Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5-0 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
: January 01, 2009, 09:25:08 PM

congrats Pac-10!

3 of the 5 games the team beat a higher ranked team, and the other game (Cal UM) was unranked teams. Way to man up and  keep many haters quite until next year.

LFO

Hall of Famer

5-0
#1 : January 01, 2009, 09:38:24 PM

congrats Pac-10!

3 of the 5 games the team beat a higher ranked team, and the other game (Cal UM) was unranked teams. Way to man up and  keep many haters quite until next year.

They did what they were supposed to do.  Let's look at the wins:

USC was > PSU, everyone knew it.  They were 10 point favorites.

AZ beat BYU.  Ok, I'll give them a little credit here...but even you were screaming BYU overrated all year.  Again though, AZ was 3.5 point Favorite, not a dog. 

Cal beat Miami.  Again, 10.5 point favorite, and didn't cover.  The game started at 7 points and moved that much.  Everyone knew this was going to happen.

Oregon beat OK St.  Ok, the only game an underdog won.  Even then, it started 3.5 and was a pickem on many books at kickoff.  This was probably the best win, but as you even said, "book it."

Oregon State beat Pitt.  Oregon was favored by 1, won 3-0.  Yay!  Huge win. 

So, yes, PAC 10 did go 5-0, and that is impressive.  But really they were favorable matchups in all but 1 game, and that one was a toss up.  They did what they were supposed to do.

I think LSU beating GT (destroying them more like it) as a 5 point dog and Vandy beating ACC runner up BC as a 5.5 dog were much more impressive. 

It's not about haters.  Outside of USC, Pac10 didn't do anything this year...no dominant teams.  What was their record against the MWC again?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
5-0
#2 : January 01, 2009, 09:45:23 PM

Really, Oregon's win over Oklahoma State was the only impressive win for me.

USC should have crushed Penn St.
Oregon State's win over Pitt definitely wasn't very impressive.
Arizona over BYU...OK...
California should have beaten Miami.  That was basically a home game facing a true Freshman QB starting his second game.

But, it's true.  5-0 is a good showing the Pac-10 no matter how you slice it.  Congrats.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#3 : January 01, 2009, 09:48:31 PM

OSU/Pitt was a toss up. 2 of their best players were out. They had to beg one player whos mom is dying to fly back from Florida to play.

Again it easily could have gone 2-3.

Oregon will finish the year between 10-12. And if Masoli had more time, they probably were a 1 loss team this year.

The pac-10 got better when the year went on, teams like Oregon, OSU, Arizona, got better as the year went on.

I knew Oregon would win, because the matchup IMO came down to coaching and Oregon had the edge.

It wasnt as bad as some think. USC on a neutral field probably has a 50/50 chance beating Florida and Oklahoma.

Just gotta give props to a conference that got ripped, they took care of business. Next year they should have 4 preseason top 25 teams.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#4 : January 01, 2009, 09:49:32 PM

Arizona over BYU...OK...
California should have beaten Miami. �That was basically a home game facing a true Freshman QB starting his second game.

But, it's true. �5-0 is a good showing the Pac-10 no matter how you slice it. �Congrats.

OSU win over Pitt was boring, crap game. But Rodgers brothers were out. Take 2 of your best players off any team its a good win

USC did crush Penn State, score wasnt an indication of the game

LFO

Hall of Famer

5-0
#5 : January 01, 2009, 09:57:58 PM

Arizona over BYU...OK...
California should have beaten Miami. �That was basically a home game facing a true Freshman QB starting his second game.

But, it's true. �5-0 is a good showing the Pac-10 no matter how you slice it. �Congrats.

OSU win over Pitt was boring, crap game. But Rodgers brothers were out. Take 2 of your best players off any team its a good win

They were still favored.  Imagine if they were in there.  Bottom line, it was a game they should win. 

Again, the 5-0 is impressive, not saying that.  I just think you saying 3 teams were ranked higher is a little bogus.  In reality, they were favored in 4 of the games and a tossup in the other.  But, you have to do what you are supposed to do, and they did.  Props to that. 

I wish they would change up the tie ins, or get rid of them altogether.  I think the Pac10 has some favorable ones.  I'd like to see PAC10 vs. SEC, more BIG12 vs. SEC, etc.  Really, they should use different methods for picking the teams rather than just slotted conference spots.  Also, I do know some games have teams higher in one conference vs. lower in another.  I know Peach for instance matches up like 5th SEC vs. 3rd ACC. 

Also of not that I found interesting with regard to the SEC Defense and Big 12 Offense argument is that through their 4 bowl game, SEC defenses are holding their opponents to 12 points under their season average.  Big 12 offense are scoring 9 fewer. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#6 : January 01, 2009, 10:13:49 PM

Arizona over BYU...OK...

They were still favored.  Imagine if they were in there.  Bottom line, it was a game they should win. 

Again, the 5-0 is impressive, not saying that.  I just think you saying 3 teams were ranked higher is a little bogus.  In reality, they were favored in 4 of the games and a tossup in the other.  But, you have to do what you are supposed to do, and they did.  Props to that. 

I wish they would change up the tie ins, or get rid of them altogether.  I think the Pac10 has some favorable ones.  I'd like to see PAC10 vs. SEC, more BIG12 vs. SEC, etc.  Really, they should use different methods for picking the teams rather than just slotted conference spots.  Also, I do know some games have teams higher in one conference vs. lower in another.  I know Peach for instance matches up like 5th SEC vs. 3rd ACC. 

Also of not that I found interesting with regard to the SEC Defense and Big 12 Offense argument is that through their 4 bowl game, SEC defenses are holding their opponents to 12 points under their season average.  Big 12 offense are scoring 9 fewer. 

I know Bellotti would love to do home and home with SEC as would almost everyone. Bellotti said only teams to agree was Tenn, and Georgia and some rumors are Georgia may bail. I think pac-10 teams want to play other conferences in regular seasons and try to do so accordingly but being out west its hard to get teams to do it. And with a Pac-10 commish that thinks El Paso is a good bowl city, bowls wont change.

Id love for a bowl out east in florida, but other pac-10 schools need to man up and their base needs to travel...

I personally think the Holiday is a great bowl for the Pac-10... but thats about it.

LFO

Hall of Famer

5-0
#7 : January 02, 2009, 08:44:27 PM

SEC 2 more "dog" wins today with Ole Miss thrashing TT as a 5 point dog, and Kentucky beating early Cinderella ECU as a 3 point dog. 

Of course, now 10 point favorite Bama is down 14-0 to Utah.......

But still, I am impressed with SEC wins so far, LSU, Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky all winning as underdogs, in some cases heavy.  Georgia covered and only SC looked like crap...although I am starting to think right now Iowa is the best Big11 team. 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

5-0
#8 : January 02, 2009, 10:59:50 PM

Yes 5-0 is a good mark for the PAC 10 but I dont understand all the radio heads screaming how "I guess the Pac 10 isn't overrated".

How does going 5-0 in bowl games make you not overrated? Quality of opponents doesnt mean anything in bowl games, just whether or not you win?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#9 : January 03, 2009, 01:37:21 AM

Yes 5-0 is a good mark for the PAC 10 but I dont understand all the radio heads screaming how "I guess the Pac 10 isn't overrated".

How does going 5-0 in bowl games make you not overrated? Quality of opponents doesnt mean anything in bowl games, just whether or not you win?

Oregon State played Utah on the road 20 times better then a neutral field Bama team

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#10 : January 03, 2009, 01:49:24 AM

SEC 2 more "dog" wins today with Ole Miss thrashing TT as a 5 point dog, and Kentucky beating early Cinderella ECU as a 3 point dog. 

But still, I am impressed with SEC wins so far, LSU, Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky all winning as underdogs, in some cases heavy.  Georgia covered and only SC looked like crap...although I am starting to think right now Iowa is the best Big11 team. 

OSU>Bama vs Utah.

Pac-10 maybe sold a bit short, now? OSU gave the Utah game away on the road.

LFO

Hall of Famer

5-0
#11 : January 03, 2009, 10:49:56 AM

OSU>Bama vs Utah.

No.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#12 : January 03, 2009, 02:09:35 PM

OSU>Bama vs Utah.

No.

well if Bama is the 2nd team in the SEC

And OSU 3rd... and OSU played Utah a lot better

Either your saying the SEC wasnt very deep or Pac-10 sold a bit short

LFO

Hall of Famer

5-0
#13 : January 03, 2009, 02:21:21 PM

OSU>Bama vs Utah.

No.

LOL

If only it worked that way.

So, are you saying ole Miss is better than Texas?  They crushed Texas Tech (basically a home game for TT) and TT beat Texas......

Really, outside of the BCSNCG, all of these are glorified exhibition games.  It's hard to make anything out of them.  If one thing is clear, so far, the underdogs have won a lot.  Why is that?  Are they playing harder, more happy to be there?  I don't know. 

But to say that since Oregon State played better vs. Utah months ago means that they are better than Alabama is a huge stretch.  If OSU was that good, they wouldn't have been playing in the NobodyCares.com bowl (and "winning" 3-0) in the first place.

SEC is obviously deep, or they wouldn't have 8 bowl teams and Pac10 5.....the worst SEC bowl team (Vandy) beat the ACC runner up.  LSU who was mediocre in SEC play crushed the highest ranked ACC team in GT.  Georgia took out probably the Big11 team playing best right now.  Ole Miss crushed 1 loss TT who beat Texas.  Sure, Bama was disappointing, but watching that game, it was NOT the same Bama team that played Dec. 6. 

If you match up the top Pac10 teams against top SEC teams, I am willing to bet SEC would win most.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

5-0
#14 : January 03, 2009, 02:25:56 PM

OSU>Bama vs Utah.

No.

LOL

If only it worked that way.

So, are you saying ole Miss is better than Texas?  They crushed Texas Tech (basically a home game for TT) and TT beat Texas......

Really, outside of the BCSNCG, all of these are glorified exhibition games.  It's hard to make anything out of them.  If one thing is clear, so far, the underdogs have won a lot.  Why is that?  Are they playing harder, more happy to be there?  I don't know. 

But to say that since Oregon State played better vs. Utah months ago means that they are better than Alabama is a huge stretch.  If OSU was that good, they wouldn't have been playing in the NobodyCares.com bowl (and "winning" 3-0) in the first place.

SEC is obviously deep, or they wouldn't have 8 bowl teams and Pac10 5.....the worst SEC bowl team (Vandy) beat the ACC runner up.  LSU who was mediocre in SEC play crushed the highest ranked ACC team in GT.  Georgia took out probably the Big11 team playing best right now.  Ole Miss crushed 1 loss TT who beat Texas.  Sure, Bama was disappointing, but watching that game, it was NOT the same Bama team that played Dec. 6. 

If you match up the top Pac10 teams against top SEC teams, I am willing to bet SEC would win most.

Ole Miss may be better... Big 12 looks overrated.

Im not saying the Pac-10 is better state where I said that... I said your selling the pac-10 short.

I did say the Big 12 was better a few weeks ago... but I change my mind during the bowls its the SEC

But the Pac-10 isnt garbage... and Utah isnt now underrated because they beat Bama

Utah=OSU

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5-0 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools