruden why WR Joey Galloway, who has played in the last five games, did not play a single snap on offense last night in Carolina. Here's what he said:

“Antonio is the reason,” Gruden said. “They play the same position. Right now, that’s just the way it is. It’s unfortunate. Michael Clayton is our flanker and Joey is a split end and so is Antonio. That’s the positions they play. Hopefully you are not holding that against me for playing Antonio Bryant.”

“There is the potential for that,” Gruden said. “Joey has been our split end. It sounds easy. It sounds achievable. Joey is not the kind of guy right now in my opinion that is comfortable coming off the bench and playing 18-20 plays a game. He’s a guy that functions better when he’s playing. Being a third receiver, being a guy that comes in and plays situationally, it’s not for everybody. It’s hard. It’s frustrating for me. We tried to mix it up early in the season with Antonio at flanker. That’s obviously not his best position. It’s obviously not Joey’s best position. We have two guys that play the same position. It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality.

“We’re going to play our best players, okay?" Gruden said. "We’re going to play our best players. Joey’s had a lot go on this year with his injuries. He’s missed an awful lot of time. When you play on the strongside there are a lot of things that are different than when you are on the weakside. I’ll just go back and say that we’ve missed him for a long time and we’ve kind of moved on a little bit. Obviously, it’s been tough. We’re going to play our best guys and right now, that’s what we’re doing.”

The most telling passage was "we've kind of moved on a little bit." At age 37, Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may be numbered. If the Bucs re-sign Bryant next year, Galloway may become expendable. Not saying that is the right course of action, I'm just saying that might happen. It's hard to imagine that Galloway is thrilled right now, especially after last night.

We'll have more on this story on the front page of PewterReport.com shortly.

Scott,

Normally, I enjoy your work, but I have to say this is the biggest non-story of the morning. I listened to the press conference live and I couldn't believe there were 2 questions about Joey's playing time.  It's such a non-issue after last night. The fact is, Joey playing or not-playing didn't make any difference in last night's game. Bryant played like a monster. I don't think there's one person out there who thought Joey should be in for Bryant. As for Joey playing flanker, who really cares? The offense did it's job last night. Joey's PT is the least of my concerns about this team... unless he was going to suit up and start tackling people.

Don't get me wrong, I like Joey and I think Gruden should find a way to get him involved. But, after last night's game, it's a non-issue.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 09, 2008, 12:32:56 PM

Here's the story.

http://pewterreport.com/articles/view/4970

kmitchell

Starter

#20 : December 09, 2008, 12:33:02 PM

is bryant a much better receiver, or a much better flanker? �besides beating the press, what are the other differences?

Flanker and Split End receivers tend to be taller than slot receivers (Welker). Flankers need to be taller, and with longer arms, to win the jump ball deep, especially since Garcia tends to under throw his deep WR's, so it is very important for the size to get yourself between the defender and the ball. If you watched the game last night, some of those deep catches Bryant made would have been picked off if Galloway was the targeted receiver IMO. Speed is also very important for a flanker, because the QB only has so much time in the pocket until he has to throw the ball, so the faster your flanker is, the farther you can spread the opposing defense out, at 37, Galloway is nowhere near his 4.2 40 from nearly 16 years ago.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#21 : December 09, 2008, 12:34:18 PM

I think G way will play in the playoffs.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 09, 2008, 12:34:35 PM

I am sure the PR staff will address your question.

But it isn't a non issue when you consider that a.) Other than Bryant the rest of the WR's were non existent b.) Bucs are trying to make a playoff push and Galloway is healthy

It isn't about benching Bryant for Galloway.  More so why can't Galloway and Bryant be on the field at the same time?  Gruden's response was rather defensive.

And no one is suggesting JG play flanker.

#23 : December 09, 2008, 12:35:58 PM

Has anyone asked Joey why he isnt playing...

Maybe he doesnt feel like he can go 100%

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 09, 2008, 12:39:15 PM

Joey should be able to see time as a slot receiver. 

More fail:

Joey is not the kind of guy right now in my opinion that is comfortable coming off the bench and playing 18-20 plays a game. He’s a guy that functions better when he’s playing. Being a third receiver, being a guy that comes in and plays situationally, it’s not for everybody. It’s hard. It’s frustrating for me.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 09, 2008, 12:39:32 PM

I asked Bucs head coach Jon Gruden why WR Joey Galloway, who has played in the last five games, did not play a single snap on offense last night in Carolina. Here's what he said:

�Antonio is the reason,� Gruden said. �They play the same position. Right now, that�s just the way it is. It�s unfortunate. Michael Clayton is our flanker and Joey is a split end and so is Antonio. That�s the positions they play. Hopefully you are not holding that against me for playing Antonio Bryant.�

�There is the potential for that,� Gruden said. �Joey has been our split end. It sounds easy. It sounds achievable. Joey is not the kind of guy right now in my opinion that is comfortable coming off the bench and playing 18-20 plays a game. He�s a guy that functions better when he�s playing. Being a third receiver, being a guy that comes in and plays situationally, it�s not for everybody. It�s hard. It�s frustrating for me. We tried to mix it up early in the season with Antonio at flanker. That�s obviously not his best position. It�s obviously not Joey�s best position. We have two guys that play the same position. It�s unfortunate, but it�s reality.

�We�re going to play our best players, okay?" Gruden said. "We�re going to play our best players. Joey�s had a lot go on this year with his injuries. He�s missed an awful lot of time. When you play on the strongside there are a lot of things that are different than when you are on the weakside. I�ll just go back and say that we�ve missed him for a long time and we�ve kind of moved on a little bit. Obviously, it�s been tough. We�re going to play our best guys and right now, that�s what we�re doing.�

The most telling passage was "we've kind of moved on a little bit." At age 37, Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may be numbered. If the Bucs re-sign Bryant next year, Galloway may become expendable. Not saying that is the right course of action, I'm just saying that might happen. It's hard to imagine that Galloway is thrilled right now, especially after last night.

We'll have more on this story on the front page of PewterReport.com shortly.

Scott,

Normally, I enjoy your work, but I have to say this is the biggest non-story of the morning. I listened to the press conference live and I couldn't believe there were 2 questions about Joey's playing time. �It's such a non-issue after last night. The fact is, Joey playing or not-playing didn't make any difference in last night's game. Bryant played like a monster. I don't think there's one person out there who thought Joey should be in for Bryant. As for Joey playing flanker, who really cares? The offense did it's job last night. Joey's PT is the least of my concerns about this team... unless he was going to suit up and start tackling people.

Don't get me wrong, I like Joey and I think Gruden should find a way to get him involved. But, after last night's game, it's a non-issue.

What made it notable is that Galloway didn't even play a single snap despite being healthy. That's newsworthy. Galloway is arguably the best WR in team history and coming off three straight years of 1,000-yard seasons.

Right before halftime when the Bucs were trying to get a quick score, Gruden had Bryant, Clayton and Hilliard on the field together. I would have preferred to see Galloway in there in place of Hilliard due to the speed factor. If Tampa Bay gets a quick TD or even a FG there it could have altered the play in the third quarter somewhat. Who knows?

The fact that Gruden admitted "we've kind of moved on" is perhaps the most newsworthy item. That signals to me that Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may indeed be numbered.

bucs8ball

Starter

#26 : December 09, 2008, 12:40:59 PM

I am sure the PR staff will address your question.

But it isn't a non issue when you consider that a.) Other than Bryant the rest of the WR's were non existent b.) Bucs are trying to make a playoff push and Galloway is healthy
It isn't about benching Bryant for Galloway. More so why can't Galloway and Bryant be on the field at the same time? Gruden's response was rather defensive.

And no one is suggesting JG play flanker.

Isn't that what you're suggesting? Or our you suggesting we move Bryant away from a position that he excelled in last night. How do you know that Gruden didn't have some packages for 84 that he didn't use because of how well Bryant was playing.

I maintain that there are more pressing issues on this team this morning than Joey G's playing time. How about Sabby's poor play? Or where was Ruud last night? Or how about the red zone play calling in the 1st quarter? Or how about special teams missing a FG and giving up a blocked extra point?

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 09, 2008, 12:42:10 PM

The difference is the SE in Gruden version is the receiving option while the flanker seems to be more the blocker, essentially what is going on is that Clayton is the teams best flanker because of his physical style of play and blocking skills, something Galloway will never be accused of, while Bryant doesnt have Galloways pure speed he is more physical then Galloway and adds a wrinkle that not even Galloway can bring to the SE position and that is toughness.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 09, 2008, 12:42:38 PM

Gruden argued they tried Bryant at flanker, but it didn't "work out". 

Bryant at flanker with JG at split end is superior than Bryant at split end with Clayton/Hilliard as flankers IMVHO.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 09, 2008, 12:43:43 PM

is bryant a much better receiver, or a much better flanker? �besides beating the press, what are the other differences?

Flanker and Split End receivers tend to be taller than slot receivers (Welker). Flankers need to be taller, and with longer arms, to win the jump ball deep, especially since Garcia tends to under throw his deep WR's, so it is very important for the size to get yourself between the defender and the ball. If you watched the game last night, some of those deep catches Bryant made would have been picked off if Galloway was the targeted receiver IMO. Speed is also very important for a flanker, because the QB only has so much time in the pocket until he has to throw the ball, so the faster your flanker is, the farther you can spread the opposing defense out, at 37, Galloway is nowhere near his 4.2 40 from nearly 16 years ago.

I don't think Galloway is ideal for either  flanker or slot. In the Bucs offense the Flanker has a lot of blocking responsibility and Galloway is simply not a contact guy. In addition, the Flanker patters for the Bucs seem to be in the middle of the field and, again, that's not Galloway's game. As to the slot.....a lot of the same middle of the field issues arise AND the Bucs use the slot in 3rd down situations in which Hilliard is the go to guy. Galloway's strength is the quick underneath pass or the deep pass over the top. Neither have many of those big, mean defenders around when the ball is in the air.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools