Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Schottenheimer be out of a job on Monday? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: January 11, 2007, 02:58:24 PM

http://chargers.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/10/if-chargers-lose-sunday-marty-schottenheimer-will-get-fired-mon/

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 11, 2007, 02:59:45 PM

can you post the text? My work blocked this link for some reason. Thanks,

#2 : January 11, 2007, 03:04:02 PM

If Chargers Lose Sunday, Marty Schottenheimer Will Get Fired Monday

Posted Jan 10th 2007 7:49AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Chargers, AFC West, NFL Playoffs, NFL Coaching
There's been a bit of speculation about this, but John Czarnecki of Fox Sports is the first person I've seen state it this bluntly:

It may seem insane for those close to Marty Schottenheimer to hear this, but if Bill Belichick and the Patriots come to San Diego and stuff L.T. and beat the Chargers you can bet the mortgage that Schottenheimer will be unemployed next Monday.

Schottenheimer is coaching for his job this weekend. Is that fair? Can you really fire a coach after his team was the best in the league during the regular season? I think it is fair. The fact is, Schottenheimer has allowed his relationship with the Chargers brass -- especially general manager A.J. Smith -- to deteriorate to the point where he has no margin for error.

A Schottenheimer firing would have ripple effects throughout the league. For one thing, offensive coordinator Cam Cameron would be the most likely successor. Cameron has been mentioned as a candidate for just about every opening, so every team considering him would have to look elsewhere. But more importantly, a Schottenheimer firing would put him on the open market. Would the Dolphins want him? The Steelers? Might a team like the Browns decide to fire its coach to get Schottenheimer? With this storyline, an already great Chargers-Patriots game is getting a little more intriguing.

#3 : January 11, 2007, 03:11:35 PM

Funny...This season for the Chargers was actually the closest that there has been to an undefeated season that the there has been in the NFL maybe all the way back to '72.  The Chargers did lose early in the season, but it was only two games, by a total of 6 points.

Both games, they led or were tied in the fourth quarter.

It would be hard to justify a Schottenheimer firing IMO, even considering his deteriorating relationship to the ownership.  What did he do wrong?  Lose to the Pats?

We'll see.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 11, 2007, 03:14:21 PM

What did he do wrong?  Lose to the Pats?

Same thing Tony Dungy did wrong, not get his team over the top. It was good enough here it'll work in SD just like it did in KC.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 11, 2007, 03:17:05 PM

Funny...This season for the Chargers was actually the closest that there has been to an undefeated season that the there has been in the NFL maybe all the way back to '72.

1998 Minnesota Vikings went 15-1 in the regular season. You already know who the one loss was to...

#6 : January 11, 2007, 03:23:01 PM

What did he do wrong?  Lose to the Pats?

Same thing Tony Dungy did wrong, not get his team over the top. It was good enough here it'll work in SD just like it did in KC.

I'm not saying it won't happen.  I think that the Dungy firing was forseeable.  Dungy never had a season like the one that Schottenheimer's had this year, though.

I just think if the Charger play a solid game and lose, the ownership will have to look at just what they can sell to their public: Marty Schottenheimer leads the team to its best record ever, gets fired.

It will be an argument they can make if the old Marty rears his head in this game on Sunday, but I really do think that he's learned a lesson on this; if they lose this game, it will be because the Pats made Rivers make mistakes, not because of Marty.

Also, Marty's (easier to type than Schottenhe--forget it) trajectory in San Diego hasn't flatlined quite like Dungy's did at the end here.

But, hey, I can definitely see the other side...and part of being a good employee is maintaining a good relationship with the boss.  If Marty's out, though, how long will he last on the market?  He's not fresh meat, but he's got the track record.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 11, 2007, 03:23:16 PM

It would be hard to justify a Schottenheimer firing

Hell no it wouldn't. Like Dal said, he's the Dungy of the AFC and has been for years.  

#8 : January 11, 2007, 03:25:45 PM

Funny...This season for the Chargers was actually the closest that there has been to an undefeated season that the there has been in the NFL maybe all the way back to '72.

1998 Minnesota Vikings went 15-1 in the regular season. You already know who the one loss was to...

Yeah, that was sweet.  Forgot that one.  I do think that this is a better Chargers team, though.  Which I guess would be an argument for Marty's firing if he loses this game.

#9 : January 11, 2007, 03:28:49 PM

It would be hard to justify a Schottenheimer firing

Hell no it wouldn't. Like Dal said, he's the Dungy of the AFC and has been for years.  

I think Schottenheimer has learned some lessons this year, though.

I guess that's sort of contradicting my own argument, though:  If he's learned his lesson, he won't lose.

The problem for Marty is that the Patriots can still beat anybody on any given Sunday.

This and the Saints/Eagles are my games to watch.  And Ravens/Colts.  Also Seahawks/Bears.

In that order.  ;)  The games are all good this time of year.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 11, 2007, 03:49:45 PM

That seems like a really bad idea even though we have set a precedent for it.  I know we fired Dungy for not winning the Superbowl, but we were an aging team and it needed to happen immmediately if it was going to happen. 

The Chargers are a different team.  Their core is young.  LT, Rivers, McNeil, Merriman, Williams etc. are all in ther early to mid 20's.  Rivers is playing especially well.  Why would you want to change his offensive system after his first season playing when everything is going well? 

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#11 : January 11, 2007, 03:58:16 PM

The Chargers will win this weekend anyway, making the answer no at least as far as the date.

#12 : January 11, 2007, 05:03:26 PM

If the Chargers lose? Bill is going to San Diego and will be taking Marty's lunch money and pride...and...apparently...his job as well.

Marty might be a good coach...but he lacks cojones. LT has been saving this guy's job for a good couple of years now.

You Got BUCd Up

Second String

#13 : January 11, 2007, 05:28:40 PM

keeponbucn - just use www.ctunnel.com, CTunnel is here to protect your anonymity online! Browse the web through our server to get past pesky url or ip based filters!

Sorry, just realized I was a bit late with that...

Anyways, it's there for future reference...

"People make themselves out to be idiots... I'm just here to help them realize it."

Hallelujah holla back...

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 11, 2007, 05:50:34 PM

Is there anyone here who would put hard cash up to say the Pats will lose?

I wouldn't. Not as long is BB is coaching.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Schottenheimer be out of a job on Monday? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools