Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas out of the Senior Bowl « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 10, 2007, 06:58:31 PM

Don't be ridiculous.  He knows he is one of the top 3-5 choices if he can read.  It appears he has that ability.  He knows about individual work outs, team days, the combine and all the rest of it.  There is ONLY downside for him.  Many top players don't attend the Senior Bowl.

No, Gruden cannot be so childish as to not pick a player who did not play in the freakin' Senior Bowl - thereby eliminating all juniors who are coming out, including but not limited to CJ and the qb from LSU.  

PS Joe Thomas is smart - he figured out that if he stays healthy he is a millionaire.  Geez folks - the entire world doesn't have it out for the bucs - nor are they conspiring to hide things.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 10, 2007, 06:58:56 PM

Alright  guys...

1. Joe Thomas has played the entire season, hasn't been hurt, you can cross that off, barring a freak accident
2. The Senior bowl is extremely important for fringe players or players trying to gain recognition, Thomas ain't one of them
3. The Combine is what really counts, everyone is there and that is the "meat market"

Sure it sucks he is out but lets drop the conspiracy theories. Hell I just got back from the office and this thread has just exploded! Everything is fine, if he skips he skips. His perogative...

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#32 : January 10, 2007, 07:00:23 PM

My sentiments exactly. I still don't understand the fanatical manlove for Thomas. He can do no wrong. Not even attending the Senior Bowl raises a MAJOR red flag over his knee. He may have aggravated it by coming back too soon. If its swollen, he may need to have it scoped and some debris cleared out. Is this the kind of player you want to spend a top #4 pick on? An OT with a bum knee that swells up like a grapefruit after every game??? PASS.

I'd take a chance on him if we picked in the 6-10 range, but not at 3 or 4. I want HEALTHY players with no history of major ACL injuries, please.

If you don't get the affinity for Thomas watch our offensive line play. They suck, period. That simple concept eludes then we're done.

I doubt he's playing because his knee swelled up since the game is weeks after his last game. If his knee was that bum it would have manifested itself during the season.

The simple answer is that most top 10 level talents bail on the game because it doesn't do them any good to show up.

Our OL is not Oakland's or Houston's. They are the definition of 'suck'. We allowed 33 sacks, which is 15th in the league. Thomas is not coming to Tampa. Get over it. GruAllen are not drafting a guy that take 3 years to develop, which is the timeline for all OL, it would be the same as drafting a franchise QB. Would you make a big stink about that? Sure. He is likely going to Detroit, seeing that they gave up 63 sacks. Unreal.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 10, 2007, 07:02:11 PM

My sentiments exactly. I still don't understand the fanatical manlove for Thomas. He can do no wrong. Not even attending the Senior Bowl raises a MAJOR red flag over his knee. He may have aggravated it by coming back too soon. If its swollen, he may need to have it scoped and some debris cleared out. Is this the kind of player you want to spend a top #4 pick on? An OT with a bum knee that swells up like a grapefruit after every game??? PASS.

I'd take a chance on him if we picked in the 6-10 range, but not at 3 or 4. I want HEALTHY players with no history of major ACL injuries, please.

If you don't get the affinity for Thomas watch our offensive line play. They suck, period. That simple concept eludes then we're done.

I doubt he's playing because his knee swelled up since the game is weeks after his last game. If his knee was that bum it would have manifested itself during the season.

The simple answer is that most top 10 level talents bail on the game because it doesn't do them any good to show up.

Our OL is not Oakland's or Houston's. They are the definition of 'suck'. We allowed 33 sacks, which is 15th in the league. Thomas is not coming to Tampa. Get over it. GruAllen are not drafting a guy that take 3 years to develop, which is the timeline for all OL, it would be the same as drafting a franchise QB. Would you make a big stink about that? Sure. He is likely going to Detroit, seeing that they gave up 63 sacks. Unreal.

HEY BUDDY, DUDE...We were last in the NFL in 1st downs. You cannot get sacked if you don't have possession of the ball. That is the WORSt statistic, its bogus, garners zero merit.............

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#34 : January 10, 2007, 07:06:54 PM

Alright  guys...

1. Joe Thomas has played the entire season, hasn't been hurt, you can cross that off, barring a freak accident
2. The Senior bowl is extremely important for fringe players or players trying to gain recognition, Thomas ain't one of them
3. The Combine is what really counts, everyone is there and that is the "meat market"

Sure it sucks he is out but lets drop the conspiracy theories. Hell I just got back from the office and this thread has just exploded! Everything is fine, if he skips he skips. His perogative...

If this is all true, why even bother accepting an invitation? He could've refused. I'd take that over accepting the invitation and then pulling out. Shows lack of commitment or an agent in his ear. Either way is not acceptable. If D'Brick can show up and get it done, that's the kind of OT I want. Not a more athletic Wunsch.

shall555

Starter

#35 : January 10, 2007, 07:09:25 PM

HEY BUDDY, DUDE...We were last in the NFL in 1st downs. You cannot get sacked if you don't have possession of the ball. That is the WORSt statistic, its bogus, garners zero merit.............

So what. We were 11th in the league in pass attempts with 535. A few more than New England and Baltimore.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 10, 2007, 07:11:11 PM

No, Gruden cannot be so childish as to not pick a player who did not play in the freakin' Senior Bowl - thereby eliminating all juniors who are coming out, including but not limited to CJ and the qb from LSU.

It did not eliminate Gruden from drafting Clayton who was a junior.  No the juniors are still the in the mix.  But the seniors that do not show up at the senior bowl may have other seniors that did improve their stocks in the eyes of the Bucs organization.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 10, 2007, 07:11:45 PM

Hey man, I never said it was a good thing, in fact I said it sux but its not the end of the world.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've seen him play, seen whate he can offer. If you or anyone else wants to fuss about it, go for it. I wanted him to be there, I wanted to see him go up against the guys in practice as much as anyone...

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 10, 2007, 07:13:20 PM

So what. We were 11th in the league in pass attempts with 535. A few more than New England and Baltimore.

HAHA, alright man I am not going to argue with you. Our OL looks great....

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#39 : January 10, 2007, 07:15:54 PM

It did not eliminate Gruden from drafting Clayton who was a junior.  No the juniors are still the in the mix.  But the seniors that do not show up at the senior bowl may have other seniors that did improve their stocks in the eyes of the Bucs organization.

Which is why I think the Bucs will take a LT in the 2nd round like Joe Staley or Levi Brown, and draft an impact playmaker in the 1st, like CJ or Adams. Maybe even Anderson, who has measureables like Julius Peppers. A bookend combo of Rice and Anderson would be scary as hell.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 10, 2007, 07:18:18 PM

If the Bucs have some interest in Joe Thomas I do not see them passing on him unless they like Gaines/CJ/Quinn that much more.   And Quinn is the only one out of these four that may play in the senior bowl. 

shall555

Starter

#41 : January 10, 2007, 07:21:00 PM

HAHA, alright man I am not going to argue with you. Our OL looks great....

No, they're lousy, just not on the level that everyone seems to think. LOL. I know our OL aren't world beaters, but maybe they'd be better with a new coach? The running game sucks something awful. I will agree with that. Next year will be much improved on the right side with the young guys. It's the Center/LG slots that need to be bulked up and improved. We had no complaints about the left side in 2005 when Buenning was healthy and the Davis-Buenning were roadgrading people.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 10, 2007, 07:36:04 PM

Shalla - Thomas is a franchise/elite tackle.  He is healthy, fills a need, would give the bucs depth by having AD as a backup for guard and tackle, provide balance, and strength.  All in all he is just about perfect for what this team needs.  Add in a FA center who can make line calls AND block and you have a line.

Would offer, if you can't run block or protect for more than 2 seconds no skill or impact player is gonna help you.

If the bucs want to play and compete with the elite NFL teams like this past year, and actually win some they need the o line upgrade, maybe second round talent could do it.  How long do YOU want to wait for an elite LOT.  Right now you could get one.  Perhaps.  If he is there and the bucs don't take him - well I will be surprised. 

PS  There were plenty of complaints about the left side in 05, all over this board.  They were there this year as well.  Right side as well.  Check the archieves.  They are full of them.  Check Gruden's comments.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 10, 2007, 07:40:17 PM

Shalla - Thomas is a franchise/elite tackle. He is healthy, fills a need, would give the bucs depth by having AD as a backup for guard and tackle, provide balance, and strength. All in all he is just about perfect for what this team needs. Add in a FA center who can make line calls AND block and you have a line.

Would offer, if you can't run block or protect for more than 2 seconds no skill or impact player is gonna help you.

If the bucs want to play and compete with the elite NFL teams like this past year, and actually win some they need the o line upgrade, maybe second round talent could do it. How long do YOU want to wait for an elite LOT. Right now you could get one. Perhaps. If he is there and the bucs don't take him - well I will be surprised.

PS There were plenty of complaints about the left side in 05, all over this board. They were there this year as well. Right side as well. Check the archieves. They are full of them. Check Gruden's comments.

This is far too reasonable a post....

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#44 : January 10, 2007, 07:44:00 PM

Shalla - Thomas is a franchise/elite tackle. He is healthy, fills a need, would give the bucs depth by having AD as a backup for guard and tackle, provide balance, and strength. All in all he is just about perfect for what this team needs. Add in a FA center who can make line calls AND block and you have a line.

If the bucs want to play and compete with the elite NFL teams like this past year, and actually win some they need the o line upgrade, maybe second round talent could do it. How long do YOU want to wait for an elite LOT. Right now you could get one. Perhaps. If he is there and the bucs don't take him - well I will be surprised.

PS There were plenty of complaints about the left side in 05, all over this board. They were there this year as well. Right side as well. Check the archieves. They are full of them. Check Gruden's comments.

I know the right side was garbage in '05. Kenyatta and Mahan couldn't run block against air, but the left side was pretty solid. I remember being pleasantly surprised.

All this arguing is pointless if Detroit decides to take Joe Thomas @ 2, which they might. Millen loves these blue collar lunch pail guys.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas out of the Senior Bowl « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools