Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown Quote from St. Pete's Times... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #15 : December 15, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

Gruden said in his press conference that Griese was cleared to play ten days ago.  Nothing should have been a surprise. 

if griese was cleared to play 10 days ago, why wasnt he getting the reps in practice?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #16 : December 15, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

I cannot defend Gruden on this one. We had a QB out there who looked like his arm was weaker than normal and
who had absolutely no mobility. From what I have seen of Luke in the few games he has played with us, I cannot
imagine our offense being any more inept than yesterday if Luke had started instead. If I'm Luke, I do not come
back here next year.

And no, I'm not saying Luke is a great QB. But does anybody really think he would have done worse than statue
Griese?

And supposedly, Griese and Luke split reps in practice this week. I thought I read that somewhere on this board.
Is that what Gruden said in the press conference afterwards?

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

« #17 : December 15, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

Why did Brian Griese start ahead of Luke McCown? Why didn’t McCown play at all? Reports earlier in the week had McCown taking most of the first-team snaps in practice while Garcia nursed a bad calf muscle. But Griese, who hadn’t played in weeks—supposedly because of a bad elbow—went the distance despite leading just one sustained drive in the entire game. And McCown couldn’t have been any less mobile than Griese against the Atlanta rush, could he? (Griese did complete just about the quietest 26-of-37 passes for 269 yards possible.)

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/bucs-take-falcons-to-ot-before-falling-why/

k_bassuka

Starter

« #18 : December 15, 2008, 09:10:47 AM »

or maybe it should be ..whats wrong with Luke.

Luke as been the #2 all season, and was given the majority of reps last week...that is what makes this so strange.  What botheres me about Gruden right now isn't so much starting Griese over McCown, but how he went about it. He should have been straightforward with his QBs.

Luke has been #2 due to injuries to Garcia and SOB not because of talent. He took most of the snaps this week and was awful and that’s why he got benched, when you take a long time to decide where are you going to throw the ball in practice you shouldn't be expecting to start no one told him he was the starter so I don't know why he was thinking that, and after the first day of practice Gruden should've gave the reps to JJ instead.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #19 : December 15, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »

McCown blindsided by Gruden's decision

The Bucs arrived at the Georgia Dome hoping QB Jeff Garcia could shake off his calf injury and play. When that wasn't the case, backup Luke McCown expected to get the call. Surprisingly, that call went to Brian Griese. No one was more shocked than McCown. "From what I understood, I was going to play, and just before the game, (coach Jon Gruden) went with Brian. I guess he felt like … I don't know. I don't want to speak for anybody. But that's how it happened." McCown, who took the majority of snaps with the starting offense last week, added, "I love playing for this team, and I was ready to play. I had a great week of practice. Again, it's the same story since last year. I'll do whatever I have to do to help this team. That was the route he wanted to go, so what are you going to do?"

Well nice knowing you Luke.

BB.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #20 : December 15, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »

He took most of the snaps this week and was awful and that's why he got benched, when you take a long time to decide where are you going to throw the ball in practice you shouldn't be expecting to start no one told him he was the starter so I don't know why he was thinking that, and after the first day of practice Gruden should've gave the reps to JJ instead.

You have a link for that or do you play for the Bucs and saw that in practice?

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

« #21 : December 15, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »

I feel bad for this kid. Alot of people here hate this guy or don't like him for whatever reason. I know he makes mistakes but those can get corrected. The guy fits for Grudens offense he's tall mobile/accurate/good arm and he's young. What does it take to become the starting QB for Tampa? Maybe Bradshaw was right, he wouldn't want to play for gruden since he shows no loyalty not even to his QB. I'm not trying to talk trash about Gruden but it's true his inconsistency at the QB position falls heavily on him for not developing or getting 1 for long term. I hate the fact that we went with an injured Brian Griese and he made all the mistakes people accuse Mccown of doing. You guys can go ahead and judge Mccown play if he has 1 full season under his belt. But we'll never find out what he is made of because of stupid decisions to go with garbage.

for the first time to me it looked like JG could go into next year with Griese as the starting QB... :(

I don't think even he is that dumb.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

« #22 : December 15, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »

Joe, can't we make that assumption from yesterday's events? If McCown had anything we would have played him.

The sad part is that a LOT of folks on this board are clueless. And refuse to admit it.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

techstar25

Starter

« #23 : December 15, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »

Ten freakin' points.
Luke certainly wouldn't have done any worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

« #24 : December 15, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »

Link?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #25 : December 15, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »

id love to see that link as well.  there must be a disconnect between coach and player as well since mccown thought he had a great week of practice.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

« #26 : December 15, 2008, 09:22:40 AM »

We did not win the game and there was terrible QB play yesterday. Especially the INT that he threw when he tried to fit it in to Clayton who was doubled. Bryant was singled and had his man beat on a post. He had plenty of time to throw so that's not an excuse. That did it for me...Luke can't be that bad.

When are we going to take our lumps and grow with a young QB like EVERYONE ELSE is doing. Atlanta is up to par with us at this moment because of a new coach and a rookie QB...sad!

DavyJonesLocker

Starter

« #27 : December 15, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »

Joe, can't we make that assumption from yesterday's events? If McCown had anything we would have played him.

The sad part is that a LOT of folks on this board are clueless. And refuse to admit it.
No you can't make that assumption. Gruden has given many intelligent fans proof over the last 7 years that he does not always make the right decisions with personnel. I apologize if your unclear vision of the workings of a football team haven't afforded the opportunity to see it clearly. The examples are there, go find them.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #28 : December 15, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

you want to assume AND call people clueless?  and why isnt the headcoach, OC, and QB coach telling mccown he DID NOT have a great week of practice, if indeed he did not.  and if he DID NOT have a good week of practice, why wasnt griese getting more reps?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #29 : December 15, 2008, 09:24:17 AM »

Ten freakin' points.
Luke certainly wouldn't have done any worse.

lets also note the the Offense was only responsible for 7 of those 10 points.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown Quote from St. Pete's Times... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools