Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's New Big Board Top 5 « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #105 : January 09, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »

Great post. GruAllen don't draft for need.

I thought last year's draft proved the opposite. All offense on the first day, with 2 OL.

Touche!

The guys we drafted weren't at the top of the Bucs board. It was Manny Lawson DE in the 1st and Richard Marshall CB in the 2nd. They were drafted right in front of us, so the Bucs drafted the BPA.

I seriously doubt Joseph was the BPA left on the board, but he certainly was the BPA at a position where we had a critical need...

shall555

Starter

« #106 : January 09, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

Great post. GruAllen don't draft for need.

I thought last year's draft proved the opposite. All offense on the first day, with 2 OL.

Touche!

The guys we drafted weren't at the top of the Bucs board. It was Manny Lawson DE in the 1st and Richard Marshall CB in the 2nd. They were drafted right in front of us, so the Bucs drafted the BPA.

I seriously doubt Joseph was the BPA left on the board, but he certainly was the BPA at a position where we had a critical need...

True, but you never know with GruAllen's board. Maybe he was the BPA by the Bucs standards, especially the way Kromer was begging for Joseph for 2 years. We'll never know. Allen has publicly stated that they don't draft for 'need'. You get yourself into trouble doing so. They draft based on BPA and if it happens to fill a need, they'll take him. Lawson and Marshall were the best athletes available, especially Lawson with his 4.4 speed, so BPA is how they slot their board. If DE was a 'need' position, they would've reached on players like Kiwanuka and Tapp to fill their 'need'.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #107 : January 09, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »

The question you have to ask is how much of a fall off  between CJ and a second round WR and Thomas and a second round LT?

shall555

Starter

« #108 : January 09, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »

Thomas will have an advantage due to being coached by Gruden in the Senior Bowl.  It could be a plus or a minus. Maybe some other OL could catch Gruden's eye in the 2nd like Ryan Harris, Ugoh, or Joe Staley. We'll see what happens. It's too early to tell. I just think Gruden will be gunshy about taking OL 1st and 2nd in 2006 and 1st in 2007.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #109 : January 09, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »

None of them had a top 5 WR either.

Johson was a #1 pick

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #110 : January 10, 2007, 08:23:56 AM »

In the first 4 picks we need LT, C, DE, DT. Then we need FB, CB, S, LB.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #111 : January 10, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »

The question you have to ask is how much of a fall off  between CJ and a second round WR and Thomas and a second round LT?

Calvin John if he's a good as Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison, and that'd be a helluva thing, would be about 1300 yards of offense per year. It is hard to find another WR to do that but 1100 yards? Not so hard. That can be managed.

The drop off between Joe Thomas and Anthony Davis is huge, and none of the R2 LOT prospects looks to be all that good. You calculate lost yards on sacks, mistakes made due to pressure, lost yards in the run game and the lost productivity of the TE's because they are playing helper all game. In fact, you can make a fair case that the extra 200 yards missing between not Calvin WR and Calvin can be rather easily made up in increase rushing putput from Caddy and from alex Smith not having to play Lil' Tackle all game long.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #112 : January 10, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »

....You calculate lost yards on sacks, mistakes made due to pressure, lost yards in the run game and the lost productivity of the TE's because they are playing helper all game....

All things being equal, I'd prefer our yardage is limited by virtue of the defense giving the offense shorter fields to work with.

But that's an entirely different can'o worms itn'it?

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #113 : January 10, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »

Personally other than Thomas and I am not even sure about him I see nothing to get excited about with any of those 5 choices.  Given those I think I might opt for more lower choices.  Of course after the Senior bowl and combines perhaps my opinion will change.

I think both Quinn and Russell are terribly over rated at this conjecture.  Calvin Johnson continues to look like a project from my views of him.  In fact I would give him up in a heartbeat for Randy Moss  in trade with the Raiders.   As to Anderson???  Think there are better DL's than that out there.  Heck I would consider trading down and getting a Gator DL and Lawrence Timmons as two lower first rounders!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #114 : January 10, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

Runole, you are the first and sole person from whom I have heard anything like that. 

From what I have seen:
Thomas walks in and starts
Johnson walks in and starts (and screw Moss and his I'll play when I want to)
Quinn was described as the best qb Weiss has coached, some hyperbole expected, but the kid had nothing to work with and did pretty damn well.  He looks NFL to me in a year or so.
D Russell is giving folks nightmares already. 
I don't know anything first hand about Anderson.  But we disagree on the others for certain.

Nobody gonna trade down here.  The top 4 are elite.   

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

shall555

Starter

« #115 : January 10, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »

It's one of the best drafts to come along in awhile, and I'm grateful that we're in the sweepstakes. The Top 5 this year is probably a notch below last year's but it's pretty damn good, nonetheless. Better than 2005, that's for sure. I'll be satisfied with any choice that is made. At worst, the player will be solid.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #116 : January 11, 2007, 06:55:07 AM »

I think the first four choices are critical to the success of this team for years to come. Kinda like Brooks, Sapp & Lynch when they were drafted. Solidify the O-line with LT-Thomas and a stud center, then a stud De & Dt. The future and both lines are set.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #117 : January 11, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »

I think the first four choices are critical to the success of this team for years to come. Kinda like Brooks, Sapp & Lynch when they were drafted. Solidify the O-line with LT-Thomas and a stud center, then a stud De & Dt. The future and both lines are set.

It would be nice to get a good center, but if we go offense in the 1st we need to draft defense from then on.
  Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's New Big Board Top 5 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools