Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Bucs will be players this offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: December 23, 2008, 08:30:06 PM

Neil in Richmond, VA, writes: In a truly remarkable turn of events, my Saints can do more than other team in the NFL to help Atlanta take the division title (including Atlanta itself, since they don't have to work nearly as hard as us to win on Sunday). I want desperately to win the game, for all the obvious reasons and a superstitious one besides: I'd love for the Falcons to sustain the NFC South curse against all odds. But if we do win it, we finish the season as the weakest team in the South in spite of a winning record. Should NFC South fans brace for similarly vicious competition next year? I'm not confident the Bucs are going to be great next year, but there seems to be good reason to believe other teams in the division will be better and not worse.

Pat Yasinskas: Yes, I think you can anticipate another very competitive year in the NFC South in 2009. Carolina and Atlanta aren't going to suddenly crumble and they have the potential to keep getting better. The Saints obviously have some flaws, but they're the kind that are fixable with some offseason wheeling and dealing. Plus, the Saints already have plenty of talent in a lot of places. I wouldn't write off the Bucs, even with their late-season problems. Yeah, they're losing Monte Kiffin, some defensive players are getting old and there are going to be major changes on offense. Jon Gruden isn't the type of coach to sit still, and I think the Bucs may make the biggest offseason splash of any team in the division.
[/b]

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-6-189/Mailbag--New-Orleans-edition.html

Jameson in College Park writes: Hey Pat, what do you think about the Bucs going after Matt Cassel in free agency? More importantly, I guess, have you heard anything about them doing so? I love Jeff Garcia, but when he gets banged up we seem to lose the games he misses, and he gets banged up a lot.

Pat Yasinskas: I think it's a possibility. Matt Cassel and Donovan McNabb probably will be the big-name quarterbacks available and I could see the Bucs going after either one. Let's face it, Jeff Garcia won't be back with the Bucs. He's old and there's bad blood because of what happened with him not getting a new contract and Jon Gruden's flirtation with Brett Favre. There will be a major move at quarterback in the offseason.

Frank in plantation writes: Hey Pat im interested in getting your opinion on the future of tampa bays quarterback situation. Do you think Garcia stays? is Griese or Mccown the answer? what about josh johnson? Would tampa make a push for a big name veteran? or something else?

Pat Yasinskas: We'll take the quarterback story line a little further. Again, Garcia will be gone. If they had any real hopes for Luke McCown, he would have been playing already, so it's safe to say he's not the answer. Brian Griese's fine as a backup. I'll say it again; look for the Bucs to go after Cassel or McNabb. My money would be on McNabb.

TD in Los Angeles writes: Hi Pat, seeing as how the Bucs knew the Super Bowl would be in Tampa this year, why didn't they load up on talent and make sure they have home field advantage for an appearance. I mean, the Bucs have a boat load of money under the cap and refuse to spend it, does that make any sense considering the above and the defense is getting older> Might as well go "all in" for one last hurrah!

Pat Yasinskas: That one was a thought provoker. As I thought about it, it suddenly hit me that the Bucs did try to do what you said. They went out and tried to get Brett Favre. No matter how much they try to downplay their interest, they were heavily involved in that one and came awfully close to getting Favre. They didn't close the deal. Consider that a lesson for the future. When they go after Cassel or McNabb, I'm going to guess that they aren't going to let the next quarterback get away.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-6-195/Mailbag--Tampa-Bay-edition.html

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 23, 2008, 09:04:17 PM

Favre might have worked out for us for a year, but wasn't worth the cost in the long haul, so the Packers demands for compensation killed the deal. Surely Yasinkas knows that.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 23, 2008, 09:18:02 PM

By having the benefit of seeing how the 2008 regular season played out, I am glad we didn't trade for Favre.  If we would have given up a 3rd for Favre, we wouldn't be any better off than the record we have now, so in retrospect it was a good move not getting him.  Favre isn't looking that good this year.  21 TDs(6 IN 1 GAME) and 19 interceptions.

Favre wouldn't have survived under our offensive line and we dont have the running game that the Jets had..

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 23, 2008, 10:07:16 PM

I wish we would have traded our #2 for Favre as then we wouldn't have nutted on the tin man pick in Dexter Jackson.  At least Favre, no matter how bad he plays or how old he is would have actually made some positive contribution.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 23, 2008, 10:13:29 PM

They went out and tried to get Brett Favre. No matter how much they try to downplay their interest, they were heavily involved in that one and came awfully close to getting Favre. They didn't close the deal.

He obviously doesn't read this board

OldBloodandBucs

Starter

#5 : December 23, 2008, 10:27:20 PM

I wish we would have traded our #2 for Favre as then we wouldn't have nutted on the tin man pick in Dexter Jackson. At least Favre, no matter how bad he plays or how old he is would have actually made some positive contribution.

Intriguing point but I still feel that the Favre trade would have been a mistake.

#6 : December 23, 2008, 10:32:58 PM

the more i think about it, the more i wanna see us make a run at Cassell.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 23, 2008, 10:44:36 PM

I agree that we will be players this offseason.  There will be some shake ups starting of course with a new DC and then moving from there.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 23, 2008, 10:50:15 PM

Cassell has a pro-bowl offense to work with!

He'd be worse than Dilfer here! He was beat out at USC by 2 QB's remind you, he's NOT the next Tom Brady...

When you guys are done with this Cassell man crush, be sure to remove his jock strap from your mouth...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 23, 2008, 10:54:20 PM

He'd be worse than Dilfer here! He was beat out at USC by 2 QB's remind you, he's NOT the next Tom Brady...

When you guys are done with this Cassell man crush, be sure to remove his jock strap from your mouth...

well said ... or maybe not

#10 : December 23, 2008, 11:01:09 PM

You do realize he's a major part of the probowl offense?

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 23, 2008, 11:02:10 PM

We should make a serious push for DMN5, let JJ11 learn from him AND workout together...

Hell, JJ11 would put on some muscle mass just from spotting DMN5 alone!

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 23, 2008, 11:06:03 PM

You do realize he's NOT a major factor for that...

#13 : December 23, 2008, 11:13:41 PM

You do realize he's NOT a major factor for that...

Dude, he's the one pulling the trigger. Give the guy a lil credit.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 23, 2008, 11:19:18 PM

I like Cassel, as well.  Don't think McNabb and his poor conditioning habits would work well here.  At least, I don't think he'd be willing to try it with Chicago and/or Minny in play.  I just wonder, how much more an upgrade Cassel is over McCown, I really have my doubts.  Randy Moss and Welker are 2 Pro Bowlers with a Pro Bowl studded  O-line as well.  I'd also take Josh McDaniels offense over Grudens, any day.  McCowns had 4 year of this O, I think it would take a young QB with no West Coast experience a couple of seasons to get it down, but I'd rather roll with Cassel than Griese/Garcia anytime. At least, we'd have something to look forward to.  As things stand, its a depressing situation.  It's absolutely sickening to think of our starter in '09 as Brian freakin' Griese.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Bucs will be players this offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools