Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reggie Nelson declares and is rated « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

coopsxx

Starter
#15 : January 14, 2007, 04:03:42 AM

im not a gator homer like alot of you but Nelson is a freakin stud, a pure playmaker, has that rare ball hawk skills like reed and polamalu, sadly we are not in position to draft him as high as we are and he will go by the 2nd round.

he'll be a multiple pro bowler after a while

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 14, 2007, 07:42:12 AM

this draft kinda hurtss.  we have so many needs and no wonder some of these guys go in the first round...they ususally have a lot to offer.  I want about 6 of them on our team.  never realized how tough it is to decide who to take especially when you are high on the board and aside from thje first 4 players, you could, if you wanted to, draft anyone of vallue you might lust after....glad I don't have to make these choices, I'd cheat and take 5 in round one!

#17 : January 14, 2007, 07:44:15 AM

Some people (samari) like to say stuff that is irrelevant just to aggrevate. Nothing he said was discussion. And I think a player that makes All American 1st team can't really be over rated.
He made a perfectly good point about Merriweather. Stop **CENSORED**ing because you get proven wrong.

#18 : January 14, 2007, 08:41:10 AM

Yeah, guys who are inconsistent usually make NCAA All American as a JR.  gO AWAY.

Yeah, and kids who win college awards are always good in the NFL.

Go away.

watson

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 14, 2007, 08:48:07 AM

He's a NCAA 1st rd All American & a safety. We NEED safeties!!!
Karen,
The problem is you can't equate college All American to being a good pro.  Just like winning the Heisman does not mean you are going to be a great pro.  Do you believe that he is one of the 4 best players in this years draft?  If he is rated as a first round draft choice then unless you think that he is a top 4 quality player then he won't be there.  

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 14, 2007, 10:32:17 AM

The D-line is in more need, but if you trade down and pick up an extra 2nd and use our top 2 seconds to address the d-line , I'd be ok with it ... but I don't see it happening

PirateBooty

Starter

#21 : January 14, 2007, 10:36:15 AM

as 15th on NFL draft link...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2007

If that's true, would someone please draft him for me....he's defense...he's a playmaker...he's aBuc????
What do ya think guys? :o

The Bucs D has never needed first round secondary talent in the past, why start now.  Fix the D-line, pressure the QB, and everything else will follow.
Okoye, perhaps??? ;D

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 14, 2007, 10:55:32 AM

Some people (samari) like to say stuff that is irrelevant just to aggrevate. Nothing he said was discussion. And I think a player that makes All American 1st team can't really be over rated.
He made a perfectly good point about Merriweather. Stop **CENSORED**ing because you get proven wrong.
Everyone just assumed Merriweather was going to be great because he plays safety at Miami. Once people got enough tape on him, they saw he was pretty good, but not all-world. And then he showed he was a sorry thug in highlights (lowlights) played all over the place. Remember when everyone on here was in love with Kevin Everett, assuming because he played tight end at Miami he must be awesome?

And Nelson is going to be an awesome pro. There really shouldn't be any questions about his game. But he's going to be rated way too high to get him in the 2nd round and safety is just not a position to justify a top 5 pick. The only way the Bucs could make it work is trading down.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 14, 2007, 11:04:28 AM

Merriweather could have been the best safety in the draft.  But his past season which was not (okay but not spectacular)so great and some of the incidents on and off the field have hit his draft stock.  If he has a good combine he could sneak into the late first round.  Now in my opinion if he is there at the top of the second round the Bucs staff should consider taking him as he is a very talented safety that would have been top fifteen if he did not screw up but his character concerns may shy the Bucs away from him.  Up to this point this current Bucs FO have not drafted a player day one of the draft with character concerns.  That might change this year with Merriweather and/or Marcus Thomas but we shall see how that unfolds.

Nelson is rated as high as a top ten pick purely on potential.  He will make for a very good pro safety if he is coached up at the pro level.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 14, 2007, 12:00:44 PM

Didn't you know all Gators are going to be pro bowl potential?

Don't believe me, ask Karen.

Better yet, ask the Bucs. Seems to me we had a couple of Gator wide receivers a few years back.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 14, 2007, 12:45:20 PM

I wouldnt mind if we took him in round 2 or 3.  He does look like a solid Safety in the NFL, IMO.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

#26 : January 14, 2007, 02:04:34 PM

In 2005 we had the number one defense in the NFL with the same two safeties we have now.  Without decent D-line play and pass rush any safety will get beat like a drum all day long.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#27 : January 14, 2007, 02:26:46 PM

we couldnt pick him as high as we pick

Eric Weddle is the answer for safety

#28 : January 14, 2007, 02:32:17 PM

We could have this guy in the 3rd round:

Has great size and a very solid build...Timed speed is outstanding...Physical and does a great job in the box versus the run...Athletic and a good leaper...Range is adequate and he is able to make plays sideline-to-sideline...Decent tackler with a burst who can really close in a hurry...Nasty and an intimidator who plays with an attitude...Versatile...Has good hands...Is still improving and has a lot of potential.

UFBucgator

Practice Squad

#29 : January 14, 2007, 04:36:48 PM

I personally love Nelson and want him to be a part of the Bucs team.   He is a ball hawk playmaker who shows great instincts.  Undersized, but hits a ton anyways.   However, I seriously doubt that will happen considering our draft position this year.  Merriweather would be a disaster.  Do we want a guy whos biggest highlight this year was him braining a guy with his helmet while on the ground?  Character isn't everything, but it counts for something.  I lurk these boards and it never ceases to amaze me how people carry their college bias here.  I am a Gator till I die, but cheer a warrior like Derrick Brooks even though he went to FSU.  Whatever makes the Bucs a contender I am all for.  Nelson would look great in a Bucs uniform, especially with the lousy play at safety this year. Like Ronde said on The Barber Shop, we need better players.  Simple as that.  Bring on CJ, Buster, Reggie, Gaines or Olsen.  Somebody who can be difference makers!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reggie Nelson declares and is rated « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools