Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Much to the dismay of many, Tebow decides to stay put « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#75 : January 14, 2009, 11:26:05 AM

It's called looking around the league and seeing numerous QB's worse than him.

One thing to consider with Tebow is that he might be better than half the backups and #3's but he also may be a good enough football player that he can be an everydown player at another position. I think there's a certain element of that involved in the analysis that some forget.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#76 : January 14, 2009, 11:30:02 AM

"Something besides "he sucks" or "he is a joke" preferably. "

Never said either one. I just agree with all the scouts that haven't seen anything to indicate to them he might be an NFL QB. And you can be a Gator homer all you want, its expected.

Kiper & McShay are hardly ALL the scouts. I highly doubt NFL teams pay much attention to anything these two guys say. They're only on the air for the armchair GM's of the world. I wonder what they thought of Tom Brady, Terrelle Davis, Ryan Leaf and countless others these 2 self proclaimed experts missed on.

Most "draft gurus" want to be right and don't use their own opinion to project a player in the draft. Most use what they've heard from scouts and FO personnel to guide them in their projections. So if these two....as a for instance....are stating that Tebow will not be drafted as a QB....chances are that this is an opinion supported at least somewhat by NFL personnel people at least at the moment. That doesn't mean it's unanimous or even a little more than some but the opinion must be out there.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#77 : January 14, 2009, 11:32:19 AM

And, why could he run and/or block people on an every down basis, but not occasionally run over a LB/DB on a scramble? Zero logic in that.

You're correct about the logic but I think you miss the point.

No team wants the QB to go out of the lineup whereas if he's a TE and gets hurt it doesn't cause the problems that losing a QB can to an offense. So I think the ability to run becomes much less of an issue in the pro game. At the very least I do think he'd be used in spot duty as the NFL tries to incorporate the spread option a little into the pro game.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#78 : January 14, 2009, 12:45:45 PM

He's not going to change positions. He will be an NFL QB or he won't. I'd bet my house on that.

Yeah until they wave some cabbage in his face and tell him he can be a stud TE in the NFL.

Spread QB's in the NFL, name ONE that is even decent?

He has shown nothing to make anyone think he can be a good TE.  Can he run a route?  Can he catch?

But we do know he can throw. 

He'll be a QB.  Will he run a spread option?  No, not likely.  But last I checked the Patriots run a very good spread offense, almost exclusively from the shotgun.  Was Tom Brady a spread QB?  Was Cassell?  Hell, Cassel hadn't even started since High School. 

Let me give you a list of reasons why Tebow will play QB in the NFL:

Fitzpatrick
Orlovsky
Hill
Cassel
Jackson
O'Sullivan
Thigpen
Frerotte

Do I need to go any further?  All were starting NFL QB's last year.....and you think Tebow can't become one, or at the very least a capable backup? 

The term "spread" is very broad.  The Patriots run a spread offense.  Who are their QB's again?

Tebow will play QB, because that is what he is and what he wants to be.  If he doesn't succeed, he'll go on to other endeavors.  But I would bet anything he will not succumb to what arm chair QB's think of him.  He will give it all that he's got to become an NFL QB, and if it doesn't work out he will move on. 

If he was set on becoming a TE or FB (just ludicrous) he would have come out this year.  He will come out next year, and a team will pick him and groom him to be a QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Belichick take him R1 or R2, and groom him to be Brady's successor.  That is, unless someone else beats him to the punch. 

It doesn't matter if he's "decent."  It's whether or not he has a greater chance of an NFL career as a QB, which he has been great at his whole life, or at some other position he's never played.  He's not like these other guys (Randel El, Kordell) who didn't have the size or arm strength...he has that.  And Kordell even got a shot at QB.  So has Seneca Wallace, who has been pretty good as a backup QB. 

Name me one QB like Tebow?  There haven't been any. No option QB has had his combination of size, speed, arm strength, and accuracy.  None. 

Is this serious? Dude, stay off the boards for a few...

Sure, if he was going to be a TE or FB he would have come out this year...HUH? Would you rather stay and become possibly the greatest collegiate football player of all time OR would you rather get a jump on your new position at TE in the NFL.

Tim Tebow can't read a defense, he cannot throw the ball unless it is out of some wacko triple fake scheme. Look at the national championship game this year. Late throws, late reads he cannot check off and what was even more hilarious was watching him go up in flames against Michigan trailing by 2 scores and no threat of the triple fake PA pass.

Mark it down Tebow may try to play QB but he won't because spread QB's have proven that they simply cannot do it. Like I said, name ONE that is decent? I mean we have Heisman trophy winners in Alex Smith, guys like Vince Young...

Every throw design that Tebow or Smith or Young ever threw in college was premeditated and out of the spread scheme- faking it to a guy then faking it to another guy and then throwing the flat...

Wanna clarify something real quick. Tebow may be drafted and get some spot duty for a wrinkle here or there, never said he wouldn't but IMHO I think Tebow can do anything or will try because that is who he is- a competitor. I see him as a TE/backup QB/a wrinkle to run at people.

If you seriously think that Tim Tebow will be a frontline starter in the NFL just because then you are just crazy or a serious Tebow bandwagoner...

Have read all types of stuff on spread QB's. Do you realize the difference in your footwork, drops, reads that is takes to go undercenter buddy? Completely different ball game. Take off the Gator shades...

Baghead #2

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#79 : January 14, 2009, 03:48:05 PM

I mean we have Heisman trophy winners in Alex Smith,

. I see him as a TE/

Alex Smith won a Heisman?

Did I sleep through a few years of football?

And I'm interested in knowing how many LBs you've seen Tebow block and how many passes you've seen him catch?

Exactly. How you project a guy to TE with no knowledge of his ability to block or catch is beyond logic.

And I dont think anyone is saying the guy will be a frontline big time QB. But he will play QB.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#80 : January 14, 2009, 04:12:24 PM

Gator homers, wake the heck up. NO PRO SCOUTS beleive he's an NFL QB - what makes you smarter than them? Being a homer? Pretty much shows you don't know what you're talking about. Weurfel has a much more accurate arm than your boy... I just agree with all the scouts that haven't seen anything to indicate to them he might be an NFL QB.

can you let us know a few of these scouts?  maybe a link or something?  or at the very least what teams have publicly (or privately) that NO ONE believes he's a QB?  and what makes wuerffel more accurate, because it sure wasnt his completion percentage...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#81 : January 14, 2009, 04:28:40 PM

Gator homers, wake the heck up. NO PRO SCOUTS beleive he's an NFL QB - what makes you smarter than them? Being a homer? Pretty much shows you don't know what you're talking about. Weurfel has a much more accurate arm than your boy... I just agree with all the scouts that haven't seen anything to indicate to them he might be an NFL QB.

Of course they can't. Its all stuff they're parroting because Mel Kiper is supposed to be some super genius and if Kiper thinks Tebow will be a TE in the NFL, well, it must be true...

As someone else said - no one knows for sure what Tebow will do in the NFL. He may never amount to anything as a quarterback but to say the kid doesn't have a chance is just asanine. He's physically a freak - he looks like  a freaking linebacker. He's got a strong arm and he is accurate. His release is weird but its better than it was last year and he'll get better at it. Its no worse than Bryan Leftwhich and he started for years in this league (and played pretty well early on). Tebow is a born leader, he has a passion for football, and is an inspirational figure. How many prospects can you say that about?

The same people dissin' Tebow laud Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy, who play in similar if not identical offenses to the Gators. In fact, many colleges have gone to the spread - so the NFL is going to be in a pickle if they decide they can't pick guys who run that style of offense.
can you let us know a few of these scouts?  maybe a link or something?  or at the very least what teams have publicly (or privately) that NO ONE believes he's a QB?  and what makes wuerffel more accurate, because it sure wasnt his completion percentage...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#82 : January 14, 2009, 04:31:59 PM

Tebow has too much talent to not get a chance in the NFL. Don't know how he'll do but if some of these guys who play QB in this league can get a chance then why not this guy?

And where did this TE nonsense come from?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#83 : January 14, 2009, 06:44:00 PM

He's not going to change positions. He will be an NFL QB or he won't. I'd bet my house on that.

Yeah until they wave some cabbage in his face and tell him he can be a stud TE in the NFL.

Spread QB's in the NFL, name ONE that is even decent?

He has shown nothing to make anyone think he can be a good TE.  Can he run a route?  Can he catch?

But we do know he can throw. 

He'll be a QB.  Will he run a spread option?  No, not likely.  But last I checked the Patriots run a very good spread offense, almost exclusively from the shotgun.  Was Tom Brady a spread QB?  Was Cassell?  Hell, Cassel hadn't even started since High School. 

Let me give you a list of reasons why Tebow will play QB in the NFL:

Fitzpatrick
Orlovsky
Hill
Cassel
Jackson
O'Sullivan
Thigpen
Frerotte

Do I need to go any further?  All were starting NFL QB's last year.....and you think Tebow can't become one, or at the very least a capable backup? 

The term "spread" is very broad.  The Patriots run a spread offense.  Who are their QB's again?

Tebow will play QB, because that is what he is and what he wants to be.  If he doesn't succeed, he'll go on to other endeavors.  But I would bet anything he will not succumb to what arm chair QB's think of him.  He will give it all that he's got to become an NFL QB, and if it doesn't work out he will move on. 

If he was set on becoming a TE or FB (just ludicrous) he would have come out this year.  He will come out next year, and a team will pick him and groom him to be a QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Belichick take him R1 or R2, and groom him to be Brady's successor.  That is, unless someone else beats him to the punch. 

It doesn't matter if he's "decent."  It's whether or not he has a greater chance of an NFL career as a QB, which he has been great at his whole life, or at some other position he's never played.  He's not like these other guys (Randel El, Kordell) who didn't have the size or arm strength...he has that.  And Kordell even got a shot at QB.  So has Seneca Wallace, who has been pretty good as a backup QB. 

Name me one QB like Tebow?  There haven't been any. No option QB has had his combination of size, speed, arm strength, and accuracy.  None. 

Is this serious? Dude, stay off the boards for a few...

Sure, if he was going to be a TE or FB he would have come out this year...HUH? Would you rather stay and become possibly the greatest collegiate football player of all time OR would you rather get a jump on your new position at TE in the NFL.

Tim Tebow can't read a defense, he cannot throw the ball unless it is out of some wacko triple fake scheme. Look at the national championship game this year. Late throws, late reads he cannot check off and what was even more hilarious was watching him go up in flames against Michigan trailing by 2 scores and no threat of the triple fake PA pass.

Mark it down Tebow may try to play QB but he won't because spread QB's have proven that they simply cannot do it. Like I said, name ONE that is decent? I mean we have Heisman trophy winners in Alex Smith, guys like Vince Young...

Every throw design that Tebow or Smith or Young ever threw in college was premeditated and out of the spread scheme- faking it to a guy then faking it to another guy and then throwing the flat...

Wanna clarify something real quick. Tebow may be drafted and get some spot duty for a wrinkle here or there, never said he wouldn't but IMHO I think Tebow can do anything or will try because that is who he is- a competitor. I see him as a TE/backup QB/a wrinkle to run at people.

If you seriously think that Tim Tebow will be a frontline starter in the NFL just because then you are just crazy or a serious Tebow bandwagoner...

Have read all types of stuff on spread QB's. Do you realize the difference in your footwork, drops, reads that is takes to go undercenter buddy? Completely different ball game. Take off the Gator shades...

LOL

I think you are the one who needs to go away for a few. Do you even watch Football?  Tebow always throws the flat, huh?  He actually throws a pretty good deep ball. 

Again, is Tavaris Jackson better than Tim Tebow?  Tim Tebow can't throw?  Seriously, have you ever even watched him play or do you just read some talking head or believe what you read on a message board?  Tebow isn't perfect by any means, but he can throw, and he can read a defense.  If you don't understand that you just don't watch football or don't understand it. 

I saw the national championship this year.  I saw a man take over the game and lead his team to victory.  Did Bradford do that?  What exactly did Saint Bradford do so much better than Tebow?  It certainly wasn't play QB. 

I can't wait for next year, I am sure the haters will be out in full force since he HAS to go to the NFL.  I suspect a lot of you will be shocked when you see that Tebow is drafted as a QB and drafted high.

I'll end with this....there are 2 "problems" Tebow has.  #1, not can he read a defense, but can he read a defense dropping back.  #2, a slow release.

Neither problem is too major to hinder him from being a QB.  Big Ben has a slow release, hasn't stopped him from being a super bowl winning QB.  Just because Tebow has never had to read a defense under center, doesn't mean he can't.  Bradford doesn't read a defense either, neither do most college QB's.  They almost ALL have to learn this in the NFL.  Given, Tebow's drive, determination, and intelligence, I don't see why he can't learn this either. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#84 : January 14, 2009, 06:46:45 PM

Tebow has too much talent to not get a chance in the NFL. Don't know how he'll do but if some of these guys who play QB in this league can get a chance then why not this guy?

And where did this TE nonsense come from?

Exactly.

At any rate, hopefully all the Tebow talk will die down since he won't be coming out until next year anyway.  Of course it is good for him...just as it is for most Junior QB's to come back......History shows QB's have a much greater chance to succeed in the NFL if they stay their Senior year.

As for TE, yeah, it is crazy.  People think just because of his size and ability to run, he should be TE.  Forget that he can throw the ball damn well.  It is funny to watch idiots try and rip the kid.  
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Much to the dismay of many, Tebow decides to stay put « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools