Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My Thoughts... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

: December 15, 2008, 12:21:36 PM

Self-inflicted Wounds

Usually I spend my football Sunday’s in my small apartment in South Saint Petersburg with the blinds shut, a sink full of breakfast dishes, and dressed in some sort of Red, Pewter, and Black combination.  I do that because quite frankly, I’m a nut!  I holler, yell, and curse.  I flip off the uneducated announcers and pre, half-time, and post game hosts. I even have a yellow penalty flag that I can throw in anger without putting a hole in my flat screen.

This week I was fortunate to hang out with a few of my favorite posters “Hate” da Eagles, Ruud Awakening, Uncle Stan, and Aunt Evie (doesn’t post often, but reads the board).  I’ve talked football with these guys collectively and individually many times but watching a game was a different experience.

It’s not difficult to see how people can watch the same event and come away with several different interpretations of the outcome.
The one thing I think we all agreed upon was the constant “critical” errors.  I’m a huge proponent of our current offensive line.  I think they are all smart.  I think they are all tough.  I like the way they protect their teammates.  Most of all I like their “growing” continuity within the group.  What I don’t like is the lack of concentration.  The lack of focus in the Red Zone is a huge problem as we all saw by the many false starts in that situation. 

Still looking for the fall guy(s)

For two consecutive weeks our defense has allowed a runner (last week two of them) to reach the century mark and higher to the tune of a buck fitty.  That’s unheard of. The offense put up ten measly points in the A-T-L.  And our return special teamers act as though they’ve never heard, “If you see the guy’s name, don’t hit him!!!!” That’s all three phases of the game.  Not just the offense and/or defense. Yet most have their scapegoats singing “Baaaaa” early and often Sunday night and Monday morning.  The number one culprit would be Brian Griese. Cons: He had one pick (one dropped by DB) and at least two sacks he could have avoided. Number 2 would be the offensive line. Cons: Had 4 sacks added to their record and numerous drive killing penalties.  Next would be the defense. Cons: Gave up another 150 yards to a rusher and had little pressure and no sacks. How about the offense: Cons: Lackluster running game, 10 points, and no sustained offense unless we run the 2 minute drill. Lastly, but not least, we have special teams.  Cons: Not one clean return without penalty which in turn resulted in horrible field position ALL DAY!!! Sorry, did I forget the coaches? Cons: Hmmm, I guess you can pin the decision to start Griese vs. McCown as stupid as we all know Luke would have won it for us…we can certainly make that assumption. Throw in some bootay play calling couple with some even worse execution and we have goats-a-plenty!

So at the end of the day which is more egregious than the other?  Which part of the team can we place this loss on? This couldn’t be a team effort.  It never is whether we win or lose.  There’s always one phase of this team that either contributes mightily and other(s) well they just plain suck.

Blowing it all away

So after roughly 10 years (give or take a few) of being able to really compete in the NFL, after reaching the pinnacle of the games success, after gaining the respect of the league, players and fans some seem to think the remedy for this teams inconsistency is to start over.  Could there be a better time? The Godfather of the Cover II is going to Rocky Top.  There’s no way we’ll be able to attract a suitable replacement.  Along with that revelation comes the reality that some of the stalwarts on defense are showing their ages and contemplating (or should) their retirements. With Monte gone, why would they stay? Offensively you have the human INT machine and a kid that needs to spend the summer at Big Mama’s house eating under contract to play QB, an aging scat back with no upside, and a Cadillac that you’re driving timidly cuz you just got it outta the shop.  You got a WR with PHENOM or BUST flashing across his forehead unsigned and a guy who hasn’t proven anything since he was a rookie unsigned as well.  Let’s not forget our 5 man investment up front gauging like the 4th quarter 2008 retail numbers.

With all of that staring the Glazers in the face, plus two division losses on the road why not make a change? Those guys up front will never mature.  Antonio Bryant is sure to sign elsewhere because JJ will be named the starter this summer (while at Big Mama’s bulking up on black-eyed peas and cornbread) and Bruce is going to low ball him anyway. No one will replace Brooks, Barber, and Carter.  But, if they could, whomever we pick as DC is going to be < and nowhere near = Monte Kiffin.

So yeah, let’s blow it up and start over.  We might get lucky and get us a retread like Cowher and be contenders as soon as he steps to the podium.  I mean as long as we get rid of the “Jiminy Christmas” guy we should be fine.  Right?  At the end of the day he’s the evil that keeps this team from succeeding, right? It’s his huge ego that gets in the way.  It’s the way he treats players that is soooo bad. It’s his huge playbook that these, college educated, men can’t learn.  Right?  If I’m wrong somebody tell me. It’s his play calling and not the execution thereof that’s killing drives, blocking people in the back, and missing tackles.  Right?  Tony was kicked to the curb for less! Look at Mike Tomlin, we could find a guy that good, can’t we? Let’s do the same here and start over. We won’t toil for more than about ohhhhh_____years…

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 15, 2008, 12:30:13 PM

Me personally no...but I thought why not give the reasonings for it some credence, does it make sense to you?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : December 15, 2008, 12:58:30 PM

(while at Big Mama’s bulking up on black-eyed peas and cornbread)

don't forget the colligreens ;)

good read chev, i can't argue with any of that, we both saw the same thing. it was fun yesterday, thanks for good times Chev, Hate, Evie & Stan, it was a pleasure

fishman

Starter

#3 : December 15, 2008, 01:11:40 PM

I think you summed up most of our feelings pretty well. It feels like this team is at a crossroads. Which way does it go? There is really only one way to find out if you're right and that's to can the man. I'd trade Cowher for Gruden right now. But the question is can we get Cowher? And if it's not him, who?

I think the only good news is they have the flexibility to spend and that allows them to go in a few different directions. There is a core of very good young players on the team so there is that nucleus. But the holes are numerous - many of which you adressed. 

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

enterprise

Rookie
#4 : December 15, 2008, 01:13:12 PM

We have no upside, and that's the killer.  This is who we are.  We play above average, bend but don't break defense and our offense is able to move the ball decently at 4-6 yards a clip.  The problem with that is you will inevitably have a negative play (holding, sack etc.) that scuttles the whole possession.  Gruden can scheme mismatches with his dink and dunk arsenal, but our inability to challenge defenses vertically kills our run game and also makes scoring terribly difficult.  That comes down to not having a QB that can make the throws and not having the skill position players to get separation down the field.  And after 7 years, that's all on the coach, since he picks the players on offense.  His drafting and FA acquit ions have been awful on the offensive side of the ball.  Trueblood is a more unstable version of Jerry Wunsh.  Dexter Jackson, Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, Travis Stephens, Marquis Walker, Charlie Garner, Todd Steussie, Derrick Deese, Chros Colmer, Lance Nimmo, Austin King, Sean Mahan, Dan Beunning, Matt Stinchcomb etc.  The D-line is getting swallowed and gashed.  We have so many holes, that it's difficult to know where to go.  But I think we have to address our offensive challenges if we're ever to move forward.  We've never had a QB that can make the throws that Ryan does - deep square ins, 15 yard square outs (nice coverage by Buchanan) etc.  This thing needs to be retooled if we're to even take the next step.  If that means replacing the coach, I'm to the point where I'd accept that.  

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 15, 2008, 01:39:19 PM

This week I was fortunate to hang out with a few of my favorite posters “Hate” da Eagles, Ruud Awakening, Uncle Stan, and Aunt Evie (doesn’t post often, but reads the board). 

Sorry .... I didn't get the Evite.   

Good post.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 15, 2008, 01:46:04 PM

This week I was fortunate to hang out with a few of my favorite posters “Hate” da Eagles, Ruud Awakening, Uncle Stan, and Aunt Evie (doesn’t post often, but reads the board).

Sorry .... I didn't get the Evite.

Good post.

LOL @ OLAF you're still one of my favs dude...

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 15, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

We had several big plays yesterday honestly...penalties and sacks were a big part of the downfall...

2-14 on 3rd down conversions...most of our sacks and false starts occurred on 3rd down as well...

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 15, 2008, 02:35:32 PM

I just cant stand the offense Gru runs anymore. He cant seem to find the QB to play great in it and hes not changing his philosphy for anyone. He calls it way to conservative IMO and its boring and hell cuz of that.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 15, 2008, 02:51:49 PM

Me personally no...but I thought why not give the reasonings for it some credence, does it make sense to you?

First good post, well thought out.

It does make some sense. I like Gruden but the SoB decision is something that has me wondering where his mentals are at this point. To put a guy in on the road with little to no practice time throughout the past 6 weeks and the week leading up to the game has me bamboozled.

The problem is this team hasn't had a healthy QB last the entire season since 2003-04, that is downright unfair. When that stops I'd bet the mortgage that consistency will follow.

DavyJonesLocker

Starter

#10 : December 15, 2008, 02:54:37 PM

We are the definition of the offense Dungy and Kiffin built their defense around. "Bend don't break, don't give up the big play deep, and sooner or later the offense will make a mistake to hurt themselves, and that's when we capitalize."

How many times back in the late 90's did we hear that from Dungy, Kiffin, Edwards? Who would have known that a half decade later, we would have to toil in misery watching the offense they used to describe their defensive philosophy.

DavyJonesLocker

Starter

#11 : December 15, 2008, 02:56:42 PM

First good post, well thought out.

It does make some sense. I like Gruden but the SoB decision is something that has me wondering where his mentals are at this point. To put a guy in on the road with little to no practice time throughout the past 6 weeks and the week leading up to the game has me bamboozled.

The problem is this team hasn't had a healthy QB last the entire season since 2003-04, that is downright unfair. When that stops I'd bet the mortgage that consistency will follow.

It's not even the little to no practice time. The guy couldn't even throw a ball around with his son in the back yard until 2 weeks ago.

How can you have a QB last the year, when Gruden desires the old retread, beat up, on his way out QB?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 15, 2008, 03:04:32 PM

How can you have a QB last the year, when Gruden desires the old retread, beat up, on his way out QB?

We can go on and on about the QB situation, Gruden is doing the best with what he has to work with.

If Garcia plays yesterday this team wins, hands down. You loath the coach and any and all opinions from you are so tainted that I won't pay attention to them.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 15, 2008, 03:09:27 PM

Sick and tired of the excuses. Its the same old story with this team.  With that said, JG goes IF we dont make the playoffs... to collapse from 9-3 and miss all together is not acceptable IMO.  Thats the only way he goes.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

jandjen

Starter
#14 : December 15, 2008, 03:30:09 PM

Great read Chev.. funny it kinda hits on what I've been thinking since the game.

Have always liked Gruden and his attitude, but I can't stand the offense or the play calling anymore. I hate the West coast offense. And I want a QB that this team can build around, I don't care what it takes to get one, we have to get one.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My Thoughts... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools