Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YANKEES SIGN EVERYONE !!!!!!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 24, 2008, 03:36:08 PM

ICIT  sorry for the injury comment.. But you do realize we unfortunately have to compete with you guys 19 games a year..  It is just utterly unfair in my opinion..

But Merry Christmas to you.. Hey at least we like the same football team.. lmao..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 24, 2008, 03:53:54 PM

ICIT sorry for the injury comment.. But you do realize we unfortunately have to compete with you guys 19 games a year.. It is just utterly unfair in my opinion..

But Merry Christmas to you.. Hey at least we like the same football team.. lmao..
it was real unfair last year wasnt it?

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 24, 2008, 04:07:15 PM

Yankees fans are delusional.

CC Sabathia: 162 Million
A-Rod: 250 Million
Tex: 170 Million
Coming 3rd in the AL East And Missing the Playoffs: Priceless

#33 : December 24, 2008, 04:15:02 PM

If I was a Yankee fan I would hate all these whiners right now, butu since IM a Rays fan I just sit back and kind of ignore it

This really isnt that big of a deal. The Yanks have spent a billion $$ on players since their last world series. As long as they keep not winning then that amount keeps going up and make sit harder to justify spending all that money. I say spend 200 mil every year, and if they have nothing to show for it then how do they benefit? Its not like YOUR team cant build a contender because of them

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 25, 2008, 12:00:06 AM

If I was a Yankee fan I would hate all these whiners right now, butu since IM a Rays fan I just sit back and kind of ignore it

This really isnt that big of a deal. The Yanks have spent a billion $$ on players since their last world series. As long as they keep not winning then that amount keeps going up and make sit harder to justify spending all that money. I say spend 200 mil every year, and if they have nothing to show for it then how do they benefit? Its not like YOUR team cant build a contender because of them
THANK YOU.  What the hell is the big deal here?  Joe's comment saying that "payroll going down from 08 to 09 is irrelevant" is so far off its not even funny.  How is it not relevant?  People are getting pissed because the Yankees are spending less and getting better.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 25, 2008, 12:33:07 AM

THANK YOU.  What the hell is the big deal here?  Joe's comment saying that "payroll going down from 08 to 09 is irrelevant" is so far off its not even funny.  How is it not relevant?  People are getting pissed because the Yankees are spending less and getting better.

It's not relevant in the big picture. The picture is that the Yanks outspend everybody by a lot. However, that's the fault of MLB and not the Yanks or Big Stein and family. Was it fair to the Rays last year? Well, let them add two $20 million a year players and see if they would have beaten the Phils.

Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about the Yanks. I was pretty clear about that. But if you're being honest with yourself, you'll admit that the system is messed up. As a Mets' fan, I know we can outspend a lot of teams. And it's messed up. But it will never change as long as teams are making money and the bottom line is profitable.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 25, 2008, 01:20:01 AM

THANK YOU. What the hell is the big deal here? Joe's comment saying that "payroll going down from 08 to 09 is irrelevant" is so far off its not even funny. How is it not relevant? People are getting pissed because the Yankees are spending less and getting better.

It's not relevant in the big picture. The picture is that the Yanks outspend everybody by a lot. However, that's the fault of MLB and not the Yanks or Big Stein and family. Was it fair to the Rays last year? Well, let them add two $20 million a year players and see if they would have beaten the Phils.

Once again, I'm not saying anything bad about the Yanks. I was pretty clear about that. But if you're being honest with yourself, you'll admit that the system is messed up. As a Mets' fan, I know we can outspend a lot of teams. And it's messed up. But it will never change as long as teams are making money and the bottom line is profitable.

The system isnt perfect but its far from terrible.  The bottom line is this -- last year, you had 13 teams who were realstically in the hunt  for 8 playoff spots -- BOS, TB, NYY, MIN,CHW, LAA, NYM, PHI, MIL, CHC, STL, LAA, and ARZ.  On the contrary, you had 8 teams who had a winning pct of less than .450 -- BAL, DET, SEA, WAS, ATL, PIT, SD, and SF.  Out of those 8 teams only WAS and PIT would be considered "small market" teams.  The Rays and Brwers were both in the playoffs.  The Twins were eliminated after their 163rd game.  Also when you consider you had down years from a few normally solid clubs like CLE, OAK, ATL, and DET... I would say baseball is pretty damn competitve all across the lower 48... big markets and small.   

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 25, 2008, 10:15:22 AM

If you don't see the problem with the disparity is payrolls, you're not being honest with yourself.

But, for the third time, it's not going to change as long as everybody is making money. They really don't care about the fans in the cities like Cincy and Seattle and Pittsburgh. Can those teams build a winner and stay competitive for a couple of years? Yes (although Pitt. and Cincy. fans might disagree). But in the long run, they'll lose their stars to the bigger markets and have to start over again. The Yanks and Mets and Red Sox will field power houses every year. That doesn't give them a guaranteed trip to the playoffs but it definitely gives them an unfair advantage heading into each season.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 25, 2008, 04:55:16 PM

If you don't see the problem with the disparity is payrolls, you're not being honest with yourself.

But, for the third time, it's not going to change as long as everybody is making money. They really don't care about the fans in the cities like Cincy and Seattle and Pittsburgh. Can those teams build a winner and stay competitive for a couple of years? Yes (although Pitt. and Cincy. fans might disagree). But in the long run, they'll lose their stars to the bigger markets and have to start over again. The Yanks and Mets and Red Sox will field power houses every year. That doesn't give them a guaranteed trip to the playoffs but it definitely gives them an unfair advantage heading into each season.

Seattle spent a boat load of money last offseason but I guess that didnt count.  The bottom line is this -- a small market is still a big city, and 100s of 1000s of people live within a 50 mile radius of any park.  The bottom line is the small market teams who continue to fail have poor leadership and dont know where or how to invest their money wisely ie in the farm system and scouting.  These small market teams are still trying to draw fans from large groups of people, the team just isnt doing enough to catch the interest of casual fans.   

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 25, 2008, 05:23:48 PM

You've got to be kidding. Go look at the revenue streams that come in for the Yanks. Not even close to what some of those small market teams have.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 25, 2008, 08:29:41 PM

You've got to be kidding. Go look at the revenue streams that come in for the Yanks. Not even close to what some of those small market teams have.
obviously not.  But the NYY monetary success is not just due to them being in the Bronx.  Theyve built a name and a fanbase for themselves, as have the vast majority of major league clubs.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 25, 2008, 08:39:56 PM

They run their organization VERY well. You'll get no argument from me there. I'd trade the Wilpons for the Steinbrenners any day.

#42 : December 26, 2008, 06:38:58 PM

the Yanks outspend everybody by a lot. However, that's the fault of MLB and not the Yanks or Big Stein and family.

see this is what I hate. Where you would use the word "fault" I would not. It is not a bad thing. I wouldve said this 1 year ago, and the fact that the Rays finally got good has nothign to do with my stance here.

The Yanks deserve to spend more. They are the epitome of what YOU wish your Mets were for the past 30 years. An owner committed to winning. Sure they are in the biggest city in the country and that certainly has something to do with $$$, but not everything. Having an owner committe dto winning is more important than everythign in sports. Thats where everythign starts. Your owner is committed to winning, then you see it trickle down to the owner hiring a GM that is great at what he does. Then you have scouts, managers, caoches, all the way down to the ushers in teh stands are great at what they do. Then you have great players developed, and a way of doing business that is established all because the owner is committed to winning

Its no different than what we saw the Glazers do in Tampa. they were committed to winning, and they turned a real nice buck off the Bucs. They went from teh top down, gutting this organization and establishing excellence and winning and then revenue flowed in. The BUcs went from the least profitable organization to one of the highest revenue organizations in the NFL.

The Yanks who have no salary cap can reap the benfits from running their organization as a winner for years. They make tons of money, because people want to be associated iwth teh Yankee logo. Then they get TV deals because of their popularity, and stadium deals, and advertising, and merchandise sales through the roof.

And then the ultimate ending to all this where you and I disagree is that the Yankees benefit from doing things the right way by giving their fans continued success thanks to the engine Steinbrenner built

#43 : December 26, 2008, 06:59:50 PM

The Yankee haters think this all happened by accident somehow, and that the Yanks dont deserve it.

I love sports where the best run organizations are seperated by a long way on teh field from the bad front offices. I hate leagues where being cheap, stupid, or not savvy rewards you for teh sake of balance. This is called parity in the NFL, and while everyone applaudes how it keeps interest up in every city throughout the year, nobody mentions how it really works against smart front offices and for dumb ones. The Bengals may be completely inept compared to the Eagles owner/gm/scouts/coaches, but because of the way the league is structured the Bengals have a coinflip chance of making the playoffs next year.

As a fan you want to have a well run organization pay off by multiple championships, and I think baseball comes closest to getting that right.

I still dont get how people want to blame the Yankees for inequality in revenue streams and winning. The Cubs/White Sox/Dodgers and ANgels play in some of the biggest markets in the country and probably the world and they have combined enough championships to count on one hand the last 50 years.

People dont give enough credit to Steinbrenner, and they dont give enough blame to corrupt owners and poor management

I think this structure helps to erradicate bad ownership, case in point Vince Naimoli and the Devil Rays circa 1998-2005. If it wasnt for revenue disparity and the willingness MLB has to leave poorly run organizations in the basement, we may never have saw a change in ownership

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 26, 2008, 07:40:14 PM

You obviously didn't understand or read what I wrote.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YANKEES SIGN EVERYONE !!!!!!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools