Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone watching USF? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

LFO

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 23, 2008, 10:58:48 PM

that bowl game is a joke and shouldn't last

You could say that about at least 50% of bowl games, but that's besides the point.

It would be good for the community if the game was a success.  It's a shame that it's first year was anything but, even though they had USF in it.

How many bowl games has USF been in?  You'd think USF fans would be happy that they are playing in a post season game given how "new" the football program is.  I'm not sure if USF fans feel they are too "good" for a bowl like that, but I really don't think they should feel that way. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 23, 2008, 11:06:55 PM

OK, 50% of he bowls are a joke ...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 23, 2008, 11:10:45 PM

LOL

Ok.

Regardless of that though it's sad that USF fans didn't show up.  I was actually shocked when I saw that.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 24, 2008, 01:30:01 PM

It's not knee jerk, people don't go watch losing teams.

They've had one losing season in their existence...

People certainly don't want to go watch games when they feel they're second rate customers to the people that sit at home and watch.

LOL .... What the hell does that mean?

The conference is basically WVU, with some questions at coach, USF, and some questionable basketball schools and other Junior colleges.  There's only 8 football team in the conference and most of them suck out loud.

Interesting observation ...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 24, 2008, 01:31:29 PM

They should "expect" to win it EVERY year.

Of course .... but when you add the "rightfully" to it, IMO, it adds a bit of, dare I say it, arrogance to it .... like "we are USF, by God, and that title should rightfully be ours".

Rightfully, as in they have the means and it's not fandumb to assume it could be done.

Really? .... just what "means" are you refering to?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 24, 2008, 01:41:19 PM

LOL

Ok.

Regardless of that though it's sad that USF fans didn't show up.  I was actually shocked when I saw that.

Still shocked after reading Rowdie's posts? That's the kind of stuff USF is fighting against in the building up of the program...

And it appeared that the bowl officials weren't that upset over how the intial one turned out. Maybe there are other sources with a different perspective .... and there were more than 8500 Bulls fans there. Many bought through TM before they were released to the school .... another thing USF has to better train their fans on.

I do agree, though, that it will be interesting to see the turnout next year from the BE entry. The vacation aspect will be an attraction but the opponent may offset that. Rutgers fans were pissed they got B'ham instead of St Pete but still don't know how that would translate if they really had the chance to come here.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 24, 2008, 01:51:36 PM

LOL

Ok.

Still shocked after reading Rowdie's posts? That's the kind of stuff USF is fighting against in the building up of the program...

And it appeared that the bowl officials weren't that upset over how the intial one turned out. Maybe there are other sources with a different perspective .... and there were more than 8500 Bulls fans there. Many bought through TM before they were released to the school .... another thing USF has to better train their fans on.

I do agree, though, that it will be interesting to see the turnout next year from the BE entry. The vacation aspect will be an attraction but the opponent may offset that. Rutgers fans were pissed they got B'ham instead of St Pete but still don't know how that would translate if they really had the chance to come here.

Well, yeah, I know there were more than 8500 USF fans there. 

And yes, I still am shocked.  Rowdie brings up what I am talking about.  Why are the fans dropping out when the team made a bowl game, went 8-5?  Is it because they had an inflated #2 ranking last year and now the fans think they are entitled to more?  If so, that is ridiculous.  I guess if that is true then that #2 ranking was the worst thing that could happen for USF.  Reality is, they weren't that good.  They are still building.  Fans should not be turning their nose up at bowls like St. Pete and Birmingham at this point in the life of that program.  Besides that, it is important for them to show that they can travel well, especially when it is down the street.  What is going to happen when they are in the discussion for a BCS bowl with a team that is known to travel well?  They are going to choose the latter.  So when USF gets shunned in the future from a BCS bid and ends up in another "lesser" bowl that the fans are too good for, well they will only have themselves to blame. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 25, 2008, 01:03:42 AM

LOL

Ok.

Regardless of that though it's sad that USF fans didn't show up.� I was actually shocked when I saw that.

And yes, I still am shocked.  Rowdie brings up what I am talking about.  Why are the fans dropping out when the team made a bowl game, went 8-5?  Is it because they had an inflated #2 ranking last year and now the fans think they are entitled to more?  If so, that is ridiculous.  I guess if that is true then that #2 ranking was the worst thing that could happen for USF.  Reality is, they weren't that good.  They are still building.  Fans should not be turning their nose up at bowls like St. Pete and Birmingham at this point in the life of that program.  Besides that, it is important for them to show that they can travel well, especially when it is down the street.  What is going to happen when they are in the discussion for a BCS bowl with a team that is known to travel well?  They are going to choose the latter.  So when USF gets shunned in the future from a BCS bid and ends up in another "lesser" bowl that the fans are too good for, well they will only have themselves to blame.

The success last year was great as far as getting USF some recognition on the national level but it was horrible in terms of the effect on a certain portion of our "fan"base and Rowdie's friends are a perfect example. They either don;t understand what college football is really about or they are actually fans of another program but it was just convenient to go to USF football games and the first year that actually don't live up to expectations, they bail ... and there are others who won't give up their season tix but thought that the St Pete Bowl was beneath going to and it really could, as you pointed out, come back to bite the program in the butt down the road if there are choices to be had in who's invited to a more prestigious bowl.... Building a fanbase in these times, in this state, where you've got three established, successful programs that people have grown up following is not going to be easy.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 25, 2008, 08:06:06 PM

LOL

Ok.

Regardless of that though it's sad that USF fans didn't show up.� I was actually shocked when I saw that.

The success last year was great as far as getting USF some recognition on the national level but it was horrible in terms of the effect on a certain portion of our "fan"base and Rowdie's friends are a perfect example. They either don;t understand what college football is really about or they are actually fans of another program but it was just convenient to go to USF football games and the first year that actually don't live up to expectations, they bail ... and there are others who won't give up their season tix but thought that the St Pete Bowl was beneath going to and it really could, as you pointed out, come back to bite the program in the butt down the road if there are choices to be had in who's invited to a more prestigious bowl.... Building a fanbase in these times, in this state, where you've got three established, successful programs that people have grown up following is not going to be easy.

For a change, I completely agree with everything you have said here.

Glad we could actually have discussion without anyone getting personal. 

I was a bit worried how you or others might take my comments on USF fans.  I wasn't intending to be degrading I was really just baffled and curious why it was happening.  I am a fan of this area and would like to see the bowl be a success.  It would be good for a number of reasons.  The fact that it was so poorly attended despite USF playing was disappointing to me. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 25, 2008, 09:14:25 PM

LOL

Ok.

Well, yeah, I know there were more than 8500 USF fans there.�

And yes, I still am shocked.� Rowdie brings up what I am talking about.� Why are the fans dropping out when the team made a bowl game, went 8-5?� Is it because they had an inflated #2 ranking last year and now the fans think they are entitled to more?� If so, that is ridiculous.� I guess if that is true then that #2 ranking was the worst thing that could happen for USF.� Reality is, they weren't that good.� They are still building.� Fans should not be turning their nose up at bowls like St. Pete and Birmingham at this point in the life of that program.� Besides that, it is important for them to show that they can travel well, especially when it is down the street.� What is going to happen when they are in the discussion for a BCS bowl with a team that is known to travel well?� They are going to choose the latter.� So when USF gets shunned in the future from a BCS bid and ends up in another "lesser" bowl that the fans are too good for, well they will only have themselves to blame.

Honestly, I try to respond to posts, not posters ... by that I mean I'm not just going to start crap with somebody just because of who they are, but rather what they're saying.... I will admit, though, that I do have a shorter fuse with fans of a certain other state team at times .... I'm too set in my ways just can't help myself.   ::)

I was a bit worried how you or others might take my comments on USF fans.  I wasn't intending to be degrading I was really just baffled and curious why it was happening.  I am a fan of this area and would like to see the bowl be a success.  It would be good for a number of reasons.  The fact that it was so poorly attended despite USF playing was disappointing to me.

It will be interesting to see what happens the years USF or UCF isn't there .... it's a great destination for the northern teams but the shortness from the bowl announcement to the actual bowl itself, in regards to air travel, could be a problem.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 26, 2008, 12:35:26 AM

LOL

Ok.

Well, yeah, I know there were more than 8500 USF fans there.�

And yes, I still am shocked.� Rowdie brings up what I am talking about.� Why are the fans dropping out when the team made a bowl game, went 8-5?� Is it because they had an inflated #2 ranking last year and now the fans think they are entitled to more?� If so, that is ridiculous.� I guess if that is true then that #2 ranking was the worst thing that could happen for USF.� Reality is, they weren't that good.� They are still building.� Fans should not be turning their nose up at bowls like St. Pete and Birmingham at this point in the life of that program.� Besides that, it is important for them to show that they can travel well, especially when it is down the street.� What is going to happen when they are in the discussion for a BCS bowl with a team that is known to travel well?� They are going to choose the latter.� So when USF gets shunned in the future from a BCS bid and ends up in another "lesser" bowl that the fans are too good for, well they will only have themselves to blame.

Honestly, I try to respond to posts, not posters ... by that I mean I'm not just going to start crap with somebody just because of who they are, but rather what they're saying.... I will admit, though, that I do have a shorter fuse with fans of a certain other state team at times .... I'm too set in my ways just can't help myself.   ::)

It will be interesting to see what happens the years USF or UCF isn't there .... it's a great destination for the northern teams but the shortness from the bowl announcement to the actual bowl itself, in regards to air travel, could be a problem.

I agree again.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 28, 2008, 04:42:43 PM

The problem with Bull fans is that most of them are fairly new fans.  Many of them even grew up watching Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgio, Ohio State, Mich.....  These fans still do not have the affiliation to the school or the program that the Alum of the schools I mentioned have.  The fact that USF grew so fast is part of the problem.  In another 5-10 years fans will not be a problem, selling tickets will not be a problem, and having a stadium will not be a problem.

It really is that simple.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone watching USF? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools