Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refresh my memory - why didnt we sign Thomas Jones after the 2003 season? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

LFO

Hall of Famer

: January 01, 2009, 06:45:31 PM

TJ signed just after midnight pretty much.  He did not want to share with Pittman.

If you want to complain we kept Pittman over TJ, fine (although Pittman was coming off a 1400 total yard season and TJ was a bust in AZ and had a few good games here).  But Garner was NOT the reason we let TJ go.  Really, I think it was all TJ...he was done here and wanted to go be "the man."  He knew with Pittman here that wouldn't happen. Not to mention, everyone's favorite overrated Alstott.  
He rightly knew he was better than Pittman, Garner, and Alstott. As has often been the case, Gruden is more comfortable with mediocre depth than front line star players.

Was Garner on this roster when TJ signed?  No.  He was signed after TJ left, as we needed someone.  Garner is irrelevant to TJ leaving.

What had TJ shown in 4 years that he was worth a damn?  He got ran out of Arizona for chrissakes.  So, because he had a few good games he was supposed to replace Pittman who had a 1400 total yard season?

TJ didn't want to stay and "earn" PT.  He wanted to go where he could get money and a starting job.  Hey, i don't blame him, why work for it when you can get it for nothing?  And then, again, when Chicago drafted a RB to replace/share time with him, what did he do?  Wanted to run away again.  

TJ leaving was on TJ...not on Gruden, Allen, or anyone else.  

fishman

Starter

#1 : January 01, 2009, 01:53:06 PM

I went and looked up this guy's stats today (after seeing him comment about B Favre). This guy has been a horse the last 5 years averaging above 1100 yards a season, plenty of touchdowns, a decent receiving back and durable as all get out (starts no less than 14 games 5 years in a row). Why did we not keep him? I know the Bucs didnt have a lot of cap room back then and didn't want to overpay. But is this not just another example of this team making bad personnel moves the last 5/6 years? Sure McKay screwed our cap up to win a Super Bowl but at least we won with his moves. Where are we at right now? 50 million under the cap and more needs on this team in as long as I can remember... And on a side note, I like a player not intimidated to speak out on record and say what he feels about Brett Favre. Good for him. That shows leadership off the field alongside his great on the field play. Reasonable to say BA and JG whiffed on that one yet again.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#2 : January 01, 2009, 01:58:49 PM

because he's not very good

we have much better running backs right now, ones that we wouldn't have had if we resigned him...so yeah, it's a good thing he's not on the bucs anymore

#3 : January 01, 2009, 01:59:35 PM

because Chucky wanted a banged up Charlie Garner...... YUK!!!!

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#4 : January 01, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

Because the Bears over paid for his services and then traded him to the Jets

fishman

Starter

#5 : January 01, 2009, 02:02:29 PM

we have much better running backs right now, ones that we wouldn't have had if we resigned him...so yeah, it's a good thing he's not on the bucs anymore
ur kidding right? 1500 total yards this year and 15 touchdowns. In case you missed it, he's the reason why the Jets were good this year, not Brett Favre. Call me when a Bucs RB gets 1500 total yards and 15 touchdowns. I don't even think Ricky Bell put up those kind of numbers.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

#6 : January 01, 2009, 02:03:53 PM

If I recall correctly, we gave more $$ to Garner

fishman

Starter

#7 : January 01, 2009, 02:04:24 PM

they didnt overpay him. They bought him in to back up Anthony Thomas. He did so well right off the bat they started him.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 01, 2009, 02:05:38 PM

Believe Jones signed a minute or so after 12. He took the money and ran.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#9 : January 01, 2009, 02:06:27 PM

Believe Jones signed a minute or so after 12. He took the money and ran.

Unc, if we wanted him, he'd have never made it to free agency.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#10 : January 01, 2009, 02:25:40 PM

ur kidding right? 1500 total yards this year and 15 touchdowns. In case you missed it, he's the reason why the Jets were good this year, not Brett Favre. Call me when a Bucs RB gets 1500 total yards and 15 touchdowns. I don't even think Ricky Bell put up those kind of numbers.

The Jeta have a top 3 o-line, especially in run blocking since they got faneca..on all of jones's big runs he didn't get touched for the first 7 yards or so

Would jones have gotten 1500 yards and 15 td's under our o-line?? Not a chance.

fishman

Starter

#11 : January 01, 2009, 02:09:53 PM

Overpaid, I dont think so.

Barring any hangups, Jones will sign a four-year contract worth approximately $10 million and with a signing bonus of about $3.5 million. Sources close to Jones confirmed early Wednesday morning he was en route to Chicago to meet with Bears officials and examine the contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1749929

My point is this, its another example of how awful BA/JG examine talent. Here they have a guy ON THEIR TEAM who starts 3 games, averages 4.6 yards a carry and they decide not to pay him 2.5 million. The guy goes on for five more years to average about 1300 total yards a season and ten touchdowns for two different teams. One team he helps get to a Super Bowl. We keep this guy and we don't spend (I wont use the word waste for now) a top 5 draft pick on Cadillac Williams. And we solidfy a critical offensive weapon spot on this team. A spot that still to this day, five years later, remains a mess. BA/JG don't know talent even when it's on their OWN team.

#12 : January 01, 2009, 02:13:12 PM

Meanwhile, we take an old guy fresh off the operating table and give him more $$ than TJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1754974

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#13 : January 01, 2009, 02:31:58 PM

they didnt overpay him. They bought him in to back up Anthony Thomas. He did so well right off the bat they started him.

Maybe didn't overpay him but they sure as heck traded him to the Jets...My point it yeah he has good stats but I don't think he's all that.

fishman

Starter

#14 : January 01, 2009, 02:54:18 PM

Maybe didn't overpay him but they sure as heck traded him to the Jets...My point it yeah he has good stats but I don't think he's all that.
Um no, the Bears traded T. Jones because they just drafted Cedric Benson the year before (the same year we drafted Cadillac). T. Jones requested a trade because he didn't want to split time and Chicago agreed because they felt they were ready to feature their great draft pick, Cedric Benson. Anyone know what C. Benson's doing right now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788962

B&B - first of all Faneca started with the Jets this year. T Jones has gotten over 1100 yards the last 3 years there. And then he did the same in Chicago too. He managed to stay healthy five seasons in a row  Do you see those stats 1184 YARDS AVERAGE FOR FIVE YEARS. That doesnt even include receiving yards out of the backfield on screens, etc... And he did for 2 different teams. He averaged 4.6 yards a carry over 3 starts for US. And we let him go for Charlie Garner!!!! B&B - answer me this. How many Bucs players in history have run for more yards in a season than T. Jones 1312 this year?

Look - I'm not Thomas Jones agent. I'm just trying to make the point that this was yet another bad personnel move by TB. Looks like some of you are as stubborn as John Gruden to admit a MISTAKE when you see one. How many examples do we need of company mismangement before we decide to cut our losses?

Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refresh my memory - why didnt we sign Thomas Jones after the 2003 season? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools