Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is anyone else getting the feeling « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Shag

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 11, 2007, 09:44:46 AM

I don't even see any big names I would want. Briggs is up there, but he will get more than we should spend on a LB. I don't really like Freeney either. He is just a pass rush threat for a high scoring team that forces the other team to play from behind. That's not the Bucs. We shouldn't spend cap on this weak free agency just to use our space.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#16 : January 11, 2007, 09:47:34 AM

I would like to see Briggs, Freeney and Clements, but thats gonna be alot of money to spend for those guys, i could see Briggs as the one who will be most likely in a Buc uni....Clements will be asking for at least Top 5 money as a CB, so to get those 2 guys we are gonna have to drop a load a cash for em

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 11, 2007, 11:33:36 AM

i think it's been mentioned that lots of teams have cap room, and some teams that might not have been able to afford to re-sign their best FAs in the past can do so this year....that hurts the FA pool and means most teams will overpay for the remaining talent.  a smart team would stay above the fray for the most part, and i think bruce is a smart GM.

that being said, i think we need to re-sign all of our own FAs, make an all-out push for the best DL available, get jeff garcia, get some OL depth, and hunt for a few rescue projects (LB, S, FB, OL).  i think we have enough talent coming off of injury and enough chances to improve through the draft or via a key trade or two that we don't have to go crazy....

this year, we have cap room and so does everyone else.  if we play our cards right while everyone else is spending to the limit, we might be one of the 3 best teams with a comfortable cap situation next year, and that's when it's a real advantage to us.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 11, 2007, 11:40:54 AM

this year, we have cap room and so does everyone else.  if we play our cards right while everyone else is spending to the limit, we might be one of the 3 best teams with a comfortable cap situation next year, and that's when it's a real advantage to us.

That's what I was wondering about. The cap has increased quite a bit over the last few years I think because of CBA and TV deals, but will that level off? If it does those teams that really spend too much because they have a lot of room will have cap troubles over the next few years. If we save our cap for next year we could maybe have a better free agent group and also have less teams in the position to compete for those players.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 11, 2007, 11:41:04 AM

If there is anything I think what BucINT20 said gets towards the originators vibe....Allen knows there is a ton of jack. We might have a lot of room but still not get any top players or only land one and he might be doing a little tapping down of expectations becuase with this much money people are looking for a crazy shopping list and he knows we're unlikely to be able to land everything we might want to get.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

TEAMCALI

Starter

#20 : January 11, 2007, 11:46:15 AM

I say we trade alstott.... ....  j/k ..  I've heard some rumors via. foxsports.com .. that we could shop the second round pic that we got from the colts to the raiders for moss... they only want a third rounder for him..? but I don't want a moss/meshawn receiver back here in Tampa.. just a thought tho.. I mean maybe it wouldn't be so bad.. who knows.  I see one maybe two big FA.. and then sweep up in the draft... but what do I know..   whatever the case.... I trust the WAR room! GO BUCS [banghead]

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 11, 2007, 11:48:36 AM

I don't even see any big names I would want. Briggs is up there, but he will get more than we should spend on a LB. I don't really like Freeney either. He is just a pass rush threat for a high scoring team that forces the other team to play from behind. That's not the Bucs. We shouldn't spend cap on this weak free agency just to use our space.
I thought the whole premise of the cover 2 was to get a lead and force the pass? Freeney pass rush skill would be very welcomed here.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 11, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

you can't trade a free agent, and that's Alstott's status.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#23 : January 11, 2007, 12:13:22 PM

I thought the whole premise of the cover 2 was to get a lead and force the pass? Freeney pass rush skill would be very welcomed here.

That's what every defense wants. I'm just saying Freeney might not be the same pass rusher on this team because we don't outscore anybody like the Colts do. Freeney had kind of a down year with only 5.5 sacks, but the Colts only outscored their opponents by 67. In the previous two seasons when Freeney had 11 and 16 sacks, the Colts outscored their opponents by 192 and 171 points. There might be something to that.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#24 : January 11, 2007, 01:14:38 PM

I think gruden and allen will throw big money at some players, they know its their job on the line, they want to do everything to save it imo

nflinsider

Starter

#25 : January 11, 2007, 01:42:28 PM

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we will not be big players in the free agent market this year.  All i keep hearing from GM Bruce Allen is that "we will not spend cap room just to spend cap room"

I have a feeling he doesnt feel like many good players will be available.  He does say he has a list of QBs and that "We need pass rush"...

so it looks like DL will be a target.

However, I'm getting the feeling we will see an off-season similar to last years with a few minor additions thrown in.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but by the looks of his talking, it aint looking like a "REDSKINS offseason"

When you look at other teams, we somewhere in the middle of the pack interms of cap room. It's going to be a very competitive FA market. 

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#26 : January 11, 2007, 01:44:07 PM

I think the 49ers will get some of the big names with some huge contracts, they are only a few key players away from being in the playoffs

i think the bucs wil target a few FA's but mostly focus on the draft, hopefully this years will be better than last years

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 11, 2007, 05:23:42 PM

I'm with Champ.  I don't know what to expect.  I tried not to be disappointed with the blahness of last year's draft, but I kinda was.  Not that it was all that bad, but it wasn't the greatest either....I would hav e liked to see us take more impact players than fill in spots we needed.  I know that doesn't sound right.  But it was my personal wish...

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#28 : January 11, 2007, 05:44:31 PM

I think were gonna get some great players in Tampa this offseason, and it will be headlined by a new starting QB.

I've got this fuzzy feeling a guy named Donovan could be Tampa bound in a deal similiar to Culpepper's..

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 11, 2007, 07:15:48 PM

Briggs and Cle,ments would be the two I see the Bucs going after the hardest.  If Clements wants to much money then the Bucs should turn their attention to A. Samuel from the Pats.  Along with this the Bucs needto bring back White as well.  The Bucs need to sign a few big names, a few low levels, and use the draft to perfection.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is anyone else getting the feeling « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools