Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darnell Dockett signs extention « previous next »
Page: 1

coopsxx

Starter
: October 14, 2006, 04:27:09 AM

Maybe the best free agent DT to be. H would have been an RFA

CARDS START SPENDING CAP ROOM

The Arizona Cardinals have commenced the process of burning up cap room by signing defensive tackle Darnell Dockett to a five-year extension with $7 million in bonuses paid between now and March 2007.  Per a league source, the contract has recently been completed and will be formally announced in the near future.

In order to chew up some remaining 2006 cap space, Dockett gets a roster bonus of $3.5 million within the next few days.  He gets another $3.5 million roster bonus on the first day of the 2007 league year.

Under the new contract, Dockett also is scheduled to receive salaries of $510,000 in 2007, $3.25 million in 2008, $3.5 million in 2009, $3.75 million in 2010, and $4 million in 2011.  His salary for 2006 of $425,000 is unchanged by the new contract.

The total value of the contract is $22 million over five years.

Dockett was a third-round draft pick of the Cardinals in 2004.  He signed a three-year rookie contract, and would have been a restricted free agent in March.  Assuming that the Cardinals would have given him the first-round tender of $1.8 million, which would have required a new team signing him to a long-term deal to give up a first-round draft pick in exchange, Dockett's deal is worth $20.2 million over five years in additional money.

We're also hearing that the Cardinals are in the process of extending more of their current players, in an effort to use up their current cap space.  Under the new CBA, both the salary cap and the salary floor have gone up considerably, and past published reports have indicated that the Cardinals will have a huge cap surplus for 2007.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

TBayJJ

Second String

#1 : October 14, 2006, 09:21:19 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to hear that. We will just have to find someone else. Thanks for the info.

gone

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 15, 2006, 01:51:52 AM

Boooo

Huey Freeman

Starter
#3 : October 15, 2006, 04:00:41 AM

Nice move for AZ.  Remember what it was like to have young, talented players on the defensive side of the ball? 

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#4 : October 15, 2006, 04:18:57 AM

There goes everyone's perfect "just sign this guy, this guy, and this guy, draft this guy and we're good on D again!" plans out the window. *waits on Lance Briggs and Michael Lewis to sign extensions*

coopsxx

Starter
#5 : October 15, 2006, 05:36:32 AM

yeh there is no way they let briggs go. i dont even think the bucs fo would sign him, cos he plays brooks is position and unless we cut him, (which they wont do) he will be there for another 2 seasons after this.

I

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : October 15, 2006, 05:41:02 AM

Nice move for AZ.  Remember what it was like to have young, talented players on the defensive side of the ball? 

I think we still have a few decent youngsters,

- Ruud, is gonna be a solid player for a long time,

- Allen is a decent player, who is being exposed primarily because he us having to do more than his job entitles at the moment. He aint capable of that yet. remember he is supposed to be the deepest player on our defense as a FS.

- White has 4 sacks, a FF and a Kick blocked, and he is a backup.

(+ i think Zem will be solid in the future.)

But yeh i agree we have no young superstars ala Merriman, D. Hall, polamalu etc.

coopsxx

Starter
#7 : October 16, 2006, 11:30:05 PM

Man it would have been nice to get him!!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darnell Dockett signs extention « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools