Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet another Democrat bites the dust - Mayor Shiela Dixon indicted « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: January 09, 2009, 08:46:01 PM

The indictment accuses the Mayor of Baltimore of 12 felony counts ranging from perjury, theft, and misconduct in office.

----------------------------------------------
Baltimore Mayor Sheila A. Dixon was charged today by the state prosecutor in a 12-count indictment, becoming the city's first sitting mayor indicted on criminal offenses.

Dixon was charged with four counts of perjury and two counts of theft over $500, as well as theft under $500, fraudulent misappropriation by a fiduciary and misconduct in office. The charges stem in part from gifts she received from former boyfriend and developer Ronald H. Lipscomb, who was also charged earlier this week.

Dixon, a Democrat, has been the target of a nearly three-year probe by State Prosecutor Robert A. Rohrbaugh into corruption at City Hall, an investigation that has centered on allegations that Dixon has used her office to award lucrative contracts to various people including her sister, her then-boyfriend and her former campaign chairman.

In a statement released by her office this afternoon, Dixon said: "I am being unfairly accused. Time will prove that I have done nothing wrong, and I am confident that I will be found innocent of these charges. ... I want to make it clear, though, that I will continue to put all of my energies into running the City of Baltimore during these perilous economic times."

Dixon read that statement this afternoon at a 4 p.m. news conference at the Clipper Mill offices of her attorney, Arnold M. Weiner. Weiner said he had consulted with the city solicitor and that "it is clear that the charges in this case will not have any affect on the mayor's" legal ability to do her job.

He said Dixon has been the state prosecutor's "singular personal obsession for the last four years."

Some of the charges center on gift cards that Dixon received from two real estate developers. According to the indictment, Dixon told one of the developers that the gift cards were going to be distributed to needy families in Baltimore. Prosecutors say that in December 2005, when Dixon was City Council president, she used 19 of 20 Best Buy gift cards for herself, purchasing personal items, including a digital camcorder, a PlayStation 2 and other electronics.

Prosecutors say that in December 2006, she used Old Navy, Best Buy and other gift cards intended for needy families for an Xbox 360, a PlayStation Portable, clothes and other items for her own use.

Rohrbaugh, the state prosecutor, said in a statement that "the citizens of Baltimore have every right to expect their public officials will be open and honest."

Over the course of the wide-ranging investigation, two people with ties to Dixon have pleaded guilty, and state officials spent seven hours searching the mayor's Hunting Ridge home.

No Baltimore mayor has run afoul of the law since the Civil War, when the mayor was accused and imprisoned when the city was under military occupation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-dixon0109,0,3147190.story

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2009, 08:46:56 PM

they like to re-elect them. First time I heard this... doubt Katie Courac talks about it

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 09, 2009, 09:14:08 PM

Would you post this if she was a republican?

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2009, 09:15:15 PM

I heard during this crime she was with Ray Lewis?...Could it be?...OBD

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 09, 2009, 09:16:08 PM

They were having lunch with Marion Barry. :D

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 09, 2009, 09:24:53 PM

They were having lunch with Marion Barry. :D
They were errr....needed...a quick fix...OBD

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2009, 09:34:17 PM

wouldnt need too because the media would be all over it

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2009, 09:36:16 PM

A crooked politician is a crooked politician.  I think you need to ask yourself your own question.

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#8 : January 11, 2009, 03:11:09 AM

A crooked politician is a crooked politician.  I think you need to ask yourself your own question.
Apparently you missed that cyberdude has an agenda.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 12, 2009, 01:36:42 PM

Dixon was charged with four counts of perjury and two counts of theft over $500, as well as theft under $500, fraudulent misappropriation by a fiduciary and misconduct in office. The charges stem in part from gifts she received from former boyfriend and developer Ronald H. Lipscomb, who was also charged earlier this week.

Dixon, a Democrat, has been the target of a nearly three-year probe by State Prosecutor Robert A.

Of course there may be more to come, but if this is the best they can do after a 3 year investigation .... ?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 12, 2009, 02:01:11 PM

Welcome to the party Baltimore! We've had such fun here with our governor (sarcasm implied).
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in my attorney if his name was Weiner. :)

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet another Democrat bites the dust - Mayor Shiela Dixon indicted « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools