Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Turning the page to 2009 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 15, 2008, 04:19:04 PM

This offense is unforgiving to the QB. Maybe we need a more forgiving offense...

Buc31

Starter

#16 : December 15, 2008, 04:20:46 PM

We all know about to the risks when drafting a qb.......its time to take that risk then play with trash

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 15, 2008, 04:23:04 PM

DTG - I dont see that happening under Gruden.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 15, 2008, 04:25:31 PM

Gruden's offense is heavily, HEAVILY, dependant on the QB and the TE positions. And this has been well-known since his Oakland days. Without Gannon, the whole system would break down. That's why he relies on veteran QBs.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 15, 2008, 04:26:25 PM

This offense is unforgiving to the QB. Maybe we need a more forgiving offense...

I don't see an offense that complicated. What I do see is WR's running wide open while the QB consistently checks to a RB.

The int yesterday, Clayton was wide open on a deep crossing route that would have scored easily. Those are plays that consistently miss, it's insane.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 15, 2008, 04:34:54 PM

It was Bryant that was open, Clayton was the intended receiver.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 15, 2008, 04:36:45 PM

Bryant was open heading towards the end zone on the play where Griese threw an INT.

And to say we should try to lose 13 games next season is straight stupid. Not every rookie QB can come in and be Ryan or Flacco.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 15, 2008, 04:46:46 PM

It was Bryant that was open, Clayton was the intended receiver.

my bad

it's still yet another good play call that get shat on by the QB. That's a game-changing play, a stab in the heart long TD play if the QB simply makes the read. He had plenty of time for the route as well

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 15, 2008, 04:52:10 PM

I agree, but there is no way Griese could have got that ball to Bryant deep yesterday.  One of the main reasons McCown should have played.  It was obvious after Griese's first crow-hop pass that went 25 yards that Bryant had to come back to catch it.

gdavis

Starter

#24 : December 15, 2008, 04:52:32 PM

Drafting a franchise QB is overrated.  

Those PlayStation All-Americans up there thinking they know football because they watched a game on TV.
--B. Bowden

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 15, 2008, 04:58:18 PM

One of the main reasons McCown should have played. It was obvious after Griese's first crow-hop pass that went 25 yards that Bryant had to come back to catch it.

I agree 100% and with the poor secondary of the Falcons I'm suprised Gruden gave the nod to SoB. Luke would have hit that pass or at least had the arm strenght to do ti

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#26 : December 15, 2008, 05:03:33 PM

.... the constant band aide that is placed on the quarterback position within a scheme that is solely driven by the play at quarterback ....

I don't think that the scheme is what is responsible for the offense being solely driven by the QB. The problem is that the running game has not been a reliable tool since the first three games of 2005. Show me a team that can't run the ball consistently and I'll show you an offense that is dependent on the QB, regardless of scheme.

Plenty of teams have QB's that make plays when the game is on their shoulders and often make the big plays that are the difference between winning and losing.

As far as the offense being "unforgiving to the QB", I don't understand that notion. I see us running many similar looking plays to other teams. I don't see much radicalism in our play design. In what way is it any more "unforgiving" than other schemes? If you are talking about learning it in the first place, that may be one thing. But it doesn't explain why it looks so miserable with old hands like Garcia and Griese running it. I think it goes back to not being able to turn around and hand the ball off and believe that that will win you ballgames.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#27 : December 15, 2008, 05:21:00 PM

Franchise QB would be great, however I don't think there is one in this up coming draft. Maybe Bradford, but if he comes out he will end up being the 1st overall pick IMO.

I don't think we are in as bad a position for next year as many others think. There are quite a few good veteran QB's available this coming up offseason, and I truly think there are a few that could be available that could flourish here for us. Hell there are going to be some that could possibly end up being very big aquisitions for us.

The list:
Marc Bulger
Matt Hassellbeck
Donovan McNabb
Jon Kitna
Matt Cassell
Derek Anderson
Shaun Hill
Matt Schaub
Alex Smith
Vince Young

Now, I don't think all of those players will be available, however, all of them have some possibilty of being available.  I also don't think all of them would be good pickups... see Vince Young... however all of them could end up being options. Out of that list my favorites are:

Marc Bulger: Pro Bowl type QB when he has a decent team around him. You add him, keep Antonio and add another good WR and you could actually end up with a good passing game. Also, if he is protected... watch out.

Matt Schuab: I think Houston may become impatient with Schuab and try to dump him and add a QB in the draft. Should they do this, I think he would be a great pick up. At 27 his best days are ahead of him, and if he finds a comfort zone, and actually gets some protection I think you could see the coming of another pro bowl QB.

Matt Hasselbeck: With the new coach coming in, a new QB may be taking over too. Hasselbeck will be 34 next year, and that isn't too bad. He also is a QB in need of some protection and a new surrounding. A change of scenery will get him back on track.

McNabb: If he is traded he will be the most expensive to aquire... he also may be the best available.

Matt Cassell: Will end up overpaid. Maybe we will get lucky and Houston will get him and give us Schuab cheap :)

The others on that list have their positives and negatives. I like a lot of their good qualities, however they all need work. A lot of work. A new QB is just what this offense needs, I think this will be the offseason to get him.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 15, 2008, 06:37:51 PM

Im not giving up on this season......

I don't see any reason to

Seriously we are going to bicker about this crap for months as we do every offseason why start now when the Buccaneers have a winning record and control their own destiny as far as the playoffs are concerned?

Don't be so melodramatic.

If we drop a game to Oakland or San Diego then I will join in the death parade
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Turning the page to 2009 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools