Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Filling the Vacancies on the Defensive side « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« : December 16, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »

With the team scheduled to lose Monte Kiffin at season's end, along with the expiring contracts of Raheem Morris and Gus Bradley the continuity that has been a stabilizing force for over a decade is about to be shaken to the core. Whispers were heard loud and clear after the Raiders cantankerous majority owner Al Davis fired Lane Kiffin, Davis shed light on why the contract impasse last off-season regarding Kiffin along with the Buccaneers was dragging on. It would know seem that Davis had knowledge or atleast insight that Kiffin was ready to jump ship and join his son Lane on the Raiders coaching staff but for what ever reason did not come to furtution.

Heading into the 2009 season the Buccaneers could have an entirely new defensive coaching staff which might cause a ripple effect with aging veteran players who are on the downside of there careers. Player's like All Pro Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber and Kevin Carter could all opt to retire. While other players might opt to sign elsewhere. The secondary could potentially take the hardest hit with both Phillip Buchanon and Jermaine Phillips both being free agents along with the possible retirement of Ronde Barber the team might only have one current starter returning.

Todd Wash, will have his hands full up front with Javon Haye, Ryan Sims along with Kevin Carter maybe playing there final two games as Buccaneers. When the dust finally settles as the team heads to training camp to get the 2009 season started the defense could have the biggest  makeover.

Strictly looking at things from a distance the Buccaneers could have three new defensive coaches along with six new starters.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #1 : December 16, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »

I have been thinking about that for some time myself. While I am hoping that Morris is either resigned as the Defensive Backs coach or promoted to the defensive coordinator, there still exists the probability that he goes elsewhere.

I believe in Aqib Talib to be a solid starter for our team, along with T-Jax. Sabby has got to work a little bit at it but he might come around and I think Mack might just be a serviceable nickel, the guy has played magnificently in his few opportunities, although undisciplined in others. Never the less, getting P-Buc and Flip back will be a huge boost.

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

« #2 : December 16, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

II think that would be the "worst case scenario" Yucc but very possible...I can't imagine such an over haul taking place in such a short time. I hope Morris is retained and most of the other staff too but its clear things are a changing. I don't see Brooks or Barber here too much longer, I suspect Barber could retire next year with as much of a beating he has taken on the field and in the media...maybe it is his time to go...Brooks has been great but it's obvious his play is declining too.

I'll wait until the off season to see how things play out but I don't think it'll be as drastic as you speculate it to be.

The Q

Pro Bowler

« #3 : December 16, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »

Well, let's get this season over and win some playoff games. Then we can worry about next year, NEXT YEAR!
But, you certainly make some very interesting points...I'm just not ready to talk about next year yet!

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 16, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »

Wonder if they bring Rod back.....assuming he hits the bricks.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #5 : December 16, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »

He is on my short list of coaches to replace Monte, along with Morris, Coyer and Ron Rivera who has coached with Jim Johnson of the Eagles and Lovie Smith of the Bears

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 16, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »

I have no doubt Morris is a good coach but filling Monte's shoes is a tall order for anyone.  He is a mad scientist, a one off, no way any coach will fully replace him or even come close.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 16, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »

That is why I think it would be best to get a coach that understand the base defense, but brings a more attacking approach. The Bucs just dont have the horses up front to only rush 4 and drop everyone else into coverage it is time to create pressure if you cant get it out of four.

Oliver Goldsmith

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 16, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »

He is on my short list of coaches to replace Monte, along with Morris, Coyer and Ron Rivera who has coached with Jim Johnson of the Eagles and Lovie Smith of the Bears

Interesting

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

« #9 : December 16, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »

Raheem will be the number 1 replacement option IMO. However, I could very well see Coyer take over. Jim Johnson I don't see going anywhere, but I would welcome him, and I also don't see Lovie going anywhere, but I would consider him too. Mainly though, I want Raheem.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #10 : December 17, 2008, 11:35:28 AM »

TS - Not Jim Johnson, but Ron Rivera who has coached under both Jim Johnson and Lovie Smith

Oliver Goldsmith
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Filling the Vacancies on the Defensive side « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools