Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: OU/Florida who you got? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

LFO

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 26, 2008, 08:40:16 PM

Florida's defense hasn't faced an offense like OU's. Especially a QB like Sam Bradford, best college QB in the nation.

Florida has faced a similar O-Line.  Alabama's and Oklahoma's line are very comparable.  Oklahoma doesn't have a WR as good as Julio Jones.  I would also say Bradford and Stafford are fairly comparable.

Bottom line is, Bradford hasn't had to throw with guys in his face all year.  It will be interesting to see how he handles it.
Yep... OU's offense has 2 really good running backs.

Well, now that they have 1, does that change your thinking?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#46 : December 26, 2008, 08:41:41 PM

Question:

Why do Oklahoma fans call them, "OU"?

Isn't it the "University of Oklahoma"?

So shouldn't it be, "UO"?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#47 : January 04, 2009, 01:33:04 PM

Finally, some trash talking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

LFO

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 04, 2009, 02:08:09 PM

Finally, some trash talking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

He doesn't watch enough tape. I really mean that.

That quote from the Oklahoma DC says it all about Mr. Franks.

I am still trying to figure out why it would be harder to defend a team you know is just going to air it out every play over a team that will mix it up.....

bbb

Practice Squad

#49 : January 05, 2009, 09:31:07 AM

Question:

Why do Oklahoma fans call them, "OU"?

Isn't it the "University of Oklahoma"?

So shouldn't it be, "UO"?

Same deal with Kansas .... Those Big 12 schools are weird in that regard.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 05, 2009, 05:34:42 PM

ugh....now Spikes joins in"

Florida's Spikes calls Big 12 defenses a joke

January 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Just when you thought most of the smack talk was over between the teams leading up to the FedEx BCS National Championship Game, Florida middle linebacker Brandon Spikes unloaded on Oklahoma during Monday's Media Day at Dolphin Stadium.

Clearly, he's not a big fan of the Sooners' defense, and that's putting it mildly.

"If they can stop our offense, hey, my hat goes off to them," Spikes said. "But I really don't think they can. As long as we play well on defense, give the ball back to Tim (Tebow) and the rest of those guys, we should roll."

And with that, Spikes took off the gloves -- probably telling you a couple of things. One, he's pretty confident about Thursday's game. Two, he's probably headed to the NFL after this game, because he sure didn't seem very concerned about the ramifications of saying too much to the media.

"You keep hearing they've done this and scored all these points in the last five games," Spikes said. "But I really feel like they haven't faced a defense like ours, and Big 12 defenses are a joke. It's always like a bunch of basketball scores when I watch SportsCenter. So we'll see."

Spikes said the Sooners are "living in a fantasy world" with some of the things they've said about Tebow not even being among the top quarterbacks if he played in the Big 12.

"Deep down, they know what they're going to get," Spikes said. "I don't know if they're trying to pump each other up or what. That's just crazy to say something like that."

Florida running back Jeffery Demps went one better. He said the Sooners "must be on something" to suggest that Tebow would be no better than the fourth best quarterback in the Big 12.

Hey, if the game's this good Thursday, we should be in for a treat.

I wish they'd leave the talking to OU and just play it on the field. 

Also, Spikes just might declare for the NFL...but I am not sure his logic makes any sense.  Why would what Spikes says affect his draft status or indictae he was leaning either way  Did UF move to the Big 12 where he would have to face many Big 12 teams next year?

I like Demps comment. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 05, 2009, 06:07:38 PM

Spikes better perform on Thursday.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 05, 2009, 08:29:53 PM

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11226794

Nice article on how UF is preparing for the Tempo of the Oklahoma offense.

Genius plan by Urban. 

Share this page.

MIAMI -- Look. Can I be honest? My story today, this story you're reading, was going to predict BCS doom for the Florida Gators. That was my working theory, and I'll tell you why: From the moment they arrived in South Florida to prepare for the national championship game, the Gators seemed a little too preoccupied with the no-huddle attack of the Oklahoma Sooners.

OK, preoccupied isn't the best way to describe it. Concerned is a better word. Scared. Freaked out? That's better. Florida seemed freaked out by the Oklahoma offense.

Shortly after his arrival, UF defensive coordinator Charlie Strong was asked for a general comment about Oklahoma's offense, and here is what he said:

"Well, our major concern ... is their tempo," he said of the Sooners' no-huddle attack in which two running backs gained 1,000 yards and quarterback Sam Bradford won the Heisman Trophy. "It's hard to really practice, just to simulate, just getting those plays in."

Said UF linebacker Ryan Stamper: "When they do the no-huddle, a lot of teams just weren't ready for it and not lined up correctly. It's going to be pretty difficult."

Said UF safety Major Wright: "We haven't played a team as fast-paced as them. They get on the ball and are ready to go fast."

Told you. Florida is freaked out. And with good reason. No team in college football was able to squeeze off as many plays this season as the Sooners' 1,036. And they made those snaps count. In a season in which new NCAA clock management rules shortened games and lowered scoring across the board, the Sooners became the first team in modern college football history to score 700 points. They enter the BCS title game on an NCAA-record streak of five consecutive games with at least 60 points.

So the Gators should be freaked out. And until Monday, they certainly sounded freaked out. So that was my story. Poor Gators. They're scared of the no-huddle.

Turns out, they were lying.

Like UF coach Urban Meyer wasn't going to be ready, right? In a profession of friggin' control freaks and anal geniuses, Meyer is the biggest control freak, the most anal, of them all. (All due respect.) And he and his staff came up with a plan to get ready for Oklahoma's no-huddle attack, a plan sniffed out by yours truly. And it's a hell of a plan.

The Florida defense hasn't been working in practice against an offense as fast as Oklahoma's.

Florida has worked against an offense that's even faster.

How is that possible? I'll tell you how, and it's devious. Meyer wasn't content to make his defense defend a UF scout team simulating the Sooners' offense. He had them defend two offenses:

One scout-team offense to run the play. A second scout-team offense waiting, as soon as the whistle blew, to sprint onto the field and run the next play. Then the first unit runs a play. Then the second. Back and forth the scout team offenses go, one play leading to the next to the next to the next, with no break for the defense.

That's how Meyer has gotten the Gators ready.

"We tried to over-exaggerate things," said Sean Cronin, the UF assistant coach in charge of the scout team. "We try to overdo it, make the defense see something they couldn't possibly see in the game."

That has worked for the Gators in other games this season. To prepare for explosive Vanderbilt quarterback Chris Nickson, Florida's scout team put a variety of running backs and receivers at quarterback, anyone who could match, or better yet top, Nickson's athletic ability. Turned out pretty well. Florida won 42-14.

Before playing South Carolina on Nov. 15, which features speedy All-SEC tight end Jared Cook, the UF scout team didn't bother simulating Cook with the fastest tight end they could scrounge up. The UF scout team picked fleet freshman receiver Omarius Hines to mimic Cook, thinking that if the Gators' linebackers could keep up with Hines, they could contain Cook.

Florida won 56-6.

"After the game," Cronin said, "Omarius came running over to me and was asking, 'How many catches did he have? How many catches did he have?'"

Answer: One catch. Six yards.

Dealing with the Oklahoma no-huddle is more convoluted than dealing with any one player, of course. The Sooners have turned the no-huddle into a 21st-century, high-tech version of their famed wishbone, which they used to bludgeon foes in the 1970s and '80s for the simple reason that opposing teams couldn't prepare for it. Nobody ran it with the precision, or the NFL-caliber athletes, of Oklahoma.

That was the wishbone of 1978, and it's the no-huddle of 2008. Nobody does it like Oklahoma, which this season became the first team in major college history to have a quarterback throw for 4,000 yards and two 1,000-yard running backs. That kind of skill, coming at the tempo Oklahoma operates, wears a defense down.

"Sometimes you can tell," said OU center Jon Cooper. "They're pointing fingers or their sideline is screaming. You can tell when they're breaking down."

The Sooners plan on it. They spend the summer going through hellacious conditioning drills in that heinous Oklahoma heat to get their bodies into shape for the physical, and mental, warfare of fall.

"Some time after halftime, the other team is getting tired and we still have a full tank," said Oklahoma receiver Ryan Broyles. "So many times we're able to run a play before they're even set."

Not this time. Not against this Florida defense. That's what the Gators say. That's how they've been preparing, anyway.

"At first, yeah, we were a little concerned about their no-huddle," said Florida cornerback Joe Haden. "But that's all we've been practicing against, and our (scout team) no-huddle is faster than Oklahoma's no-huddle. I guarantee that. We'll be ready."

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#53 : January 09, 2009, 06:20:30 AM

I hate OU but I hate Florida even more so go SOONERS.

Sorry if your little analysis doesn't hold much water after these two hilarious posts:

Just like a typical bunch of crocs - you ignore the total aspect of things and only pick out what is important to you. You want to call yourself a "dynasty" or "titletown" yet you have not accomplished JACK. Any team can win once every ten years - a true dynasty is one that wins year in and year out and who cares if it was in the 90's - at least WE DID IT. Again let me make it clear we as FSU could care less about FU as until you step into our level you will and always will be out little biatches. I respect Miami a lot more than FU as at least they can be in the same discussion with us as a dynasty. Please just try to be in the top 5 more than 2 years, so now crawl back in your hole and come back out in ten years.

C'mon Runole, part of the problem is you are trying to have a conversation with a bunch of crocs. The only phrases they know are "go gators" and "superman wears Tebow" whatever. Who cares what they have done vs FSU the past four years, who cares that they won a National Championship. They win what every ten years and they act like they own the place. Put up the consistency FSU put up prior to this recent set-back. You arrogant red necks act like you are all that although last time I checked you lost to Auburn, you lost to LSU, you lost to Georgia, you got PUNKED by Georgia and you got beat by a sorry Michigan team after your so-called "great" team that beat an overrated Ohio State team. Gloat while you can as at FSU we put up consistent numbers while you guys are like a turtle that pokes his head out every ten years. Mark my words Florida will NOT win a National Championship this year, next year or any year in the near future. Urban Meyer will leave you just as your boy Superior did as Florida is a stepping stone - let me clarify for all the red necks - y'all in't gettin in dun!!

LMAO...what a joke.
Could not resisit quoting this crap again. Hilarious!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 09, 2009, 09:22:50 AM

Karen, do all of us Florida fans a favor and root for Florida State.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 09, 2009, 10:12:26 AM

Yeah you had a couple real winners "celebrating" the victory last night .... even I was a little embarassed for Gator fans/alumni.   :-[

Congrats by the way even though Utah is the real national champ ....  :P  8)

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 09, 2009, 02:03:34 PM

Yeah you had a couple real winners "celebrating" the victory last night .... even I was a little embarassed for Gator fans/alumni.  :-[
Can't be worse than being lumped in the same group with Luke and Guru.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: OU/Florida who you got? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools