Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 10, 2008, 10:35:45 PM

McCarney coached USF DL last year and pretty sure their entire line as a whole and especially Selvie had a much better year last year.

no doubt about it

The loss of McCarney didn't help but I believe the loss of Williams, Jenkins, and Moffitt hurt more ...

Defense as a whole, probably, but the DL was much worse regardless of that.  I understand secondary can make DL look better, but really the difference in that DL last year to this was much more than that.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 10, 2008, 10:37:27 PM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.  Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside.  

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

You misread what I said.

Not Kelly to UCF, Kelly to UF to take over as OC for Mullen.

Not inconceivable......would he be better off staying at Oregon and taking over there in a couple years, or coming to UF, potentially coaching Tebow one year, host of other talented players in the biggest stage, then taking a premiere job?

It's darkhorse no doubt, but if Urban and UF came calling I bet Kelly would listen.....

Or be a HC at Oregon, a job with very little stress. Have Masoli at QB for 2 more years, who will be a very good QB. Oregon OC to florida would be an upgrade... but not Oregon HC over Florida OC.

Hes already in the hunt for top tier offensive players

Bryce Brown
Taj Boyd

all who have Oregon in top 3.

why would he listen for an OC job but not listen for a SEC HC job?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 10, 2008, 10:45:35 PM

Because one is Miss. St., other is UF. 

Why go be HC at a doormat when you can be an OC at potentially a school with 2 of last 3 NC's, potentially last 2 Heisman's, and loads of talent at your disposal? 

Hey, Oregon might have some talented players, but nowhere near the level of depth at UF.  I hope you aren't going to argue otherwise....

I am guessing (and again, remind you I said Kelly coming is a darkhorse) Kelly could come to UF, be the OC for 1-2 years, then land a better gig than Oregon or Miss. St., and be better off. 

Again, just a rumor and darkhorse at that.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 11, 2008, 12:10:10 AM

Why go be HC at a doormat when you can be an OC at potentially a school with 2 of last 3 NC's, potentially last 2 Heisman's, and loads of talent at your disposal? 

Hey, Oregon might have some talented players, but nowhere near the level of depth at UF.  I hope you aren't going to argue otherwise....

I am guessing (and again, remind you I said Kelly coming is a darkhorse) Kelly could come to UF, be the OC for 1-2 years, then land a better gig than Oregon or Miss. St., and be better off. 

Love to here this rumor. He would have no problem getting a top tier job here, as OC. He was already getting a lot of interest this year in year 2. Year 3 he would land a top gig.

Florida has more talent, but its an OC JOB!!!!! Oregon as a HC is a safe job, you can recruit pretty good here, very little pressure and just as good as chance as anyone to get to a BCS Bowl. Not to mention he has a lot of players invested in this team. The future QB was his recruit, and RB. Not to mention hes the reason Bryce Brown now from all signs is now 50/50 with Miami. And hes the reason Taj Boyd has Oregon in his top 3, first thing he did when him and the Vols decided to part ways... leave a message for Chip. He showing he can hang with anyone for recruits.

If he has no interest in interviewing for a HC gig in the SEC, why would he for an OC gig? Yes Florida is better but a HC is better then OC

LFO

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 11, 2008, 12:15:51 AM

Love to here this rumor. He would have no problem getting a top tier job here, as OC. He was already getting a lot of interest this year in year 2. Year 3 he would land a top gig.

Florida has more talent, but its an OC JOB!!!!! Oregon as a HC is a safe job, you can recruit pretty good here, very little pressure and just as good as chance as anyone to get to a BCS Bowl. Not to mention he has a lot of players invested in this team. The future QB was his recruit, and RB. Not to mention hes the reason Bryce Brown now from all signs is now 50/50 with Miami. And hes the reason Taj Boyd has Oregon in his top 3, first thing he did when him and the Vols decided to part ways... leave a message for Chip. He showing he can hang with anyone for recruits.

If he has no interest in interviewing for a HC gig in the SEC, why would he for an OC gig? Yes Florida is better but a HC is better then OC

HC not always better than OC, depends on when and where, and the person.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 11, 2008, 12:24:22 AM

HC not always better than OC, depends on when and where, and the person.

HC is good for him here, I believe. Will still have Bellotti around, can get the players he needs here, and has shown he can recruit. Not like he can hire a worse DC then we have here. So I expect not much to change with him as coach

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 11, 2008, 07:58:27 AM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.  Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside. 

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

You misread what I said.

Not inconceivable......would he be better off staying at Oregon and taking over there in a couple years, or coming to UF, potentially coaching Tebow one year, host of other talented players in the biggest stage, then taking a premiere job?

It's darkhorse no doubt, but if Urban and UF came calling I bet Kelly would listen.....

No offense, LFO, but this is the kind of arrogant bs that has plagued UF fans .... That line of reasoning, darkhorse or not, makes no sense. You're calling Miss State a premiere job?? The OC at UF is NOT a better gig than HC at the vast majority of BCS schools.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 11, 2008, 09:02:37 AM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.  Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside. 
Most likely candidate from outside the program should be former Bowling Green head coach Gregg Brandon.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 11, 2008, 09:09:40 AM

You misread what I said.

No offense, LFO, but this is the kind of arrogant a subject for debate that has plagued UF fans .... That line of reasoning, darkhorse or not, makes no sense. You're calling Miss State a premiere job?? The OC at UF is NOT a better gig than HC at the vast majority of BCS schools.

Damn, do you people have reading problems?  Sorry, I had to do it...

He wasn't calling MSU a premiere job.  He was speaking about a number of other schools.  As a matter of fact, he calls MSU a doormat.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 11, 2008, 09:21:08 AM

McCarney is overrated LFO.  I have some friends that played at Iowa State and they told me he is not all there.
He's no Rick Trickett, that's for sure.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 11, 2008, 01:15:51 PM

You misread what I said.

No offense, LFO, but this is the kind of arrogant a subject for debate that has plagued UF fans .... That line of reasoning, darkhorse or not, makes no sense. You're calling Miss State a premiere job?? The OC at UF is NOT a better gig than HC at the vast majority of BCS schools.

First of all, I never said Miss. St. was a premiere job.  It is in fact a crappy job.  They expect so much but reality is they aren't a great school/program. 

Nothing I said was arrogant.  What's a better job OC at Oregon or OC at UF?  If saying UF makes me arrogant, well, then I guess I am.  But I'd think that is just common sense.  All I was saying was if Kelly supposedly got an offer to interview at Miss. St. after being at Oregon, I think he might get a better offer if he came to UF and was OC there for 1-2 years.  I don't think that is unreasonable to believe.  First of all it is a bigger stage in what most believe to be a better conference (whether it is or not is irrelevant, perception is that it is).  Second of all, if he proves he can run 2 different BCS schools offenses at a high level, he is that much more attractive.  If you can take 2 different schools in 2 different conferences and put up great numbers, it's hard for anyone to find any arguments against your coaching. 

No point in going any further if you somehow constructed that I said Miss. St. was premiere.  You'll probably just misconstrue what I said even more....

Arrogant subject for debate plaguing UF fans?  LOL.  It is that kind of ignorant comment that plagues you. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 11, 2008, 02:25:09 PM

I think BBB was referencing he fact that the current OC is heading to Miss State and connecting the dots ...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 11, 2008, 02:54:33 PM

i think a darkhorse for the UF OC job could be gregg brandon, or brandon gregg.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 11, 2008, 03:00:30 PM

i think a darkhorse for the UF OC job could be gregg brandon, or brandon gregg.

I heard Greg Gregory is in the running ... oh please God .... please ....

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 11, 2008, 04:21:34 PM

I think BBB was referencing he fact that the current OC is heading to Miss State and connecting the dots ...

Ya think .....??   :D

LFO is playing up the UF OC job as a stepping stone to "premiere" HC jobs so it's only natural that since the most recent UF OC, who has a national title and a Heisman trophy winner .... with the potential of doubling those figures .... went to MSU, THAT must be a "premiere" HC position .... Connect the dots indeed.  ;)

Chip Kelly already has a HC job coming to him, if I understand correctly, at a BCS program that isn't exactly chopped liver. Why would he take a step back and go back to being an OC ANYWHERE in college football? The arrogance comes in because the UF people actually appear to think the OC at UF is a better gig than the HC at Oregon ... and that is ludicrous, in my opinion.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools