Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wrongfully convicted man released from prison after 6 years « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: December 13, 2008, 01:55:44 PM

He was convicted of sexual abuse on an 8 year old boy in 2002. He maintained his innocence and said the real criminal is still at-large hurting children. Friday DNA evidence proved he did NOT commit the crime.

The only evidence the jury heard was testimony from the 8-year old victim and his friend. The police took DNA evidence but never processed it until 6 years later when it was finally ordered by a judge.

The mistake was costly. Attacks on at least 3 other children were reported in the same neighborhood even after the conviction.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6159775.html

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 13, 2008, 02:05:38 PM

they will always listen to the kids....

Why couldnt they show the DNA in court?

So they convicted him based on what an 8 year old said?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 13, 2008, 02:15:41 PM

The article doesnt say whether the jury knew about the DNA.

But this is also Houston. That city has the highest wrongful conviction rate in the nation. Police and the court system there have made countless errors. Over a dozen people convicted of serious crimes including rape and murder have been released just the last few years because DNA evidence proved they were innocent.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#3 : December 13, 2008, 02:24:45 PM

Courts don't like to examine DNA evidence after they have already convicted someone either. The system looks really bad when these types of things come out. Thankfully they got it right in this case in the end. I hope that guy gets compensated for his 6 years.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#4 : December 13, 2008, 02:36:42 PM

they will always listen to the kids....

Why couldnt they show the DNA in court?

So they convicted him based on what an 8 year old said?

Also, maybe you should read the article. It's not that long.

They never processed the DNA 6 years ago. Without it being processed they obviously couldn't admit it in court. They had it but for some reason the defense attorney was unaware of its availability. It was probably not processed because he/she didn't know about it and didn't push for it to be processed against his client's. Here's your argument for defense attorneys; their job is to make sure the state doesn't get sloppy and upholds their burden of proof. If they aren't there to provide adequate representation anybody could go to jail for anything. This case may stink of foul play too. The state may have made it difficult for him to know the DNA was available. Unfortunately I don't know the process on that and whose burden it is to provide knowledge of that evidence.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 13, 2008, 02:48:06 PM

Courts don't like to examine DNA evidence after they have already convicted someone either. The system looks really bad when these types of things come out. Thankfully they got it right in this case in the end. I hope that guy gets compensated for his 6 years.
Thats true.

The guy will get compenstated nicely

kmitchell

Starter

#6 : December 13, 2008, 02:52:28 PM

Poor guy probably had a terrible time in prison. Child molesters get it the worse.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 13, 2008, 03:07:04 PM

There is no amount of compensation that could make up for 6 years of my life taken from me.  None.

Not to mention, the 6 years THIS guy lost were probably horrific, as he was convicted of a sex crime on a child, which my understanding is not taken lightly in prisons. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 13, 2008, 04:46:16 PM

Poor guy probably had a terrible time in prison. Child molesters get it the worse.

Molestors do deserve a **CENSORED**ty time in prison

LFO

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 13, 2008, 05:00:01 PM

They do.

But this guy was innocent apparently, so I am sure he got what he didn't deserve....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 13, 2008, 05:08:51 PM

They do.

But this guy was innocent apparently, so I am sure he got what he didn't deserve....

I know but hes probably 1 of 5,000...

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#11 : December 13, 2008, 06:39:52 PM

I think the article said he will get $300,000 in compensation, or that is what they are seeking once he is cleared. I'm not sure that's really in the ballpark of what I was hoping/thinking he would get. A jury would be darn sympathetic towards him after he served time in prison and God knows what happened there as you all mentioned.

No amount of money can really compensate him, we just have to try our best. That's the way the system works, flawed or not. I don't really know too many better ideas.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 13, 2008, 06:49:34 PM

300K sounds low. I thought a couple million...

kmitchell

Starter

#13 : December 13, 2008, 07:17:01 PM

Hopefully Bubba gives him an apology.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 13, 2008, 09:00:06 PM

Anyone who has committed any type of crime involving violence deserves a **CENSORED**ty time in prison.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wrongfully convicted man released from prison after 6 years « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools