Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Baltimore Sun article: FA and Adalius Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1

: January 20, 2007, 12:08:50 PM

Incidentally, who are the top 5 LB earners? Urlacher, Peterson.... who else?

Ray Lewis, maybe?

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 20, 2007, 11:18:32 AM

Incidentally, who are the top 5 LB earners? Urlacher, Peterson.... who else?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

#2 : January 20, 2007, 01:54:15 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens19jan19,0,1659343.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Six weeks from the start of free agency, there are varying degrees of uncertainty for Ravens players.

All-Pro linebacker Adalius Thomas knows there is a chance he might not make it to free agency. Running back Jamal Lewis realizes he might not return. And fullback Ovie Mughelli isn't quite sure what to think.

The Ravens' priority next month is Thomas, who would be one of the top 10 free agents in the NFL if he hits the market March 2. But the Ravens are expected to use the franchise tag on Thomas by the Feb. 22 deadline if the sides are unable to reach a new contract.

When Brian Billick was asked on his weekly WBAL Radio show whether the Ravens would put the franchise tag on Thomas, the coach declined to discuss the team's intentions, only saying that the Ravens typically don't like to use the tag.

"Now is the time to address a new contract since the season is over," Thomas said after the Ravens' 15-6 playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday. "We'll sit down whenever they're ready and we'll go from there."

Thomas, who turns 30 before next season, finished with a career-high 11 sacks this season and ranked third on the team with 106 tackles.

He would be a lucrative free agent for several teams, especially the San Francisco 49ers, who are coached by former Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. By using the franchise tag on Thomas, the Ravens would retain all the starters on the NFL's top-ranked defense.

The franchise tag allows a team to keep a player from becoming a free agent for that season by paying him the average salary of the top five players at that position in the league. Thomas still could sign a long-term deal with another team, but the Ravens would receive two first-round picks for compensation, making such a scenario unlikely.

The franchise tag for linebackers last season was $7.1 million, which likely won't change drastically this season. That's a feasible number for the Ravens because the salary cap will increase by $7 million this year.

Thomas' agent, Bus Cook, did not return phone calls.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 20, 2007, 01:00:01 PM

I'd be worried about the Bucs throwing big money at a player on the wrong side of 30, who hasn't been a big time player throughout his career, and is surrounded by lots of other good players on his team.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 20, 2007, 02:13:11 PM

I like Thomas a lot, but the age thing gives me pause as well.

I don't get why the 49ers are so high on Thomas when they let the younger Julian Peterson walk just last season. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

#5 : January 20, 2007, 02:32:15 PM

I don't get why the 49ers are so high on Thomas when they let the younger Julian Peterson walk just last season. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Because 49er HC Mike Nolan is familiar with Thomas from his days as Baltimore's DC.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 20, 2007, 03:21:45 PM

I like Thomas a lot, but the age thing gives me pause as well.

they are trying to learn from their mistakes perhaps?

#7 : January 20, 2007, 03:22:50 PM

maybe bthe 49ers thought injuries slowed down Peterson and they didnt feel comfortable giving him the enormous contract seattle did.

Adalius Thomas' is 29 almost 30, and will demand a big contract but I think we can definitely say he is for real and the defense he was in didn't make him the player he was. 270 lbs and he runs like Shelton Quarles. He can rush the pass from DE (where he would play on the bucs) and on top of his 11 sacks he had 106 tackles. He is one of the best 270-280 lb athletes you will find in the NFL after maybe Peppers and Merriman. I think he is better in coverage than thjose 2 though.

fessy

Second String

#8 : January 21, 2007, 12:21:05 AM

this is why we need to do whatever it takes to sign Briggs.  he's a few years younger and better for our system.  Brooks said he'd move if we did sign briggs, so do it.

#9 : January 21, 2007, 01:20:02 AM

this is why we need to do whatever it takes to sign Briggs.  he's a few years younger and better for our system.  Brooks said he'd move if we did sign briggs, so do it.

If the Bucs could possibly sign both, Rice would be expendable via a trade. The cap savings would cover about 2/3 of what it would take to sign both of them. Unlikely that scenario would play out. Just being a homer.  :D
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Baltimore Sun article: FA and Adalius Thomas « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools