Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Much to the dismay of many, Tebow decides to stay put « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 11, 2009, 10:04:51 PM

I think this will hurt Tebow in terms of becoming an NFL QB once he gets to the pros. Another year in the Gators shotgun system, in which he isn't required to read defenses, go through progressions nor call audibles will only hinder him further from being able to make the transition in an under-center nfl offense. I doubt whether Meyer would change his system just to give Tebow a better shot in the NFL; its his job to win games for the Gators and not to succumb to the potential demands of 1 guy, and clearly the system they have there now he feels is the best one for them to win games with.
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about Florida, Meyer, or Tebow. And Tebow is smart enough and has a huge will and tremendous work ethic to do anything he wants and shut up all the doubters and know-it-alls.

He isnt required to read defenses... true
doesnt call his own audible... true
shotgun system... true

what did he say that was wrong... other then your a Florida fan that hates someone pointing out flaws of a QB you love. If he was perfect like you think he would be a top 10 pick and #1 qb in the draft this year

Not required to read defenses?  When, pre-snap?  If so, you just described Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford as well.  Both shotgun systems, don't call audibles, and don't read defenses pre-snap. 

So, I guess they both suck too?

I know about McCoy and Bradford and the offenses.

But McCoy and Bradford dont have slow releases like Tebow.

Just pointing out what the poster said was true with Tebow as well as other QB like Bradford

bucs1

Practice Squad
#31 : January 11, 2009, 10:07:34 PM

OBF, why are all of those players wearing #29 in your sig?

1 of these players wore them each game in memory of Todd Doxey who died tubbing down the river during the summer with the team.

Thanks.  I don't follow much college football and that's the first time I heard of that sad story about Todd Doxey.  It's a great gesture the players did to remember him just like the Redskins' players wore Sean Taylor's number during the Pro Bowl in 2007.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 11, 2009, 10:07:48 PM

I was just being sarcastic..the guy will get drafted as a QB...but I dont see him being a starter in this league..

that QB option play wont work in the nfl.

Did you see Dan Orlovesky?  Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Hey, I don't know if he will be a starter either,  but I don't think his style of play in college will have much to do with it.  Either he will be able to pick up an NFL offense or not.  What he played in College will hardly be a factor.  It might be for his chances of playing right away, but whether or not he makes it long term there will be minimal impact.

Tim Couch ran a more pro-style offense, as did Ryan Leaf.  How did either work out?

Point is, as a player, you either have it or you don't.  

LFO

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 11, 2009, 10:09:17 PM

I think this will hurt Tebow in terms of becoming an NFL QB once he gets to the pros. Another year in the Gators shotgun system, in which he isn't required to read defenses, go through progressions nor call audibles will only hinder him further from being able to make the transition in an under-center nfl offense. I doubt whether Meyer would change his system just to give Tebow a better shot in the NFL; its his job to win games for the Gators and not to succumb to the potential demands of 1 guy, and clearly the system they have there now he feels is the best one for them to win games with.
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about Florida, Meyer, or Tebow. And Tebow is smart enough and has a huge will and tremendous work ethic to do anything he wants and shut up all the doubters and know-it-alls.

He isnt required to read defenses... true
doesnt call his own audible... true
shotgun system... true

what did he say that was wrong... other then your a Florida fan that hates someone pointing out flaws of a QB you love. If he was perfect like you think he would be a top 10 pick and #1 qb in the draft this year

Not required to read defenses?  When, pre-snap?  If so, you just described Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford as well.  Both shotgun systems, don't call audibles, and don't read defenses pre-snap. 

So, I guess they both suck too?

I know about McCoy and Bradford and the offenses.

But McCoy and Bradford dont have slow releases like Tebow.

Just pointing out what the poster said was true with Tebow as well as other QB like Bradford

So now it is the slow release?

Do any current QB's in the NFL have a slow release?

Also, can this be corrected/improved?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 11, 2009, 10:13:04 PM

I was just being sarcastic..the guy will get drafted as a QB...but I dont see him being a starter in this league..

Did you see Dan Orlovesky?  Ryan Fitzpatrick?

yea they stink.  You will have good QBs and bad QBs...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 11, 2009, 10:18:51 PM

Did you see Dan Orlovesky?  Ryan Fitzpatrick?

yea they stink.  You will have good QBs and bad QBs...

And my point is, if they can make it, He or anyone else has a shot for that matter.

As long as guys like that are starting in the NFL, I won't really count anyone out.  Maybe guys who are undersized, but outside of that, I wouldn't count out many others.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 11, 2009, 10:25:33 PM

Tebow staying works out well for everyone. And I think it's a good move, but all I care about is Percy Harvin declaring.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

LFO

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 11, 2009, 10:27:37 PM

Tebow staying works out well for everyone. And I think it's a good move, but all I care about is Percy Harvin declaring.

Early word is he is "leaning" towards staying.  Supposedly he'll tell Urban tomorrow.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 11, 2009, 10:32:51 PM

Early word is he is "leaning" towards staying. Supposedly he'll tell Urban tomorrow.
If he stays i'm jumpimg on the Maclin or Heyward-Bey bandwagon.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 11, 2009, 10:39:27 PM

I'm not sure if Tebow will ever be a great pro, or even a good pro QB.

But i do know, in the 4th quarter of his 2 biggest games (SECCG and BCSNCG) he went 11-11 for 168 yards and 3 TD's. 

That's not a guy I would count out. 

rpp224

Starter

#40 : January 12, 2009, 12:40:23 AM

He has the tools with his speed, size, and strength. A good QB coach can make him into an efficient pro QB. Tebow's work ethic and desire to win can make him into a great QB once he is able to get reads on defenses, knowing when to stay in the pocket and running only when needed (not like happy feet Garcia), audibling, etc. The way he played in all the games after the Ol' Miss loss showed his potential and even more his heart to carry the team on his shoulders to another championship. He had some mistakes, but played near perfect when his team needed him the most as that was seen with his 4th quarter performances in the last 2 games.

fishman

Starter

#41 : January 12, 2009, 06:55:27 AM

Good news. Now we, hopefully, don't have to listen too much more about the Bucs picking him this year although im sure there will still be a few hundred posts about the idea. Gators football is strong right now but fan intelligence factor, um, not so much. And on that note, the answer is no. Even if we do draft him with our 1st round pick this year, he wont be on our team in 2010. It doesnt work that way.

;)

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 12, 2009, 03:56:52 PM

Maybe Tebow is resigned to the fact he'll never be an NFL QB and most likely would have to change positions. So it really won't matter to him to have to learn to read defenses and call audibles. Besides, there's probably a few Florida ladies on campus he hasn't met yet. :)

I think he's doing alright in the ladies department

LFO

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 12, 2009, 06:11:33 PM

Maybe Tebow is resigned to the fact he'll never be an NFL QB and most likely would have to change positions. So it really won't matter to him to have to learn to read defenses and call audibles. Besides, there's probably a few Florida ladies on campus he hasn't met yet. :)

Or maybe he knew he was going to have shoulder surgery, was enjoying himself at UF, and knows he can get better playing at UF next year rather than sitting on an NFL bench. 

He's not going to change positions.  He will be an NFL QB or he won't. I'd bet my house on that.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 12, 2009, 07:00:40 PM

Didn't know we were in big need of a TE in the first place  ::)

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Much to the dismay of many, Tebow decides to stay put « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools