Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: December 10, 2008, 04:16:59 PM

ESPN report says so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3760099

If true, I hope it doesn't distract the team any...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 10, 2008, 05:56:37 PM

Also heard rumor today that UCF is set to fire O'Leary, and hire Strong.

There is a chance the Gators could lose as many as 5 coaches this year.

Mullen and Tebow were close, thet might hurt him next year or push him to leave.  Strong will be easier to replace if we can hang onto McCarney. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 10, 2008, 06:18:07 PM

That's got to be just a rumor. Why would Strong settle for a job like that? There aren't any BCS openings that would be more attractive?

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 10, 2008, 06:56:20 PM

McCarney is overrated LFO.  I have some friends that played at Iowa State and they told me he is not all there.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 10, 2008, 07:01:36 PM

McCarney is overrated

Is an FSU fan really talking about an overrated coaching staff?  That's cute...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 10, 2008, 07:39:37 PM

McCarney is overrated LFO.  I have some friends that played at Iowa State and they told me he is not all there.

Pretty sure UF's defensive line this year speaks for itself with vast improvement from last year.  This is of course, after having last year's coach leave and coach the Baltimore Ravens.  Also, of course, McCarney coached USF DL last year and pretty sure their entire line as a whole and especially Selvie had a much better year last year. 

But yeah, McCarney sucks, why bother with results or production? 

Sounds like more ignorant Seminole blather by our new resident Nole homer.  After all, we know Noles don't care about results or production, judging by their self-dubbed Greatest coaching Staff on Earth - yet consistently poor to mediocre teams.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 10, 2008, 07:46:04 PM

That's got to be just a rumor. Why would Strong settle for a job like that? There aren't any BCS openings that would be more attractive?

On the surface it might be puzzling, but I think he knows he can win there.  He thinks he can get recruits there (look at USF).  Why not go there, build it up for a few years gain some experience and then spring board to a much more attractive job? 

After all, I'd put my money that Strong can WIN at UCF, and use that to spring into a big time job where he has a shot, than Mullen at Miss. St.  Remember, Urban Meyer won at Bowling Green and then Utah before landing the UF gig.  Not sure where he would be if he took a job like Duke, Miss. St., or some other low level BCS job where his chances of winning are diminished.  Of course, he might have been ok, but I think his path was much better than had he just jumped right into a BCS job before taking Head Jobs at BG/Utah.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 10, 2008, 09:01:27 PM

McCarney coached USF DL last year and pretty sure their entire line as a whole and especially Selvie had a much better year last year.

no doubt about it

LFO

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 10, 2008, 09:04:30 PM

McCarney coached USF DL last year and pretty sure their entire line as a whole and especially Selvie had a much better year last year.

no doubt about it

Hey, but Samari the Semenole said he sucks, so it must be true right?  We shouldn't let the facts get in the way or anything.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 10, 2008, 09:11:17 PM

maybe mccarney is overrated as a headcoach, which samaris friends knew him as.  but he certainly seems to be proving his worth as a position coach.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

LFO

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 10, 2008, 09:28:12 PM

maybe mccarney is overrated as a headcoach, which samaris friends knew him as.  but he certainly seems to be proving his worth as a position coach.

Perhaps he is....but then again, Iowa State isn't exactly a powerhouse, and he was probably their most successful coach.

Let's look at it this way.....they have made 9 Bowls in their EXISTENCE, spanning back to 1892!  Dan McCarney coached FIVE of those bowl teams, and their ONLY 2 wins. 

McCarney was only 56-87 there, which on the surface yeah that sucks.  But he did make 5 bowls, winning 2.  His last 2 years he was 11-13, they are 5-19 their 2 years since he left. 

Pretty sure anyone who gets that job is going to suck.....but McCarney appeared to do a pretty damn good job there. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 10, 2008, 09:51:28 PM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.  Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 10, 2008, 10:02:21 PM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.  Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside. 

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

LFO

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 10, 2008, 10:12:48 PM

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

You misread what I said.

Not Kelly to UCF, Kelly to UF to take over as OC for Mullen.

Not inconceivable......would he be better off staying at Oregon and taking over there in a couple years, or coming to UF, potentially coaching Tebow one year, host of other talented players in the biggest stage, then taking a premiere job?

It's darkhorse no doubt, but if Urban and UF came calling I bet Kelly would listen.....

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 10, 2008, 10:31:07 PM

no doubt about it

The loss of McCarney didn't help but I believe the loss of Williams, Jenkins, and Moffitt hurt more ...
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools