Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 11, 2008, 04:34:55 PM

I think BBB was referencing he fact that the current OC is heading to Miss State and connecting the dots ...

Ya think .....?? :D

Just a stab in the dark.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 11, 2008, 04:36:19 PM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.� Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside.�

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

You misread what I said.

Not Kelly to UCF, Kelly to UF to take over as OC for Mullen.

Not inconceivable......would he be better off staying at Oregon and taking over there in a couple years, or coming to UF, potentially coaching Tebow one year, host of other talented players in the biggest stage, then taking a premiere job?

It's darkhorse no doubt, but if Urban and UF came calling I bet Kelly would listen.....

No offense, LFO, but this is the kind of arrogant a subject for debate that has plagued UF fans .... That line of reasoning, darkhorse or not, makes no sense. You're calling Miss State a premiere job?? The OC at UF is NOT a better gig than HC at the vast majority of BCS schools.

First of all, I never said Miss. St. was a premiere job.  It is in fact a crappy job.  They expect so much but reality is they aren't a great school/program.  

Nothing I said was arrogant.  What's a better job OC at Oregon or OC at UF?  If saying UF makes me arrogant, well, then I guess I am.  But I'd think that is just common sense.  All I was saying was if Kelly supposedly got an offer to interview at Miss. St. after being at Oregon, I think he might get a better offer if he came to UF and was OC there for 1-2 years.  I don't think that is unreasonable to believe.  First of all it is a bigger stage in what most believe to be a better conference (whether it is or not is irrelevant, perception is that it is).  Second of all, if he proves he can run 2 different BCS schools offenses at a high level, he is that much more attractive.  If you can take 2 different schools in 2 different conferences and put up great numbers, it's hard for anyone to find any arguments against your coaching.  

No point in going any further if you somehow constructed that I said Miss. St. was premiere.  You'll probably just misconstrue what I said even more....

Arrogant subject for debate plaguing UF fans?  LOL.  It is that kind of ignorant comment that plagues you.  

Hes HC at Oregin by 2010. Hes been named coach in waiting. Bellotti said by 2010 hes done. May be after next year.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 11, 2008, 04:39:12 PM

I think BBB was referencing he fact that the current OC is heading to Miss State and connecting the dots ...

Ya think .....??   :D

LFO is playing up the UF OC job as a stepping stone to "premiere" HC jobs so it's only natural that since the most recent UF OC, who has a national title and a Heisman trophy winner .... with the potential of doubling those figures .... went to MSU, THAT must be a "premiere" HC position .... Connect the dots indeed.  ;)

Chip Kelly already has a HC job coming to him, if I understand correctly, at a BCS program that isn't exactly chopped liver. Why would he take a step back and go back to being an OC ANYWHERE in college football? The arrogance comes in because the UF people actually appear to think the OC at UF is a better gig than the HC at Oregon ... and that is ludicrous, in my opinion.

To alot of SEC fans... coaching in the pac-10 is like D-1AA. And a OC job in the SEC is so much better then a HC job in the pac-10. Although Oregon has shown that every few years they can make a run into the top 5. But who cares, Kelly would only leave to the Northeast where hes from, and he said he had no interest in the Syracuse job. So it shows hes not planning to move.

Kelly isnt and wont be an OC at Florida. If he is... Ill quit posting here.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 11, 2008, 05:27:42 PM

LFO is playing up the UF OC job as a stepping stone to "premiere" HC jobs so it's only natural that since the most recent UF OC, who has a national title and a Heisman trophy winner .... with the potential of doubling those figures .... went to MSU, THAT must be a "premiere" HC position .... Connect the dots indeed.  ;)

Chip Kelly already has a HC job coming to him, if I understand correctly, at a BCS program that isn't exactly chopped liver. Why would he take a step back and go back to being an OC ANYWHERE in college football? The arrogance comes in because the UF people actually appear to think the OC at UF is a better gig than the HC at Oregon ... and that is ludicrous, in my opinion.

If Kelly could run successful offenses at Oregon and at Oregon, his resume would be greater than that of Mullen, who in reality most Gator fans find the most expendable of any coaches.  SOME think the offense performs and Gators win despite Mullen. 

I never claimed that the OC job was better than HC at Oregon. That is you once again putting words in the mouth of another to try and make a point, which in reality was only made to argue.   But FACT is, Kelly is not currently the HC ANYWHERE, and a lot can change in 2 years.  You are only as good as your next game, and I guarantee you that should Oregon lay ducks the next couple years, Mr. Kelly won't be so hot their in Oregon and nothing will be guaranteed.  Ask Jim Haslett about how that guarantee of a HC job worked out for him at STL. 

Every coach is different, and Mullen might have felt it was time for him to go try and be a HC.  Kelly obviously did not.  What is right for one is not always right for another.  I was not being arrogant in any way by suggesting that POSSIBLY Kelly could be a candidate to be OC at UF for a couple years further padding his resume' in hopes of landing a head coaching gig if he so chooses.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 11, 2008, 05:28:03 PM

Hearing potential roadblock to Strong leaving (outside O'Leary actually getting canned) might be finances, as UCF may not be able to match up.� Potential replacements for Mullen might be Addazio/Gonzalez within, or dark horse Chip Kelly from OR outside.�

Kelly isnt going anywhere. Hes taking over for Bellotti within 2 years. MSU tried interviewing him after he was named to replace and turned it down.He would have taken the Syracuse job over UCF anyways

You misread what I said.

Not Kelly to UCF, Kelly to UF to take over as OC for Mullen.

Not inconceivable......would he be better off staying at Oregon and taking over there in a couple years, or coming to UF, potentially coaching Tebow one year, host of other talented players in the biggest stage, then taking a premiere job?

It's darkhorse no doubt, but if Urban and UF came calling I bet Kelly would listen.....

No offense, LFO, but this is the kind of arrogant a subject for debate that has plagued UF fans .... That line of reasoning, darkhorse or not, makes no sense. You're calling Miss State a premiere job?? The OC at UF is NOT a better gig than HC at the vast majority of BCS schools.

First of all, I never said Miss. St. was a premiere job.  It is in fact a crappy job.  They expect so much but reality is they aren't a great school/program.  

Nothing I said was arrogant.  What's a better job OC at Oregon or OC at UF?  If saying UF makes me arrogant, well, then I guess I am.  But I'd think that is just common sense.  All I was saying was if Kelly supposedly got an offer to interview at Miss. St. after being at Oregon, I think he might get a better offer if he came to UF and was OC there for 1-2 years.  I don't think that is unreasonable to believe.  First of all it is a bigger stage in what most believe to be a better conference (whether it is or not is irrelevant, perception is that it is).  Second of all, if he proves he can run 2 different BCS schools offenses at a high level, he is that much more attractive.  If you can take 2 different schools in 2 different conferences and put up great numbers, it's hard for anyone to find any arguments against your coaching.  

No point in going any further if you somehow constructed that I said Miss. St. was premiere.  You'll probably just misconstrue what I said even more....

Arrogant subject for debate plaguing UF fans?  LOL.  It is that kind of ignorant comment that plagues you.  

Hes HC at Oregin by 2010. Hes been named coach in waiting. Bellotti said by 2010 hes done. May be after next year.

And Bobby Bowden was done 5 years ago....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 11, 2008, 05:33:08 PM

To alot of SEC fans... coaching in the pac-10 is like D-1AA. And a OC job in the SEC is so much better then a HC job in the pac-10. Although Oregon has shown that every few years they can make a run into the top 5. But who cares, Kelly would only leave to the Northeast where hes from, and he said he had no interest in the Syracuse job. So it shows hes not planning to move.

Kelly isnt and wont be an OC at Florida. If he is... Ill quit posting here.

Once again, nobody said anything about the OC job at UF being better than the HC job at Oregon.  That is just people who have the inability to read and comprehend jumping to their own conclusions. 

Kelly very well might not end up at UF, and reality is it might be in house who replaces Mullen.  That is why I said "dark horse." Perhaps if I said "favorite" or "I guarantee" or "I won't post here if Kelly is not named the OC at UF" you all might have a point.  But really what I said is the long shot candidate MIGHT be Kelly from Oregon.  A far cry from what some of you make it that I said.

Although I must admit, some of you have a nice way of jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 11, 2008, 06:03:54 PM

If Kelly could run successful offenses at Oregon and at Oregon, his resume would be greater than that of Mullen, who in reality most Gator fans find the most expendable of any coaches.  SOME think the offense performs and Gators win despite Mullen. 

I never claimed that the OC job was better than HC at Oregon. That is you once again putting words in the mouth of another to try and make a point, which in reality was only made to argue.   But FACT is, Kelly is not currently the HC ANYWHERE, and a lot can change in 2 years.  You are only as good as your next game, and I guarantee you that should Oregon lay ducks the next couple years, Mr. Kelly won't be so hot their in Oregon and nothing will be guaranteed.  Ask Jim Haslett about how that guarantee of a HC job worked out for him at STL. 

Every coach is different, and Mullen might have felt it was time for him to go try and be a HC.  Kelly obviously did not.  What is right for one is not always right for another.  I was not being arrogant in any way by suggesting that POSSIBLY Kelly could be a candidate to be OC at UF for a couple years further padding his resume' in hopes of landing a head coaching gig if he so chooses.

well Kelly resume so far has been great. Look where Oregon offense ranks, well replacing two of the best players in the country last year, with a QB who got to Oregon in August then missed half of summer camp with a wrist Injury, with no solid WR. The guy is a top 10 easily OC.

Chip Kelly had interviews lined up with MSU and Syracuse, and Bellotti said more but wouldnt comment who else. In year 3, with who returns on offense he would have a top line BCS school job next year.

Why would he go to Florida? He already puts top 10 offenses now... schools already know what hes doing now.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 11, 2008, 06:31:30 PM

well Kelly resume so far has been great. Look where Oregon offense ranks, well replacing two of the best players in the country last year, with a QB who got to Oregon in August then missed half of summer camp with a wrist Injury, with no solid WR. The guy is a top 10 easily OC.

Chip Kelly had interviews lined up with MSU and Syracuse, and Bellotti said more but wouldnt comment who else. In year 3, with who returns on offense he would have a top line BCS school job next year.

Why would he go to Florida? He already puts top 10 offenses now... schools already know what hes doing now.

For that matter, why would any successful coach go anywhere else?

Why would Spurrier leave UF for Washington?

Why would Rich Rod leave WVU for Michigan?

Sometimes better jobs or challenges pop up and coaches take them. 

Again, I never said Kelly WAS going to UF, I said he could emerge as a dark horse candidate.  Look, I know he is a great coach, obviously, which is why I think he'd be an excellent candidate at UF.  I also know that the Oregon job is a good job...I just don't believe the OC job at Oregon is as good of a job as UF, traditionally speaking.  Which is why I think Rich Rod took the Michigan job, even though he was successful and WVU was successful.....Michigan is just the more prestigious job. 

I will say, I believe Kelly is a better OC than Mullen....which is why it is a bit silly to compare Mullen leaving to Kelly.  Kelly will be able to get a better job than Mullen, even staying at Oregon.  Which is why I think IF Kelly did come and have success at UF, he could get a job almost anywhere he wanted.  I think despite Mullen's success at UF, most view it as Urban Meyer and not Mullen who is the reason for that success.  I don't think people view Kelly as just successful because of Bellotti.....

If a guy is successful at more than one program, especially big time programs, obviously that makes him more attractive than just being in one place.  I think at that point it removes any doubt anyone might have about system, conference, competition, etc. 

It's amazing how a comment about a guy perhaps being a dark horse/long shot candidate at a program has created such a stir.  You'd think I had said that Kelly was 100% without a doubt leaving to go to UF.  I guess some would like to create an argument or story over just about anything.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 11, 2008, 07:05:45 PM

Again, I never said Kelly WAS going to UF, I said he could emerge as a dark horse candidate.  Look, I know he is a great coach, obviously, which is why I think he'd be an excellent candidate at UF.  I also know that the Oregon job is a good job...I just don't believe the OC job at Oregon is as good of a job as UF, traditionally speaking.  Which is why I think Rich Rod took the Michigan job, even though he was successful and WVU was successful.....Michigan is just the more prestigious job. 

I will say, I believe Kelly is a better OC than Mullen....which is why it is a bit silly to compare Mullen leaving to Kelly.  Kelly will be able to get a better job than Mullen, even staying at Oregon.  Which is why I think IF Kelly did come and have success at UF, he could get a job almost anywhere he wanted.  I think despite Mullen's success at UF, most view it as Urban Meyer and not Mullen who is the reason for that success.  I don't think people view Kelly as just successful because of Bellotti.....

If a guy is successful at more than one program, especially big time programs, obviously that makes him more attractive than just being in one place.  I think at that point it removes any doubt anyone might have about system, conference, competition, etc. 

It's amazing how a comment about a guy perhaps being a dark horse/long shot candidate at a program has created such a stir.  You'd think I had said that Kelly was 100% without a doubt leaving to go to UF.  I guess some would like to create an argument or story over just about anything.

No reason to believe hes even a dark horse. Hes not.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 11, 2008, 07:13:45 PM

Ok you win.

Now will you just shut up?

Jesus man, you need to get a grip...nobody stole your blanket.

His name will come up, and he might listen, he might say no, they may never call him.  I guess from now on anytime I speculate on anything, I'll make sure to get your expert opinion since you already know it all.

Now please, tell me the LOTTO numbers for Saturday.....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 11, 2008, 07:25:48 PM

Ok you win.

Now will you just shut up?

Jesus man, you need to get a grip...nobody stole your blanket.

His name will come up, and he might listen, he might say no, they may never call him.  I guess from now on anytime I speculate on anything, I'll make sure to get your expert opinion since you already know it all.

Now please, tell me the LOTTO numbers for Saturday.....

just read prior post. Or back it up with an article. He was named as a coach in waiting which was posted on this board. If you have an article stating he is, fine. But I havent seen it and reading around here hes turned down interviews. So no reason to believe he would be interested.

He may listen to schools, but he hasnt. And if Bellotti thinks a team will get him he will step down as coach.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 11, 2008, 07:39:23 PM

You need to look up what "I think" means.

I am well aware of his standing at Oregon.  I never said it was going to happen.  I just said I think he will be considered, even if only from UF's sign.  Whether he listens or actually is I don't know. 

I guess If I had known you were going to fight me like I stole you little blanky I would have never even mentioned it.  Is is amazing how much you want to argue over a harmless comment about who I THINK might be a candidate to replace Mullen. 

I think you need to calm down, quit acting like someone stole something from you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 11, 2008, 07:41:26 PM

This argument reminds me of a similar argument I was reading on the Cove about Hanley Ramirez...and LFO has switched roles....;)

LFO

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 11, 2008, 07:48:01 PM

This argument reminds me of a similar argument I was reading on the Cove about Hanley Ramirez...and LFO has switched roles....;)

Difference is, I never claimed it as FACT that something happened.

Here, I simply speculated who I thought might replace Mullen.  I never once claimed that I had any information, links, etc. that Kelly was a candidate. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 11, 2008, 07:53:53 PM

Looks like O'Leary is going to stay at UCF, so don't have to worry about Strong going there.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/12/hitt-announces.html

I would say he might be a candidate at ECU, but some might get their panties in a wad.....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools