Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YANKEES SIGN EVERYONE !!!!!!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#45 : December 26, 2008, 07:55:59 PM

yes I did, your argument doesnt hold up

You say Yankees fans arent being honest if they have that take, and Im sitting here as a fan of a small market team saying MLB doesnt need a salary cap.

You obviously dont see how they DESERVE to have more resources than teams who dont try as hard as them to win. And you dont see how numerous teams in their position have had no world series wins in 100 years. And you dont see how no matter how much the Yankees spend, it does not effect your teams chances at being a championship contender.

90% of being bad is because you dont try, 10% of it is due to the size of your market

Same goes for success. 90% of being a perennial winner and even a 1 time world series winner is because you are good, and 10% is because of market size

The Yankees have a much smaller advantage than you make it out to be, from things that are out of their control (like market size). And the advantage they do have in revenue and spending is deserved because of good management

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#46 : December 26, 2008, 08:38:27 PM

For me, as long as baseball continues to produce exciting regular and postseasons, I can live with the system.  Its flawed but it works.  The salary cap system is not perfect, either.  If you truely look at it, baseball has 30 teams and really only PIT, WAS and KC consistently lose.  In the NFL, you've got a few clubs like DET, CLE, CIN who are never any good. 

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#47 : December 26, 2008, 10:05:55 PM

You can't buy chemistry.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#48 : December 26, 2008, 10:57:10 PM

For me, as long as baseball continues to produce exciting regular and postseasons, I can live with the system.  Its flawed but it works.  The salary cap system is not perfect, either.  If you truely look at it, baseball has 30 teams and really only PIT, WAS and KC consistently lose.  In the NFL, you've got a few clubs like DET, CLE, CIN who are never any good. 

I think DET, CLE, and CIN (NFL) have seen the playoffs more recently than PIT, WAS, or KC (MLB).

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#49 : December 26, 2008, 11:25:43 PM

At least you admit it's flawed. That's all I was looking for. Are the playoffs exciting? Yep.

I wonder how you or I would feel if we lived in KC or Pitt.

NBA and NFL have exciting post seasons and have a cap. Hockey? Not sure since I didn't watch last year.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#50 : December 27, 2008, 10:47:43 AM

For me, as long as baseball continues to produce exciting regular and postseasons, I can live with the system. Its flawed but it works. The salary cap system is not perfect, either. If you truely look at it, baseball has 30 teams and really only PIT, WAS and KC consistently lose. In the NFL, you've got a few clubs like DET, CLE, CIN who are never any good.

At least you admit it's flawed. That's all I was looking for. Are the playoffs exciting? Yep.

NBA and NFL have exciting post seasons and have a cap. Hockey? Not sure since I didn't watch last year.

For me, as long as baseball continues to produce exciting regular and postseasons, I can live with the system. Its flawed but it works. The salary cap system is not perfect, either. If you truely look at it, baseball has 30 teams and really only PIT, WAS and KC consistently lose. In the NFL, you've got a few clubs like DET, CLE, CIN who are never any good.

anytime you have one team spend 220 mil and another team spends 40 theres an issue, no doubt.  But the regular season division races are always close and the WC has really done wonders for baseall.  I agree the system isnt perfect but people make it sound like baseball is on the brink of a major collapse when the fact is that the game is as sound all the way around as it has probably ever been.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#51 : December 27, 2008, 10:54:10 AM

I never suggested that it's close to collapse ad I don't have any friends that suggest that either. Two of my close friends are Yanks' fans. One is a Red Sox fan and one other is a Metsie. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The Royals' fan on this board would probably think differently.

#52 : December 28, 2008, 06:28:05 PM

I'm a Rays fan, does it matter to you that I dont think differently? We have historically been cheaper than the Royals, and less profitable an organization.

I guess I just think of it like a business. You hope that your team can build itself into a high revenue team and be given the advantages to  sustain its success due to the hard work that has gone into making it such a high revenue team. I dont think a team who is less marketable and less profitable because of poor business decisions deserves to be handed success like ateam that works hard to build itself into a profitable organization

I think sports with caps dont allow hard work to be paid off, because they create so many shortcuts that allow everyone to be competitive and make it hard for the great teams to keep their dominance

Another problem I have that no one brings up is that these owners are all loaded with cash and it's ridiciulous to assume they cant spend more money. And I believe strongly in the theory that almost any team from any market can become very profitable by being competitive on a regular basis. The Tampa area has proved it with 2 pro sports teams, and IMO they will prove it again when the Rays become a high revenue team

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 28, 2008, 09:27:54 PM

I'm a Rays fan, does it matter to you that I dont think differently? We have historically been cheaper than the Royals, and less profitable an organization.

I guess I just think of it like a business. You hope that your team can build itself into a high revenue team and be given the advantages to  sustain its success due to the hard work that has gone into making it such a high revenue team. I dont think a team who is less marketable and less profitable because of poor business decisions deserves to be handed success like ateam that works hard to build itself into a profitable organization

I think sports with caps dont allow hard work to be paid off, because they create so many shortcuts that allow everyone to be competitive and make it hard for the great teams to keep their dominance

Another problem I have that no one brings up is that these owners are all loaded with cash and it's ridiciulous to assume they cant spend more money. And I believe strongly in the theory that almost any team from any market can become very profitable by being competitive on a regular basis. The Tampa area has proved it with 2 pro sports teams, and IMO they will prove it again when the Rays become a high revenue team
Exactly, when owners "cant" spend more money its because they dont want to risk any of the 60mil in profit they make every year.

bigbuc345

Pro Bowler

#54 : December 28, 2008, 09:33:17 PM

typical new york bankees moves

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#55 : December 28, 2008, 09:37:21 PM

That's bull ... the financial resources of the NY Yankees is not even remotely close to the financial resources available to the Rays (or most of the teams in MLB).  It's night and day.  A salary cap (and floor) puts teams on a reasonably equal playing field when it comes to signing FAs and retaining home grown talent.

#56 : December 29, 2008, 12:56:36 PM

^^ Im sure you said something completely not worth my time so I just took the liberty to skip right over your nonsense. Have a good day sir

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#57 : December 29, 2008, 04:30:04 PM

^^ Im sure you said something completely not worth my time so I just took the liberty to skip right over your nonsense. Have a good day sir

yet you spent the time to type a meaningless post ... at least you didn't turn it into a 1000 word rambling essay ... we all greatly appreciate that ....

On a side note, please note everyone that I've ignored this ignorant butt for a couple weeks now and yet he decided to make the above retarded comment ... smoke it if you got it huggy bear ....
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: YANKEES SIGN EVERYONE !!!!!!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools