Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

LFO

Hall of Famer

#90 : December 29, 2008, 04:18:11 PM

Ok, after seeing how the BUCS did when Kiffin said he was leaving, I am a bit more concerned about Mullen/UF vs. Oklahoma.� I guess, my only hope is since UF and Urban seem to employ a committee type approach to game planning/play calling that we will be ok, but again I am just a little concerned......

Do you honestly think that kiffin leaving had anything to do with the collapse?

Yes.

That wouldn't say much for the maturity level of our defensive players ..... If anything, Monte leaving should have inspired them to play even harder to make sure he went out on a high note.

Well, even Monte has questioned his timing. 

SR also posted something to the tune of, they didn't necessarily quit but perhaps subconsciously they were down about it.

When Kiffin decided to leave and announced that, he essentially told the players that he would rather coach Tennessee Volunteers than Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2009. Whether players understood that he was doing it for his son or not, that's the reality of the situation. By him wanting to leave Tampa Bay, he's choosing the Vols over the Bucs and that likely stung a bit and likely caused some to lose some focus. Guys won't likely admit it now, because of a pride factor, or maybe they don't even recognize it right now.

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=33723.from1230585264#new

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#91 : December 29, 2008, 05:10:16 PM

Ok, after seeing how the BUCS did when Kiffin said he was leaving, I am a bit more concerned about Mullen/UF vs. Oklahoma.� I guess, my only hope is since UF and Urban seem to employ a committee type approach to game planning/play calling that we will be ok, but again I am just a little concerned......

Yes.

That wouldn't say much for the maturity level of our defensive players ..... If anything, Monte leaving should have inspired them to play even harder to make sure he went out on a high note.

not necessarily if they felt like monte was quitting on them

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#92 : December 29, 2008, 05:54:09 PM

Yes.

not necessarily if they felt like monte was quitting on them

That would be right in line with my maturity assessment .... there's no way, IMO, they should hold anything against Monte for doing what he's doing and I'd be amazed if they did.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#93 : December 29, 2008, 06:03:18 PM

I think that is an opinion and some would not feel that way and that's not because of maturity, but perspective.  Especially when this was going on during a playoff run. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#94 : December 29, 2008, 06:44:55 PM

If the defense's play dropped off because they were sulking due to Monte leaving them (and there's no other way to really put that),  to go fulfill a dream to coach with his son, we are in deeper shít than I ever realized.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#95 : December 29, 2008, 07:37:29 PM

there's more to it than that, but yuo're entitled to your opinion

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#96 : December 29, 2008, 07:40:45 PM

there's more to it than that,

Link?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#97 : December 30, 2008, 10:54:55 AM

i think its obvious that monte's leaving had an effect on the team...but i think in no way did monte quit on the team.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#98 : December 30, 2008, 11:52:10 AM

i think its obvious that monte's leaving had an effect on the team...but i think in no way did monte quit on the team.

I agree with this statement, but some of the players may feel differently and especially with the timing.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#99 : December 30, 2008, 12:00:17 PM

there's more to it than that,

Link?

there isn't one ... the point is that there's more to it than "sulking" or "not sulking" ... this is an emotional game in which the players train their butts off year 'round to have a shot at the championship.  After 12 weeks of pretty vicious hitting, these guys are in the training rooms probably nearly as much as the film rooms.  This defense wasn't the monsters of the midway, they were doing pretty well, but let's not get carried away.  So when in the final quarter of the season they find out that their leader is going elsewhere and it becomes a fairly significant topic of discussion, it's not unbelievable that guys will question the motives of both leaving and not waiting until after the season to discuss it.  I doubt too many of these guys care about Monte's personal goal to coach with his son.  It's not hard to believe that discussing this move takes up time in the locker room, in the film rooms, weight rooms, and on the practice field.  It was a story all of its own.  A little distraction from preparation, a little emotional let down, etc, etc. and the defense doesn't perform as well as it has most of the season.

I'm not blaming Monte, Lane or anyone ... but it's not impossible to understand that it could happen.  You personally may have said "whatever I don't care", but in hindsight its not surprising that it became the distraction that it appears to have become.  Couple that distraction with injuries and walla .. you have major melt down.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#100 : December 30, 2008, 12:23:02 PM

I blame Lane .... 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#101 : January 03, 2009, 04:07:07 PM

Gators found a replacement?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3807812

LFO

Hall of Famer

#102 : January 03, 2009, 04:24:22 PM

Gators found a replacement?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3807812

Yeah, I had said a few days ago we were going to hire a QB coach from the NFL.  I hear it will be either him or the QB coach at Minn but he can't come in yet because they are still playing.  Loeffler actually coached Brady and Griese at Michigan, and recruited Tebow when he was there and supposedly Tebow really liked him.  He was at practice before UF left for Miami, spent a lot of time there talking with Tim....might be a good sign for him staying. 

Here's his bio from Michigan:

http://www.mgoblue.com/football/coachbio.aspx?id=42320

LFO

Hall of Famer

#103 : January 03, 2009, 05:10:37 PM

This is confirmed now:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/confirmed_loeffler_new_qb_coach/5330
Gator Country has confirmed an exclusive report by ESPN's Joe Schad that Scot Loeffler will be named the quarterbacks coach of the Florida Gators. Loeffler, most recently the quarterbacks coach of the Detroit Lions and before that, Chad Henne's coach at Michigan, will be officially announced by the University of Florida once he completes all the necessary paperwork.

Loeffler served as Michigan’s quarterback coach from 2002-2007 where he is credited with helping to develop Henne into one of the best college quarterbacks in the country. Henne set Michigan career records for passing yards (9,715), touchdowns (87), completions (828) and attempts (1,387). During his time on the Michigan staff, Wolverine quarterbacks threw 142 touchdown passes and only 44 interceptions.

Loeffler is a former Michigan quarterback whose playing career was cut short by injury. Following his playing days, he worked as a student assistant then as a graduate assistant at Michigan. It was at Michigan that Loeffler first became acquainted with current Florida cornerbacks coach Vance Bedford, who was the position coach for Charles Woodson in 1997 when he won the Heisman Trophy while leading Michigan to the national championship. As a graduate assistant working with quarterbacks at Michigan, Loeffler worked with Tom Brady, who has led the New England Patriots to three Super Bowl championships.

After grad school at Michigan, Loeffler worked two years as the quarterbacks coach at Central Michigan before returning to Ann Arbor. Loeffler was on the Michigan staff along with Bedford last January 1 when the Wolverines beat the Gators in the Capital One Bowl, which was the final game in Lloyd Carr’s coaching career. While Bedford moved on to the Florida staff last spring, Loeffler took a job in the NFL with the Detroit Lions.

While at Michigan, Loeffler developed a reputation as a solid recruiter. He has a previous relationship with both Tim Tebow and John Brantley, both of whom gave Michigan strong consideration before they signed with Florida.

In addition to Loeffler, the Gators also strongly considered Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers. There are reports that Loeffler was also interviewed by Alabama, Tennessee and UCLA.

Loeffler has attended at least a couple of Florida’s recent practices.  Sources tell Gator Country that he is a good fit with both the staff and with Tebow and Brantley.

Nice hire IMO. 
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Miss. State hires Mullen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools