Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#75 : December 15, 2008, 10:07:21 AM

Gotta love CFB.

Play your biggest game 1 month after the season, and perhaps with several coaches gone.

Isn't that why they used to pass out MNC before the bowl games?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

LFO

Hall of Famer

#76 : December 15, 2008, 05:38:20 PM

On the surface it might be puzzling, but I think he knows he can win there.  He thinks he can get recruits there (look at USF). 

What's the look at USF part about?   You really think mid-major program has the same kind of pull as a BcS program?  Might as well compare UCF to UF or The U.

USF hasn't been a BCS program that long.  Not long ago, they were right there with UCF.  What changed?  They got a good coach, started pulling in recruits, then got an invite to a BCS conference.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#77 : December 16, 2008, 12:01:35 PM

On the surface it might be puzzling, but I think he knows he can win there.� He thinks he can get recruits there (look at USF).�

What's the look at USF part about?� �You really think mid-major program has the same kind of pull as a BcS program?� Might as well compare UCF to UF or The U.

USF hasn't been a BCS program that long.  Not long ago, they were right there with UCF.  What changed?  They got a good coach, started pulling in recruits, then got an invite to a BCS conference.

they joined the BE and became a BCS program, that's what changed. That's all the difference. And not too long before that they moved from FCS to the FBS and that made a HUGE difference as well.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

LFO

Hall of Famer

#78 : December 16, 2008, 07:08:57 PM

On the surface it might be puzzling, but I think he knows he can win there.� He thinks he can get recruits there (look at USF).�

What's the look at USF part about?� �You really think mid-major program has the same kind of pull as a BcS program?� Might as well compare UCF to UF or The U.

they joined the BE and became a BCS program, that's what changed. That's all the difference. And not too long before that they moved from FCS to the FBS and that made a HUGE difference as well.

Point is, UCF is in a good location.  They can get good players there.  Bring in a well respected up and coming coach, and you get even more.  Start getting more and more great players, and then you might make it to a BCS conference. 

Really, UCF should be in Big East anyway....them and 3 other teams.  No reason to have an 8 team BCS conference. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#79 : December 16, 2008, 07:18:56 PM

Interesting...heard today that Urban Said Mullen will be with the team (UF) through the holiday's, will coach in the BCS game, and will call plays as normal. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#80 : December 17, 2008, 09:45:25 AM

USF hasn't been a BCS program that long.� Not long ago, they were right there with UCF.� What changed?� They got a good coach, started pulling in recruits, then got an invite to a BCS conference.

Point is, UCF is in a good location.  They can get good players there.  Bring in a well respected up and coming coach, and you get even more.  Start getting more and more great players, and then you might make it to a BCS conference. 

Really, UCF should be in Big East anyway....them and 3 other teams.  No reason to have an 8 team BCS conference. 

In florida, they'll be able to get some guys. But their still a step down from USF.  I agree with that BE call, but they have Basketball stuff to concern themselves with as well. I think that's as big a problem as anything.

UCF, Georgia Southern, Troy?, .... Uh.... well and coming up with four decent programs might be difficult.  ECU, ND (Dream)...   ??

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#81 : December 17, 2008, 01:43:30 PM

USF hasn't been a BCS program that long.� Not long ago, they were right there with UCF.� What changed?� They got a good coach, started pulling in recruits, then got an invite to a BCS conference.

Point is, UCF is in a good location. They can get good players there. Bring in a well respected up and coming coach, and you get even more. Start getting more and more great players, and then you might make it to a BCS conference.

Really, UCF should be in Big East anyway....them and 3 other teams. No reason to have an 8 team BCS conference.

I agree with that BE call, but they have Basketball stuff to concern themselves with as well. I think that's as big a problem as anything.

You are correct.  There are 16 teams in the BE basketball.  Finding teams to come for football only is not very likely and adding more teams to the basketball doesn't seem viable.  The BE would love for Notre Dame to join the football conference and I believe at one time Villanova's name was bantered about as a potential team to make the jump up in football as well.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#82 : December 17, 2008, 05:59:54 PM

I'd start with UCF, Troy, ECU......add one more team, you have 12.  ND would be a pipe dream....they need to go to Big10(1)

LFO

Hall of Famer

#83 : December 22, 2008, 05:03:20 PM

Interesting blurb on McCarney:

According to Bruce Feldman:
Quote:
Dan Mullen might not be the only Florida assistant leaving UF after the season. Sources say Gator D-line coach Dan McCarney interviewed for the vacant coaching job at Army.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#84 : December 22, 2008, 06:01:57 PM

Quote:
Dan Mullen might not be the only Florida assistant leaving UF after the season. Sources say Gator D-line coach Dan McCarney interviewed for the vacant coaching job at Army.

army job is a dead end job. My boss is good friends with their ex coach... dead end job

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#85 : December 23, 2008, 10:27:56 AM

Quote:

army job is a dead end job. My boss is good friends with their ex coach... dead end job

Why does he say that?  Navy seems to have worked out for a few coaches, why not army?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#86 : December 29, 2008, 01:08:58 AM

Ok, after seeing how the BUCS did when Kiffin said he was leaving, I am a bit more concerned about Mullen/UF vs. Oklahoma.  I guess, my only hope is since UF and Urban seem to employ a committee type approach to game planning/play calling that we will be ok, but again I am just a little concerned......

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#87 : December 29, 2008, 03:08:25 PM

Ok, after seeing how the BUCS did when Kiffin said he was leaving, I am a bit more concerned about Mullen/UF vs. Oklahoma.  I guess, my only hope is since UF and Urban seem to employ a committee type approach to game planning/play calling that we will be ok, but again I am just a little concerned......

Do you honestly think that kiffin leaving had anything to do with the collapse?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#88 : December 29, 2008, 03:12:16 PM

Yes.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#89 : December 29, 2008, 03:48:33 PM

Ok, after seeing how the BUCS did when Kiffin said he was leaving, I am a bit more concerned about Mullen/UF vs. Oklahoma.� I guess, my only hope is since UF and Urban seem to employ a committee type approach to game planning/play calling that we will be ok, but again I am just a little concerned......

Yes.

That wouldn't say much for the maturity level of our defensive players ..... If anything, Monte leaving should have inspired them to play even harder to make sure he went out on a high note.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools