Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WRITER WHO BADGERED MARINELLI, OUT OF WORK « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 06, 2009, 07:55:20 PM

Rob Parker Leaves Detroit News After Question to Lions Coach Rod Marinelli
Posted Jan 6th 2009 6:35PM by Michael David Smith (author feed)

Detroit News columnist Rob Parker was harshly criticized last month after he badgered Lions coach Rod Marinelli over his daughter's marriage to his defensive coordinator. Now he's out of work because of it:

"He doesn't work here any more," Managing Editor Donald Nauss said. He said Parker resigned on Friday. Asked whether this followed a suspension of his column, Nauss said, "I can't talk about personnel matters."

Parker reportedly was demoted from columnist to general assignment reporter because of the incident, and he apparently resigned because of that demotion.

Marinelli's Lions became the first team in NFL history to finish a season 0-16, and the Lions' defense was the worst in the league under coordinator Joe Barry, who is married to Marinelli's daughter. At Marinelli's press conference following the Lions' Week 16 loss to the Saints, Parker asked, "Do you wish your daughter would have married a better defensive coordinator?"

Parker later apologized, but Marinelli said he did not accept the apology.

Parker also appears on ESPN, which did not take any action over his comments.

gypsie

Starter

#1 : January 06, 2009, 09:08:51 PM

He desevered it

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 07, 2009, 02:39:50 PM

It's really easy for other people to say 'fire him' or 'fire that guy' based on one element, one incident.
I wonder how many of you have had miscommunications, misunderstandings, done things stupid at work and been fired. Personally I've never lost a job this way, but given how tough it is to get a good job in our society, I'm not sure the punishment fits the crime.
Suspension? That I can see. But unless there was a track record before this, it's excessive.

In Verner We Trust

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#3 : January 07, 2009, 03:23:09 PM

I agree JBF, but at the same time when you work so close to the public eye, you have to be very careful with the words you choose. I'm not saying it's right, but it is the reality of the situation. It was a wisecrack even before it was misunderstood. It likely wasn't worth it now, so the guy comes away a little more professional. I'd say he's better for it. Does this paper want to have possible issues working with the Lions down the road because of one reporter?

Besides, I'm pretty sure the guy will land on his feet. Hopefully anyway with, as you mentioned, the job market.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 07, 2009, 11:13:42 PM

Doubtful he'll land a full-time gig anywhere or at the very least anywhere near that level. Papers closing all over the country, cutbacks on many of the best papers around.

In Verner We Trust

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 08, 2009, 10:47:39 AM

Well he didnt get fired, he got demoted. He chose to leave after that... It may be a stupid reason to demote the guy but he wasnt canned. To me it looks like a PR move by the paper, im sure he could have mended bridges and worked his way back up into the spotlight. Oh well.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#6 : January 08, 2009, 11:48:32 AM

Doubtful he'll land a full-time gig anywhere or at the very least anywhere near that level. Papers closing all over the country, cutbacks on many of the best papers around.

Uh, right. A guy who has been on ESPN countless times and worked for a big paper already won't get another job because he made an ill timed, otherwise funny, joke about the head coach of the Lions?

Right.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 08, 2009, 11:56:21 AM

Seattle Post Intelligencer, Detroit Free Press, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Newark Star-Ledger (largest paper in New Jersey), Philly Daily News, mlb.com (in fact nba.com, nfl.com and nhl.com). The list goes on and on .... Magnaccia, not just newspapers, but sports media jobs are drying up not by the hundreds or thousands, but hundreds of thousands. Cutbacks, buyouts, layoffs and then they FOLD.
His ESPN role is a limited gig, probably pays very little. And just who would he be representing now in that role? He's no longer a beat guy. Bad PR for ESPN would follow. He should have taken the demotion if that's what was offered.

In Verner We Trust

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#8 : January 08, 2009, 11:59:22 AM

It's the world economy 'drying up', not just media outlets. If he made it as long as he did writing he's either got contacts or a knack for journalism. Either way I wouldn't except one public fubar to keep him out of work lol

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 08, 2009, 12:07:54 PM

This was not an isolated incident when it came to Parker. Are you familiar with the Michigan State Cousins incident? Were it strike 1 then it wouldn't have gone this far.
But Parker began his demise long before this.

In Verner We Trust

3drdre

Starter

#10 : January 08, 2009, 12:26:07 PM

I didn't see what was wrong with the question. Marinelli should have hired someone that deserved the job and not his son-in-law. A reporter has every right to ask that kind of question. Marinelli's responsiblity is to put together a capable coaching staff and the Lions are an embarrassment for their fans. I don't get why everyone thinks this is a big deal. Do people think Marinelli will cry or something when he gets home?

Let's get more real.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 08, 2009, 12:33:22 PM

If he was going to ask the question about Barry, he should of left Marinelli's daughter out of the conversation.  Then it would have been a legit observation.
Its ironic that Barry would come back to Bucs.  If I remember correctly, he trashed the Bucs when he got to Detroit.  What goes around, comes around.
See it all the time.

Right now things are so tense with the economy, it really is "one mistake and you're out the door" type of environment.  I know myself. Unfortunately.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#12 : January 08, 2009, 06:54:39 PM

I didn't see what was wrong with the question. Marinelli should have hired someone that deserved the job and not his son-in-law. A reporter has every right to ask that kind of question. Marinelli's responsiblity is to put together a capable coaching staff and the Lions are an embarrassment for their fans.

It wasn't a question though, it was a wisecrack. I don't think he insinuated at all that it was some sort of nepotism.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 08, 2009, 07:44:27 PM

That's true, dbtb. He said he was trying to make a joke and lighten the mood. But listening to the audio and it simply sounds like he's being a jerk. I didn't find it amusing in the least, whether he had a good repoire with Marinelli or none at all.

In Verner We Trust

Badbud8

Second String

#14 : January 09, 2009, 07:57:19 AM

The whole thing was much ado about nothing,He didnt throw anybody under the bus, Barry got kicked a little but with jobs they did there ,they earned it. I hope they dont bring Barry back to town ,he talked much bad crap about the Buc's. Screw'em both.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WRITER WHO BADGERED MARINELLI, OUT OF WORK « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools