Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2002 Bucs versus 2008 Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1

FanSince79

Second String

: December 17, 2008, 11:35:08 PM

I have thought a lot about our 2002 run. That Chicago game at the end of the seaons when we kicked only FG's and won
in the cold, the team didnt' look that great then on offense.  Of course we got the 2 seed, something we are trying for
now, and then dominated the playoffs when everything just came together. Brad Johnson was hurt down the stretch
just like Garcia this year.  Keenan came up huge just like Antonio is this year. Same old bucs defense. Gotta believe that
Dunn is an upgrade over Pittman!

How do you compare the two? Can you see this season turning out like that season did?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 17, 2008, 11:40:21 PM

1. We're facing Philip Rivers this week not Henry Burriss.
2. Our secondary receivers were better that year.
3. That defense was great. This one has been very good at times, but not as good lately.
4. The division is tougher than ever this year making 11 wins as impressive as the 12 then.
5. 15 points given we had to start Rob Johnson and given the purposely conservative approach in the Chicago game was fine. Remember that the idea a lot of the time was not to let the offense LOSE the game for you then. Our defense can't do that now and so our offense must do more.
Conclusion: We got fortunate to be the 2 when NE beat Miami and therefore the Jets needed to beat GB to win the AFC East. NO will have no real incentive in Week 17 other than pride. However, if we wind up as the 2 again, anything is possible.

In Verner We Trust

fishman

Starter

#2 : December 18, 2008, 07:20:20 AM

Yeah, if we wanted the division we should have tried winning one of our last two games rather than hanging onto a prayer now. and plllllease, this defense isn't close to 2002. Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, an MVP Brooks season, Barber, Kelly, Lynch, D. Smith and D Jackson. Wow... This defense is good but the d line isn't close to that team. The only thing this defense shares in common is an abilty to create a lot of turnovers.

I had confidence in that team. The only game I was hesitant was the one at Philly for the conference title. This team, I dont have confidence in. I don't see them winning a playoff game. If they do, I'll be ecstatic.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 18, 2008, 07:33:27 AM

when were were sitting at 9-3...heck even 9-4....you could have compared the two....

but I don't see it now...I mean we are the verge of going 10-6 and out of the playoffs...not even worth mentioning in the same sentence as our 2002 Bucs

original

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 18, 2008, 07:36:12 AM

We are also facing LT and seeing how we did the last two weeks against running backs, this could be a long game.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 18, 2008, 07:39:02 AM

Original,

the only good news that can cheer us up about that is that both Hovan and Haye are practicing.  STILL, LT will have a good game, over 100 yards and a TD, but as long as he isn't scoring TDs left and right and getting 4-5 yards  a pop, we'll be ok.

I was more worried about the starting QB of this game.  The offense looked pitiful under Griese.  Hopefully Garcia can play.  He may get a bad rep, but damn man the offense looks like the 2007 Patriots when he plays compared to Griese...

gypsie

Starter

#6 : December 18, 2008, 09:02:59 AM

2002 defense was one of the best ever this defense is good not great. 2002 bucs pass rush was unbelievable and we only rushed for guys was the crazy part, now to have any hope of a pass rush we have to blitz which leaves us open in the secondary. If the 2 teams played each other 2002 team would win by 13.

fishman

Starter

#7 : December 21, 2008, 06:22:59 PM

Anyone want to talk about this argument still?

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

GoBucs40Bulls8

Starter

#8 : December 21, 2008, 06:23:50 PM

no

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2002 Bucs versus 2008 Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools