Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors starting to fly that the Glazers are short on dollar signs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 23, 2008, 02:13:07 PM

Can't they just get some more gold coins from the end of the rainbow?

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 23, 2008, 02:17:14 PM

Your first problem was taking anything literal you hear from WDUI.  They spew anything that makes the organization and FO look bad.  The reason why we are so far under the cap is because there was nobody to sign.  Our team is mixed with very young players and very old players.  The young players are still under their rookie deals and the very old players should not get a pay raise or contract extension.  

When the quality FA's start to hit the market the Bucs will sign them.  Until then they will save their money for their own FA's and sign the one or two players that can help the team.  If you think the Bucs are not out there getting the right players how do you explain the Faine signing?

they just will not pay starter money to a backup....

Orangegone1

Starter

#17 : December 23, 2008, 02:32:50 PM

http://www.goonersguide.com/read_news_item.php?newsID=77
They are paying a Hedge Fund over 14% interest? I would think it is hard to refinance or obtain alternative sources of funding right now.

Bucs Bowl

Starter

#18 : December 23, 2008, 02:33:18 PM

The two that were on this morning are fairly credible as far as I am concerned. Justin P and Darek S. don't spin or go out of their way like Dumb and Dumber and Little Dog... Some just love to hate!

#19 : December 23, 2008, 02:40:25 PM

There were good players in FA that we didnt go after.  Im pretty sure Jaren Allen would have come here had we paid more than Minnesota.  and by the way, our pass rush was the weakest part of the team this year...   add  his 14.5 sacks and we're probably a 13-3 team and a favorite to make the Super Bowl...   but GM Allen doesnt see it that way..  he'd rather hold on to his coveted draft picks, which he blows each year

Here is what Minnesota gave up for Allen:   The Vikings sent to the Chiefs a first round pick, which they used to select OT Branden Albert, and two third round picks and swapped sixth round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.   The Vikings then signed Allen to a six year contract.   Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings. The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 23, 2008, 02:53:54 PM

They were talking this morning on WDAE (take it for what it's worth) over rumors that the Bucs are again NOT going to make any big free agent signings. With the extremely expensive purchase of Manchester United combined with declining ticket sales and a bad economy, dont look for the Glazers to be in any hurry to sign big checks in the free agency. One of the guys sitting nearby me at the games said he bought his season tickets this past August. Which means there probably isnt that much of a waiting list left.

ESPN says the Bucs are projected to start the free agency in March $46 million under the Salary Cap. If we have another quiet free agency and offseason....we may have to start giving some credibility to these rumors.

THEY'VE been saying that for quite some time ... of course THEY'VE said that the team would be sold any day now for even longer ....  THEY don't have a clue what will or won't happen ...

blitz

Pro Bowler
#21 : December 23, 2008, 03:02:15 PM

The profits the Glazers make from the United will more that cover their debt load,  the Buc cap space if they choose to use it and all those empty seats you don't see every Sunday.   Besides, the NFL TV contract is a huge backstop to any NFL franchise.  

Somebody had a copy deadline to make.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 23, 2008, 03:10:16 PM

I disagree blitz.

I do not want to believe the Glazers have changed their stripes (need more evidence)but why would Gruden/Allen (if they return in 2009) hamstring themselves again when they could obtain free agents that could make impacts (eg Atlanta -Turner) that could propel this team deep into the playoffs?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 23, 2008, 03:20:06 PM

There were good players in FA that we didnt go after. Im pretty sure Jaren Allen would have come here had we paid more than Minnesota.  and by the way, our pass rush was the weakest part of the team this year...   add  his 14.5 sacks and we're probably a 13-3 team and a favorite to make the Super Bowl...   but GM Allen doesnt see it that way..  he'd rather hold on to his coveted draft picks, which he blows each year

Here is what Minnesota gave up for Allen:   The Vikings sent to the Chiefs a first round pick, which they used to select OT Branden Albert, and two third round picks and swapped sixth round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.   The Vikings then signed Allen to a six year contract.   Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings. The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million.

Your post has nothing at all to do with free agency.

And KC's draft pick was five spots higher than ours, so we would have had to have given up more than that.  Of course, I'll grant you that it looks like the team threw away their second round pick, but still.  There are cases I can understand critcizing Bruce for.  This isn't really one of them.  And I was one of the guys who was excited about the idea of the team adding Jared Allen.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 23, 2008, 03:21:02 PM

There were good players in FA that we didnt go after. Im pretty sure Jaren Allen would have come here had we paid more than Minnesota.  and by the way, our pass rush was the weakest part of the team this year...   add  his 14.5 sacks and we're probably a 13-3 team and a favorite to make the Super Bowl...   but GM Allen doesnt see it that way..  he'd rather hold on to his coveted draft picks, which he blows each year

Here is what Minnesota gave up for Allen:   The Vikings sent to the Chiefs a first round pick, which they used to select OT Branden Albert, and two third round picks and swapped sixth round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.   The Vikings then signed Allen to a six year contract.   Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings. The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million.

For all the money they gave him, he's probably going to be playing golf during the playoffs...lotta help he was huh...more boootayneess for the buck right..just spend it Bruce on some big name schmucks we'll win somehow then...LOL you guys make me laugh...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 23, 2008, 03:23:35 PM

They are spending $60 million a year on interest. They need to recoup that money somehow.

JoeyDaBuc

Second String

#26 : December 23, 2008, 03:26:44 PM

There were good players in FA that we didnt go after.  Im pretty sure Jaren Allen would have come here had we paid more than Minnesota.� and by the way, our pass rush was the weakest part of the team this year...� �add� his 14.5 sacks and we're probably a 13-3 team and a favorite to make the Super Bowl...� �but GM Allen doesnt see it that way..� he'd rather hold on to his coveted draft picks, which he blows each year

Here is what Minnesota gave up for Allen:� �The Vikings sent to the Chiefs a first round pick, which they used to select OT Branden Albert, and two third round picks and swapped sixth round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.� �The Vikings then signed Allen to a six year contract.� �Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings. The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million.

So......You would have given up a 1st round pick + 2  - 3rd picks + swapping 6th round picks ( from KC to TB slots is about 15-20 picks difference ) plus sign Allen to a BIG contract knowing he has 2 STRIKES AGAINST HIM with the NFL's substance abuse policy ????

I pray to God you never become GM of the Bucs !!!!

BucNGator

Starter

#27 : December 23, 2008, 03:29:38 PM

No, I'm saying he's a contracts man, probably to a fault.

That's probably a main reason he's here.  He won Executive of the year, just before the Glazers hired him.

Bruce's shrewdness is not being called into question.  Not spending money is more of a directive from above, IMO..... with nothing but my own observations to back me up.

Outside of Turner, there was not one a name in FA that we should have offered a contract..... (and at the time, we didn't need him) if you remember the parade of players in FA, it was a pretty disappointing list.

.......but when there are quotes in the paper about Monte's leaving, and how it will save a few FO jobs, you gotta start to see the reality that EVERYONE is holding tight to their money right now, and NFL clubs aren't an exception.

I'm waiting to see if it lasts more than a brief period.......  There's an uncapped year on the horizon, and the cheapskate clubs will struggle, unless they have a coach that can make chicken salad outta chicken droppings.  As luck would have it, we're already set!!! ;D

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 23, 2008, 03:34:48 PM

Any exposure to Madoff? 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 23, 2008, 03:36:54 PM

Outside of Turner, there was not one a name in FA that we should have offered a contract..... (and at the time, we didn't need him) if you remember the parade of players in FA, it was a pretty disappointing list.
That's up for debate whether the Bucs "needed" Turner. Sure, the Bucs had capable running backs on the roster, but so did the Falcons. None of the Bucs' running backs are or will ever be #2 in the NFL in rushing. It's like passing on Simeon Rice because the Bucs already had Chidi Ahanotu.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors starting to fly that the Glazers are short on dollar signs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools