Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: about the 2-14 third down conversion percentage... « previous next »
Page: 1

JM2

Pro Bowler

: December 15, 2008, 02:14:14 PM

As I recall, there were two or three second downs that were 1 yard or less to convert. In every case, the bucs lined up in short yardage formation and bulled their way to a two yard gain to get a first down. The lack of attempts to push the ball up field in these situations speaks volumes about Gru's lack of intestinal fortitude these days.

On second down and less then 1, take a shot. If you miss, come back on third down and convert. The only reasons, as I see them, not to take any shots is that either you don't trust your quarterback (not to throw a dumb pick or take a sack,) or you don't trust your running game and think you might need two trys to gain one yard. Either one is rather depressing.

And ok, I can see the argument against taking a shot every time, but it seems even more ridiculous to not take any. And just to tie this back in with the subject of the post, had we failed to connect on the pass plays from second and 1, the resulting third and ones should have been easy conversions, thus improving our third down conversion percentage, albeit not greatly.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 15, 2008, 02:22:28 PM

On second down and less then 1, take a shot. If you miss, come back on third down and convert.

And ok, I can see the argument against taking a shot every time, but it seems even more ridiculous to not take any.

I'll agree with this...it's the same theory that says 1st and goal from the 2, if you're going to throw, throw on 1st down...

2nd and 1 is almost a free play...take a shot sometimes...if you don't get it, come back and get the 1st down and start all over again...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: about the 2-14 third down conversion percentage... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools