Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Focus: QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#15 : December 29, 2008, 02:22:29 AM

Again like I said, unless that call comes from the owners, I really don't see us drafting a QB this offseason. Remember too, Flacco and Ryan are the exception, not the rule.

larstate

Practice Squad

#16 : December 29, 2008, 10:46:33 AM

Getting Cassel or Derek Anderson wouldn't help them much.  We need a franchise QB, someone they can hang their hat of success on.  Keeping Garcia, Griese and McCown won't translate to wins.  Gruden will continue to recycle the same mediocre reclamation projects year in and year out.  The man is stubborn when it comes to personnel and he's only begun to be a better evaluator when injuries affect the team (i.e. Graham).  Alex Smith shouldn't even be mentioned since he more than likely won't suit up again because of his shoulder.  I think Hasselbeck could be a nice pickup and a bridge to whomever the Bucs decide to draft as their QB of the future.  Heck, McNabb is a great option as well.  Bulger actually signed a huge extension and would cost quite a bit to land him.  Plus, the guy is a statue back there.  You can forget T.J. Houshmanzadeh and/or Asomugha.  They'll both be tagged and the Bucs can't afford to pay that asking price.  They need to rebuild through the draft as well as free agency.   Look, I don't know if Josh Johnson is the answer, but if the Bucs had the opportunity to land a Matt Stafford, they should pay that asking price to move up the draft.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 29, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Starter: Matt Hasselbeck-His cap charge for 2009 will rise to over 9 million.  With a new coach and clean slate, the Seahawks could say goodbye to the 33 year old, in which I say we add him.  McNabb and Cassel aren’t going anywhere so just forget about that.  As for Bulger, the guy can’t get anything accomplished with the weapons in St. Louis and you want him in Tampa?  Yikes.

Back-up: Trade a mid-to-late round pick (5th rounder?) for Alex Smith from SF.  He is only 24 and his cap charge for 2009 will go to 12 million.  We can restructure his deal and who knows maybe we can get good karma since they got Steve Young from us.

3rd string-keep Josh Johnson.

Release Griese and let McCown and Garcia walk.  If we can’t get a veteran like Hasselbeck then I say keep Garcia around as insurance.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#18 : December 29, 2008, 12:50:40 PM

Getting Cassel or Derek Anderson wouldn't help them much. We need a franchise QB, someone they can hang their hat of success on. Keeping Garcia, Griese and McCown won't translate to wins. Gruden will continue to recycle the same mediocre reclamation projects year in and year out. The man is stubborn when it comes to personnel and he's only begun to be a better evaluator when injuries affect the team (i.e. Graham). Alex Smith shouldn't even be mentioned since he more than likely won't suit up again because of his shoulder. I think Hasselbeck could be a nice pickup and a bridge to whomever the Bucs decide to draft as their QB of the future. Heck, McNabb is a great option as well. Bulger actually signed a huge extension and would cost quite a bit to land him. Plus, the guy is a statue back there. You can forget T.J. Houshmanzadeh and/or Asomugha. They'll both be tagged and the Bucs can't afford to pay that asking price. They need to rebuild through the draft as well as free agency. Look, I don't know if Josh Johnson is the answer, but if the Bucs had the opportunity to land a Matt Stafford, they should pay that asking price to move up the draft.
McNabb is not going to be available, move on. Bulger signed the extension after 2006 I believe, when the team thought they were going up. Since then he has had no offensive line and his supporting cast has been very weak. Jackson has been in and out of the lineup and outside of Holt he has had no legit target. I don't think Bulger's mobility will be bad at all, and atleast he won't have happy feet and miss open recievers because of it. Like I keep saying, the Bucs will not draft a QB unless the call comes from above Gruden and Allen. I would love to land Bradford or Stafford, but it isn't happening.

Badabing: Bulger accomplished a lot when he had an offensive line and a consistent running game. The guy the past couple years he has had no supporting cast and his offensive line keeps changing week to week. Bulger is a prime candidate to breakout in a new surrounding.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 29, 2008, 12:52:16 PM

ts..thats just it though..we dont have a consistant running game or offensive line...

Bulger here wouldnt be good

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#20 : December 29, 2008, 12:55:53 PM

ts..thats just it though..we dont have a consistant running game or offensive line...

Bulger here wouldnt be good
We have a lot better offensive line than STL had in the time he was bad. We also had a very good running game when EG was healthy. I think the running game will be much imprved next year when he is back and when we have hopefully added another back to go with him and Caddy.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 29, 2008, 12:57:54 PM

if there is a man child at the QB position in the draft, someone who can come in learn quick then thats who you take in the draft.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#22 : December 29, 2008, 01:00:47 PM

if there is a man child at the QB position in the draft, someone who can come in learn quick then thats who you take in the draft.
Yeah because those are often available at the 19th pick.

I'm not even going to bother explaining why we aren't going to draft a QB again.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Focus: QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools