Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refresh my memory - why didnt we sign Thomas Jones after the 2003 season? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12

#165 : January 05, 2009, 09:45:07 PM

Never once did i say it was an exact science.... what I will say is the job of GruAllen to replinish this team with young talent and dammitt, i'm tired of waiting.

And for all the coaches you listed that have "misses", they also have hit a "homerun" or two. Can we hit a double, please?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#166 : January 05, 2009, 09:50:19 PM

Never once did i say it was an exact science.... what I will say is the job of GruAllen to replinish this team with young talent and dammitt, i'm tired of waiting.

And for all the coaches you listed that have "misses", they also have hit a "homerun" or two. Can we hit a double, please?

We have some young talent.  I do agree we could use a little more.  Hopefully we can sign a good FA or 3, and have a good draft this year. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#167 : January 05, 2009, 10:03:17 PM

I'm not talking Kiper or Mayock board.

I am talking about each team's board. 

So, you could say 6 of the top 10 were busts easily, a couple decent players and ,maybe 1 superstar.

So all those teams suck too?  Or is it just that it is extremely hard to evaluate college players and how well they will transition to the NFL?

If it is as easy as you think it is, why aren't the best players ALWAYS selected first, followed by the next best and so on? 

Perhaps it is just a little bit harder than you and some around here think.

We are not the only team to miss on draft picks....NEWSFLASH, when Dungy was coach we did as well.  Believe it or not, Belichick does as well.  Parcells missed quite often.  Gibbs did.  Every team, coach, staff, scouting department misses picks.  It's the draft.  It's a crapshoot. 

Speaking of scouts, the one who said it was a good idea to draft Dexter Jackson should be fired. 
So if you're using the "everybody's doing it" excuse, why do teams pay their own scouts? If all you have to do to do a good job drafting is go with the flow of who everyone else thought would be a good pick, then the Glazers could just buy Mel Kiper's draft guide and trim a couple million off their bottom line. Let's think back to when the Bucs used to be the ones making other teams look stupid. 1995. After a stellar college career, Derrick Brooks slips to pick #28 amidst concerns he's not big enough to play linebacker in the NFL. If you're a fan of the Falcons, Dolphins, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, or Saints, aren't you pretty pissed your team took Devin Bush, Billy Milner, Rashaan Salaam, Luther Elliss, James Stewart, and Mark Fields instead? Don't you want to know why your scouts didn't see what the Bucs scouts saw in Brooks?

By the way, it's not always on the head coach, as much as you and some others would make it out to be.  Like when Gruden wanted Westbrook and McKay overruled him......
So how many years has Gruden had to fix this?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#168 : January 05, 2009, 10:11:15 PM

I'm not talking Kiper or Mayock board.

I am talking about each team's board. 

So, you could say 6 of the top 10 were busts easily, a couple decent players and ,maybe 1 superstar.

So all those teams suck too?  Or is it just that it is extremely hard to evaluate college players and how well they will transition to the NFL?

If it is as easy as you think it is, why aren't the best players ALWAYS selected first, followed by the next best and so on? 

Perhaps it is just a little bit harder than you and some around here think.

We are not the only team to miss on draft picks....NEWSFLASH, when Dungy was coach we did as well.  Believe it or not, Belichick does as well.  Parcells missed quite often.  Gibbs did.  Every team, coach, staff, scouting department misses picks.  It's the draft.  It's a crapshoot. 

Speaking of scouts, the one who said it was a good idea to draft Dexter Jackson should be fired. 
So if you're using the "everybody's doing it" excuse, why do teams pay their own scouts? If all you have to do to do a good job drafting is go with the flow of who everyone else thought would be a good pick, then the Glazers could just buy Mel Kiper's draft guide and trim a couple million off their bottom line. Let's think back to when the Bucs used to be the ones making other teams look stupid. 1995. After a stellar college career, Derrick Brooks slips to pick #28 amidst concerns he's not big enough to play linebacker in the NFL. If you're a fan of the Falcons, Dolphins, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, or Saints, aren't you pretty pissed your team took Devin Bush, Billy Milner, Rashaan Salaam, Luther Elliss, James Stewart, and Mark Fields instead? Don't you want to know why your scouts didn't see what the Bucs scouts saw in Brooks?

By the way, it's not always on the head coach, as much as you and some others would make it out to be.  Like when Gruden wanted Westbrook and McKay overruled him......
So how many years has Gruden had to fix this?

What the hell are you talking about here?

Did I say everyone goes off of Kiper?

And, the Bucs have looked stupid many times before Gruden got here. 

Did the Bucs see something great in Brooks or was he the BAP when they picked?  You are assuming he was rated much lower than they picked and we reached on him.  Given so many teams passe don him, it further reinforces my point that it is extremely difficult to evaluate college talent.  YOU ARE GOING TO MISS.  You act like we nailed every pick before Gruden got here.  You act like we are the only team drafting players who don't pan out. 

What I am saying is, I am willing to bet most teams scouts rate guys about the same, give or take a few spots...and some teams will drop a guy off for character or other concerns.  I didn't say they all go off Kiper, Mayock, or anyone else.  Although, given most of those "scouts" or evaluators have similar "boards" it goes to further make my point that the "boards" for each team are probably fairly similar.

What this all has to do with the greatness that is Thomas Jones is beyond me. 

I'll stand by the point that I believe at the time, Cadillac was likely the BAP on most teams board when we took him.  Obviously we will never know for sure, but taking him at that time was NOT a bad pick.  You can cry and whine we should have taken this guy or that NOW, but at the time he was as good of a pick as any.  He was highly rated by a LOT of people, and many teams probably had him BAP at that time.  The guy a lot of Bucs fans wanted was Mike Williams, who was even worse. 

I guess the Bucs should just hire YOU and fire everyone else, since you are so great. 
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Refresh my memory - why didnt we sign Thomas Jones after the 2003 season? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools