Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 09, 2008, 12:44:26 PM

The difference is the SE in Gruden version is the receiving option while the flanker seems to be more the blocker, essentially what is going on is that Clayton is the teams best flanker because of his physical style of play and blocking skills, something Galloway will never be accused of, while Bryant doesnt have Galloways pure speed he is more physical then Galloway and adds a wrinkle that not even Galloway can bring to the SE position and that is toughness.

I understand that Gruden implied that Clayton is better as the flanker than Bryant.  But is Clayton's blocking worth it when you have a chance of putting Bryant and Galloway on the field at the same time?  Seriously?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 09, 2008, 12:45:24 PM

I asked Bucs head coach Jon Gruden why WR Joey Galloway, who has played in the last five games, did not play a single snap on offense last night in Carolina. Here's what he said:

�Antonio is the reason,� Gruden said. �They play the same position. Right now, that�s just the way it is. It�s unfortunate. Michael Clayton is our flanker and Joey is a split end and so is Antonio. That�s the positions they play. Hopefully you are not holding that against me for playing Antonio Bryant.�

�There is the potential for that,� Gruden said. �Joey has been our split end. It sounds easy. It sounds achievable. Joey is not the kind of guy right now in my opinion that is comfortable coming off the bench and playing 18-20 plays a game. He�s a guy that functions better when he�s playing. Being a third receiver, being a guy that comes in and plays situationally, it�s not for everybody. It�s hard. It�s frustrating for me. We tried to mix it up early in the season with Antonio at flanker. That�s obviously not his best position. It�s obviously not Joey�s best position. We have two guys that play the same position. It�s unfortunate, but it�s reality.

�We�re going to play our best players, okay?" Gruden said. "We�re going to play our best players. Joey�s had a lot go on this year with his injuries. He�s missed an awful lot of time. When you play on the strongside there are a lot of things that are different than when you are on the weakside. I�ll just go back and say that we�ve missed him for a long time and we�ve kind of moved on a little bit. Obviously, it�s been tough. We�re going to play our best guys and right now, that�s what we�re doing.�

The most telling passage was "we've kind of moved on a little bit." At age 37, Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may be numbered. If the Bucs re-sign Bryant next year, Galloway may become expendable. Not saying that is the right course of action, I'm just saying that might happen. It's hard to imagine that Galloway is thrilled right now, especially after last night.

We'll have more on this story on the front page of PewterReport.com shortly.

Scott,

Normally, I enjoy your work, but I have to say this is the biggest non-story of the morning. I listened to the press conference live and I couldn't believe there were 2 questions about Joey's playing time. �It's such a non-issue after last night. The fact is, Joey playing or not-playing didn't make any difference in last night's game. Bryant played like a monster. I don't think there's one person out there who thought Joey should be in for Bryant. As for Joey playing flanker, who really cares? The offense did it's job last night. Joey's PT is the least of my concerns about this team... unless he was going to suit up and start tackling people.

Don't get me wrong, I like Joey and I think Gruden should find a way to get him involved. But, after last night's game, it's a non-issue.

What made it notable is that Galloway didn't even play a single snap despite being healthy. That's newsworthy. Galloway is arguably the best WR in team history and coming off three straight years of 1,000-yard seasons.

Right before halftime when the Bucs were trying to get a quick score, Gruden had Bryant, Clayton and Hilliard on the field together. I would have preferred to see Galloway in there in place of Hilliard due to the speed factor. If Tampa Bay gets a quick TD or even a FG there it could have altered the play in the third quarter somewhat. Who knows?

The fact that Gruden admitted "we've kind of moved on" is perhaps the most newsworthy item. That signals to me that Galloway's days in Tampa Bay may indeed be numbered.

Since early this season, I haven't even considered that Galloway would be back.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 09, 2008, 12:46:37 PM

Gruden argued they tried Bryant at flanker, but it didn't "work out".

Bryant at flanker with JG at split end is superior than Bryant at split end with Clayton/Hilliard as flankers IMVHO.

Accomodate Galloway at Bryant's expense?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 09, 2008, 12:46:59 PM

The difference is the SE in Gruden version is the receiving option while the flanker seems to be more the blocker, essentially what is going on is that Clayton is the teams best flanker because of his physical style of play and blocking skills, something Galloway will never be accused of, while Bryant doesnt have Galloways pure speed he is more physical then Galloway and adds a wrinkle that not even Galloway can bring to the SE position and that is toughness.

I understand that Gruden implied that Clayton is better as the flanker than Bryant. But is Clayton's blocking worth it when you have a chance of putting Bryant and Galloway on the field at the same time? Seriously?

The Flanker's blocking is extremely important in the run game. If Galloway is in there he could limit....or telegraph....the playcalling.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 09, 2008, 12:47:38 PM

It is not what we think but what Gruden thinks and at this point in time it would appear that he feels that having Bryant at the Split end, Clayton as the flanker and Hilliard in the slot is best for the team.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 09, 2008, 12:47:55 PM

Bryant at flanker with JG at split end is superior than Bryant at split end with Clayton/Hilliard as flankers IMVHO.

At this juncture, it's likely that you're weakening two positions.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 09, 2008, 12:49:08 PM

I hold the opinion Bryant's productivity wouldn't suffer as a flanker unless you place Clayton's blocking with such a high value.

When Bryant and Galloway were in Dallas they found a way to have them on the field at the same time.  I know a difficult concept for us Bucs fans to grasp.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 09, 2008, 12:50:03 PM

Your opinion, but it looks like to me Bucs have decided to keep a weak link on the field (Clayton) because of run blocking over having another game breaker on the field.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 09, 2008, 12:50:43 PM

I hold the opinion Bryant's productivity wouldn't suffer as a flanker unless you place Clayton's blocking with such a high value.

When Bryant and Galloway were in Dallas they found a way to have them on the field at the same time. I know a difficult concept for us Bucs fans to grasp.

When Galloway and Bryant were in Dallas they could both play. I'm not sure that's the case any more.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 09, 2008, 12:50:48 PM

It is not what we think but what Gruden thinks and at this point in time it would appear that he feels that having Bryant at the Split end, Clayton as the flanker and Hilliard in the slot is best for the team.

This is maddening.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 09, 2008, 12:52:39 PM

When Bryant and Galloway were in Dallas they found a way to have them on the field at the same time. I know a difficult concept for us Bucs fans to grasp.

When Galloway and Bryant were in Dallas they could both play. I'm not sure that's the case any more.

Gruden clearly didn't highlight any injury about Galloway, so what do you think the "case" is then that is holding Galloway back from being on the field?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 09, 2008, 12:53:49 PM

I understand that Gruden implied that Clayton is better as the flanker than Bryant. But is Clayton's blocking worth it when you have a chance of putting Bryant and Galloway on the field at the same time? Seriously?

The Flanker's blocking is extremely important in the run game. If Galloway is in there he could limit....or telegraph....the playcalling.

I am not suggesting Galloway play flanker.

Keep up.

T

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 09, 2008, 12:55:19 PM

Galloway is not a #1 WR never has been, let's get that straight. He does not have the size or strength to beat press coverage, he can't play opposite of Bryant because, he does not have the skill set to block and go over the middle. Thanks for your services "White Tiger" but you have been replaced.

#43 : December 09, 2008, 12:55:26 PM

Bryant is much better in the flanker position. He is taller than Galloway, knows how to use his body to get in front of the defenders better, excellent hands (Did anyone see his one handed TD last night), runs better routes, and is a decade younger. Please for the love of God, Bruce give him an extension.

Nothing wrong with using Bryant as the SE if Galloway is unable to go or for future seasons (assuming he is re-signed).  But Galloway is ready to go and it is a shame they can't put him on the field.

Have you seen him play this year?  Something is not right about the guy, he's not playing like he used to.  

I'd have to say the only thing full of fail is your posts on this.  Why not just post "I hate Gruden"?  Because that's really about all your posts are saying anyway.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 09, 2008, 12:56:36 PM

Galloway is not a #1 WR never has been, let's get that straight. He does not have the size or strength to beat press coverage, he can't play opposite of Bryant because, he does not have the skill set to block and go over the middle. Thanks for your services "White Tiger" but you have been replaced.

Bryant has the skill set to block and go over the middle.

Unless as ryan alludes Clayton blocking is that important (lol)..
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: IS GALLOWAY DONE IN TAMPA BAY? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools