Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UPDATED: Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen Fields Questions From Media « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

: January 09, 2009, 11:49:07 AM

Bucs general manager Bruce Allen held his annual end-of-the-season press conference at One Buc Place on Friday morning.

Allen said observers were looking at a 9-3 team that had players considered for the Pro Bowl and had positioned itself for a playoff run, but it was also a team that finished 0-4. Allen said it was important for the team to make an honest assessment of what transpired in 2008 when preparing for the 2009 offseason.

Allen also went on to talk about the excess room under the salary cap and why the team did not spend it. He said the Bucs' intention is to always spend the salary cap room, but needs were filled with some players and he suggested there were very few players that were worth spending a ton of cap money on. He also added, "If the trading deadline was December 15 then we would have attempted to trade for someone to help us with depth issues we had due to injuries."

Regarding accountability, Allen said he feels he has a share of it in Tampa Bay's 9-7 record and 0-4 collapse. "Disappointment is probably the kindest word I could use to describe it." He said he's pleased with the team's offensive line, which is the second-youngest in the league. Allen also said, "We need to add some juice to both the offensive and defensive sides of the football."

Regarding whether Monte Kiffin's announcement was a distraction during 0-4, Allen said, "Monte and I had discussed what he planned to do if Lane got fired from Oakland and if x happened. Monte had earned the right to make that decision. To suggest Monte's announcement was the reason why we missed a tackle vs. Oakland -- that would be shallow."

Regarding 2009 being the last capped year under the CBA, Allen said, "There are special accounting rules that need to be taken into account being that this is the last capped year. The Bucs are prepared either way."

Regarding whether the Glazers are willing to spend the cap room the Bucs have due to their ownership of Manchester United, Allen said, "Oh yeah. We want to make sure we spend our cap money on players that are going to be here and help the Bucs in 2009 and beyond, and make sure the player brought in isn't making earning something more than a player lining up alongside of him." ... "The Glazers have given us the opportunity to sign anybody we want and actually encourage us to sign players that are going to make the Buccaneers better."

Regarding Cadillac Williams' torn patellar tendon injuries in 2007 and 2008, Allen said Williams is already in the training room and determined to prove people wrong that he will not return from his second major knee injury in as many years. Allen said the Bucs would look at the RB injury and get as deep as they could with a 80-man roster (offseason) and 53-man roster.

Regarding coaching changes, Allen said assistant head coach Larry Coyer and tight ends coach Bob Casullo have "moved on" and will not return. He verified that Raheem Morris has interviewed with Denver for the head coaching job, but said St. Louis has not inquired about Morris. Allen also confirmed that linebackers coach Gus Bradley has not been hired as a defensive coordinator in Seattle.

Regarding the QB position, Allen said "We're going to make sure we give the quarterback position the proper attention," and he made a point to reference some of the first-round picks that are playing QB for playoff teams right now. "We want to look for solutions for problems at the position, and we have a pretty good idea of what those solutions might be this offseason, but now is not the right time to talk about it."

Regarding re-signing the team's own players, Allen said, "There are some of our own players that deserve to be rewarded, and we're going to try to do that."

Regarding how the Glazers felt in meetings with Jon Gruden and Bruce Allen after the season, Allen said, "It was no different than our fans. There was disappointment, and we're going to do our best to make it better."

Regarding Dexter Jackson and Dre Moore draft picks, Allen said, "The responsibility is mine. Dexter didn't developed as we had hoped as a rookie, but Clifton Smith comes in and performs well. We drafted Dre Moore with the idea that he was going to be a redshirt player and would need time to develop. They'll be given chances to compete this year."

Regarding fans calling for Jon Gruden to be fired, "I love their passion and I love that they care. That's the most important part."

Regarding Allen and Gruden being on the hot seat, "Allen said, "I don't look at it that way. I know that doesn't make sense to some people. There's nothing that drives me more than the desire to win. ... I've seen my father fired enough to understand how things work in the NFL."

Regarding the Bucs not winning a playoff game in the past five seasons, Allen said, "Not satisfied and it's unacceptable. We have to find a way to get this team on top."

Here are the two articles we filed on all of these stories today on PewterReport.com.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5093

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5094

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : January 09, 2009, 11:56:18 AM

anyone ask about escalating season ticket prices or does he not get involved with that end of the business

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 09, 2009, 11:56:56 AM

Sounds like he has his finger on the pulse of the team, community, fans, etc...

QB situation sounded very encouraging...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 09, 2009, 12:07:17 PM

You mean the GM knows what is going on ....  :o

and yes the QB comments do seem encouraging ....

Bucs Bowl

Starter

#4 : January 09, 2009, 12:17:52 PM

anyone ask about escalating season ticket prices or does he not get involved with that end of the business

That decision is made by the Glazer group. The GM has nothing to do with it!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 09, 2009, 12:30:34 PM

I'm still on board with the Dre Moore pick. It was a risk but at least he has a really high upside.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2009, 12:34:15 PM

"If the trading deadline was December 15 then we would have attempted to trade for someone to help us with depth issues we had due to injuries."

WTH? I really hope he doesn't go into this FA with the same mentality...

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM

Anything and everything Allen says is nothing but fluff.

He always has a way to apologise, or present us with the "tiger woods"  player by "next year."

Nothing but more politics. He didn't say anything we DIDN'T know. We know you are good with money BA, but we want to see you sign real talent!

As far as I see it, if he doesn't do anything this offseason (like last) then he needs to get the f-out of here.

Imo, he's pretty close to what they call in politics a "lame duck."

Honor him if you will, but I don't REALLY see what he has done, other than let Gruden win with sub-par players while he sits on cap space. Big damn deal.

....He signed Garcia.... yay....  ::) <----If THAT's all he's going to do in his time here, then I'll be happy when he's gone.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 09, 2009, 12:43:52 PM

sound like a bunch of double talk, yacka yacka yacka style

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 09, 2009, 12:45:46 PM

ZZzZZzZZzZZzZz

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#10 : January 09, 2009, 12:45:58 PM

Well I hope that we go out and sign some guys this year. The schedule the bucs play next year is a tough one. We will need to get our offense some firepower and our defense will need to get some pass rush.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 09, 2009, 12:48:45 PM

Anything and everything Allen says is nothing but fluff.

He always has a way to apologise, or present us with the "tiger woods" �player by "next year."

Nothing but more politics. He didn't say anything we DIDN'T know. We know you are good with money BA, but we want to see you sign real talent!

As far as I see it, if he doesn't do anything this offseason (like last) then he needs to get the f-out of here.

Imo, he's pretty close to what they call in politics a "lame duck."

Honor him if you will, but I don't REALLY see what he has done, other than let Gruden win with sub-par players while he sits on cap space. Big damn deal.

....He signed Garcia.... yay....  ::) <----If THAT's all he's going to do in his time here, then I'll be happy when he's gone.

Allen is commended for getting us out of cap hell - but now we have a cap surplus and many needs across the board. I don't think anyone expect them to go on a spending spree but I do believe that its a critical off-season for them. They need to address needs and power up for 2009 - the schedule on paper looks like the toughest we've had in years.  That will require spending some of that cap and solid drafting this season. We'll see....

It was nice to hear that the Glazers support whatever moves he decides to make and they're no restrictions. I don't believe Bruce has any reason to lie about that - Andrew Friedman doesn't lie about the Rays financial situation, neither does Brian Lawton for the Lightning. Either he's allowed to spend to the cap or he's not...and I think the Glazers are like the rest of us - they want to see us sign some impact players but they defer to the knowledge of the people they hired to do the job. If the brain trust fails again, they may no longer defer.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 09, 2009, 12:48:54 PM

He’s pleased with the offensive line?  You mean the same one that after the first 4 games was inconsistent and gave our Quarterbacks little time to throw as little as little blocking for our running backs.  Do you think Garcia/Griese mean to throw 2 yard passes that are 8 yards short of the first down?  No, but when your line isn’t blocking you just have to make a play.  Many people made excuses that Garcia wasn’t staying in the pocket so it made the line look bad, well we saw what the pocket passers Griese did in ATL, getting sacked what 4-5 times?  He’s pleased with the offensive line because after making Jeff Faine the highest paid center, and spending a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick on Davin Joseph, Jeremy Trueblood, Arron Sears, and Jeremy Zuttah---he’d be a dang fool to critique what he invested so much in.  Wouldn’t want to look bad now, would he?

And as far as the statement of not bring in a player making more than the player next to him?  Wow.  So I guess that rules out the top 25 free agents from landing in Tampa.  I like how he tries to cover his tracks with the Dre Moore pick.  You trade up to get him and say he is a red shirt player.  A 4th round pick, red shirt player.  Come on Bruce, only a blind follower on this board would believe that.

Again, I know these press conferences are nothing but gibberish and he won’t unleash our master plan, but how anyone can defend this guy is beyond me.  People calling for Gruden to be fired?  No.  Gruden isn’t the best and can certainly do a better job, but you have to open up the purse strings and make better draft picks there buddy.  Bruce Allen should get fired before Gruden, IMO.  

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 09, 2009, 12:57:13 PM

QB situation sounded very encouraging...

Sounds like you are right.  I haven't lived in the Tampa market, but seriously, is there a better hot spot for Fans who want to talk about the Bucs other than the Pewter Report Boards?  (I'll take my free subscription now!)  I do think that players and coaches/F.O. folks frequent these boards, and it wouldn't surprise me if Allen did as well.  Not that it matters, But I'm just saying...

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 09, 2009, 01:00:29 PM

I wonder who asks these questions.  I mean sure they are the same questions the fans want to know but does anybody really think they are going to get a different answer?  Some of the questions were answered very well though.  The QB situation, extra money, and job security questions were answered well.

Some people will say it is nothing but fluff.  They are the same ones calling for their heads, sitting in the stands talking about what they would do better.  

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UPDATED: Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen Fields Questions From Media « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools